Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
SJG351
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default 6 CYL to V8 Conversion Registration Issue?

Hi Guys, I have heard from a couple of people in Vic that they had experienced registration trouble when they tried to change their 6cyl car to an 8, i am talking about cars that came factory optioned with V8s ok, so it is a straight swap of all the usual V8 gear to make effectively a std V8 car. The problem has been the body number comes up on the system as 6cyl and registration is denied unless the car is made 6cyl again? Anyone else heard of this?
Cheers,
Steve.

SJG351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Default Re: 6 CYL to V8 Conversion Registration Issue?

Wouldnt you just need some sort of mod plate etc (or whatever its called in Vic)
If Vic runs under the new modification rules, then say a 351 into an XY should be fine, as it was a factory option. If factory V8 needed certain brakes, then you would need them to be fitted. I think that in NSW such a mod would come under owner certified.

There are other issues such as a late model EFI engine into an earlier model, you need all the modern emissions junk.

Anything on vicroads website??
redxm is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

taken from vic roads web site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Roads
Change of engine
1. Replacement engine is identical to the original engine, or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle
The optional engine must be offered in Australia by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle (or certified variants). The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying the engine is optional for the vehicle model, and that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that optional engine have been completed.

You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to have the vehicle's engine inspected to confirm the new engine details. No appointment is required. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form. See Below

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...m_0513_WEB.pdf

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Jason[98.EL]; 14-12-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
SJG351
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL] View Post
taken from vic roads web site
Thanks for this is it current? All i know is that both guys were given the excuse of the body number comes up in the system as a 6cyl car if you want a V8 you need a V8 bodied car? I have a 6cyl to V8 conversion FD LTD coming up for Roadworthy/Registration soon and i don't want these kind of hassles myself, It is bugging me enough to go to the local VicRoads branch and find out.
Cheers,
Steve.
Old 15-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

Needs to be checked by engineer & signed off stating it has met the V8 requirements.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #6
SJG351
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Needs to be checked by engineer & signed off stating it has met the V8 requirements.
Is this a new rule? and you know this for sure? And who is supposed to pay the $500+ to the engineer? Vic Roads needs to be *****d and burnt and i don't care what order it happens in! nobody is going to want to touch a car in Victoria soon, it will be too much of a pain.
Old 15-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #7
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

I think it's safe to assume the vehicle's owner pays for the engineer's certificate in this case.
Old 15-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
monzie

I had to get an engineers certificate when my 05 F350 ambo was converted to a tray body. Cost me $350 [18 months ago] with 2 inspections, money well spent in my opinion, no rego hassles if I sell, you will not get a roadworthy with a different body fitted and no insurance knock back on a claim. Even have it noted on my policy.

Pete

Last edited by monzie; 15-12-2013 at 12:00 PM.
monzie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by monzie View Post
I had to get an engineers certificate when my 05 F350 ambo was converted to a tray body. Cost me $350 [18 months ago] with 2 inspections, money well spent in my opinion, no rego hassles if I sell, you will not get a roadworthy with a different body fitted and no insurance knock back on a claim. Even have it noted on my policy.

Pete
I'll have to do the same thing with my ambo if I convert it to a tray back.

What was involved in the process, was it just removing the rear body and getting a tray made up, then having it seen by an engineer?

I've got a question on the engine conversion front, I've got a Cummins 6BT here, its a 5.9L I6 turbo diesel engine, ambo currently has a 6.5L TD V8 under the hood, would I have to go for emissions testing even though I'm going to a smaller, newer engine? My engine is stamped Jan 2004, the one in the ambo is 2001.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just to add to my post above

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic roads
Change of engine
1. Replacement engine is identical to the original engine, or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle
The optional engine must be offered in Australia by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle (or certified variants). The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying the engine is optional for the vehicle model, and that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that optional engine have been completed.

You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to have the vehicle's engine inspected to confirm the new engine details. No appointment is required. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form.

