Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Question When to re-torque cyl head/drop oil after initial run in?

Hi all, need your learned advice before Saturday. I and Ansith have recently put a fresh xflow six in his XC.

It's done about 300km as of today. Anisth leaves on a road trip from Brisbane to Melbourne in 3 days time returning in about two weeks.

I normally wait until a fresh engine has done 1000+ km's before I drop the oil/filter and re-torque the cyl head bolts. This has been my practice for 30 years. Ansith won't reach 1000k's before he leaves. We filled the sump with Penrite 15w40 (non synthetic) and the recommended run in supplement as recommended by the cam manufacturer. I've recommended that Ansith run Penrite HPR30 (again, non synthetic) after the initial oil change.

Please don't turn this into a debate about oil brands, but oil grades would be welcomed. Yes, I've stated the brand I prefer and have trusted since I was 16 - just saying!

My real dilemma is: do I re-torque the head with low k's or leave it until he comes back? We used a Permaseal brand of head gasket. What do you guys think?

Appreciate your replies. Thanks and cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
superyob
Banned

Default Re: When to re-torque cyl head/drop oil after initial run in?

I have not re-torqued cylinder head bolts since the late 80s (possibly). There is no need with modern mono torque type head gaskets...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

What sort of oil pressure do you have now Dave?

I'd do the oil and filter. Run HPR30. Re-torque the head when he returns. I'd also change the coolant too.

Load the boot up with some spare oil and 10 litres of water just in case.

It would be nice if anyone from Melbourne with a bit of experience can catch up with James and look the engine over when he is down there to make sure it's going well.
Old 19-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

I would - change the oil now. Put some more zinc supplement in and retorque after he comes home, if you feel the need. If the gasket surfaces were nice and straight and the threads in the block clean, I dont see the need to retorque. Thats my preferance, and practice for 20 years anyway.
I also use Hylomar on the gasket but.
Out of curiousity , Alloy or Iron head?
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the xc days cylinder head was retightened at 1500 service, but I believe some of these permaseal gasgets don't need to be re torqued? personally I would re do them anyway, headbolt retorque on the x flow is a piece of cake........ don't forget to do the one with battery lead bolted to the front head bolt .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He should be fine for his 1000klm trip.......Re tension when he gets home.....Just don't use synthetic oil.....Mineral oil only for old engine.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
What sort of oil pressure do you have now Dave?

I'd do the oil and filter. Run HPR30. Re-torque the head when he returns. I'd also change the coolant too.

Load the boot up with some spare oil and 10 litres of water just in case.

It would be nice if anyone from Melbourne with a bit of experience can catch up with James and look the engine over when he is down there to make sure it's going well.
50psi oil pressure @ 2000 rpm with the 15w40 and the very liquid 500ml of run in supplement. This is with a standard volume Melling pump, more than adequate for a motor that doesn't have oiling problems. I can't recall offhand what the factory specs are - but I think they were 40psi when the relief valve kicked in.

Spare water is already in the boot. We'll drop the oil/filter and water/radiator sock on Saturday anyway - can't hurt, will change it again when/"if" Ansith gets back.

I really like the idea of not re-torqueing the head bolts before the trip. Snapping head bolts after the trip is a great idea!

Superyob, I can't trust "monotorque" type head gaskets - although with TTY (torque to yield bolts) I've had no problems from the EA Falcon onwards with the single torqueing.

Cheers!

Old 19-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Normally after 1000 k's
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always retorque cylinder heads,mas I've had mono torque gaskets leak due to I believe them not being retorqued, personaly though I'd wait until he returns

As for the oil hmmm I'd probably change it before the trip and I always use HPR 30 any way

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #10
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxm View Post
I would - change the oil now. Put some more zinc supplement in and retorque after he comes home, if you feel the need. If the gasket surfaces were nice and straight and the threads in the block clean, I dont see the need to retorque. Thats my preferance, and practice for 20 years anyway.
I also use Hylomar on the gasket