2. Replacement engine is not of a type offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle or where alterations, or changes to the vehicle's frame or structure are made, and/or specially fabricated supports or structures are used
You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre for an inspection of the vehicle to confirm the new engine details. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form and provide VicRoads with:
a VASS Approval Certificate from a VicRoads Vehicle Assessment Signatory
an original receipt for the purchase of the engine as proof of ownership of the engine

3. Replacement engine is not of a type and/or make offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle, but is equivalent in general configuration, power, mass, and emissions standard to that of the original or an optional engine for the vehicle model and can be installed without any structural alterations.
The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that engine, have been completed.
A Change of Vehicle Description form must be completed providing new engine details. An inspection to confirm engine details is also required unless a Certificate of Roadworthiness or VASS Approval Certificate including the new engine number is provided (only for a currently registered Victorian vehicle). An original receipt for the purchase of the engine must be provided as proof of ownership of the engine.
When a VASS Approval Certificate has been supplied for a replacement engine, then an equivalent replacement engine can be fitted without another VASS Approval Certificate being presented (eg 350 c.i. V8 engine replaced with 350 c.i. V8 engine).
and here is the link

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...ifications.htm

the car only needs an engineers cert if the engine was not offered as part of the original release for that model

ie If i wanted to put a v8 in my el as long as ford released the el with a v8 i can fit it as long as the capacity was available in that model so i can fit a 5ltr into it with only a visit to vic roads with the change of engine paper work and it will be done

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Jason[98.EL]; 15-12-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I might need to talk to an engineer, wasn't offered as an option, its also about 250kg heavier than the V8.

http://www.vassengineer.com/About-Us.html

I emailed these guys, $50 for an email, I hope he tells me what I want to hear lol.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 15-12-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 15-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
SJG351
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL] View Post
just to add to my post above

and here is the link

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...ifications.htm

the car only needs an engineers cert if the engine was not offered as part of the original release for that model

ie If i wanted to put a v8 in my el as long as ford released the el with a v8 i can fit it as long as the capacity was available in that model so i can fit a 5ltr into it with only a visit to vic roads with the change of engine paper work and it will be done
Cheers for that! I will take this with me and see if i can get some sort of satisfaction from VicRoads that when i bring my car in they will play nice
Old 16-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
monzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I'll have to do the same thing with my ambo if I convert it to a tray back.

What was involved in the process, was it just removing the rear body and getting a tray made up, then having it seen by an engineer?

I've got a question on the engine conversion front, I've got a Cummins 6BT here, its a 5.9L I6 turbo diesel engine, ambo currently has a 6.5L TD V8 under the hood, would I have to go for emissions testing even though I'm going to a smaller, newer engine? My engine is stamped Jan 2004, the one in the ambo is 2001.

The main thing is you are changing from, in my case, 4 seats back to 2 seater.
My first inspection was a general look to see what, if any thing was needed, second was to check that it had been done. He checked the back wall of the cab [original], that the rear window was approved, the number of seats, tray size and mountings, mud guards and mud flaps, tail lights etc etc. He took hundreds of photo's of every thing including close-ups of ADR approval numbers on tail light lens, reflectors and rear window, compliance plate and engine number .
The only thing extra I had to do was fit amber side reflectors to the side of the tray and a couple of red ones to the rear
At the second look he watched as I fitted the blue approval plate in the engine bay, [he supplied the drill and pop rivets] and then took pics of it fitted, handed me my VASS certificate, all done.

Fitting a Cummins would need approval of the engine mounts I would think.

Pete
Old 16-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Thats why I want to leave it as an ambo, everyones like convert it to a tray back but there is a lot involved. Can you legally use those 2 seats in the back? My compliance plate says 4 seater on the ambo body, and the seats have seat belts.

But the rego only says 2 seater, but it is registered as an ambulance.
Old 18-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
monzie

I would think the plate on the body would cover the seats in the ambo and if it was OK for paramedics to travel in them why not your family/friends.
I obtained a copy of the original [when it was built as a ambo] VASS certificate from Vicroads. Because mine has a chassic extension having the first certificate made it a lot easier to do the second one for the tray. Your Chev being an older model might not still be on record. Give VR a call, never know your luck in a big city.

Pete
Old 18-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #16
SJG351
Donating Member
Donating Member2

They told me they don't have accurate records for vehicles earlier than 1980 or 1986 i cant remember exactly but the point is the options they gave me were good and bad, and it would depend on the official on the day as to what you got how did these clowns get to be in charge?
Old 20-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #17
monzie

The VSB modification codes that are relevent for my 05 model F350,

2005 First VASS certificate, ambulance body, 4 seats, 1 stretcher.
H1-chassic extension
C1-longer tailshaft
F1-rear air suspension
J1-body mounts
M1-fuel tank
K1,K2-seats and seat belts

2012 Second, as above, tray body, 2 seats
LK1- tray

Don't know if this is any help to you with the numbers on your body compliance plate

Pete

Last edited by monzie; 20-12-2013 at 11:44 AM.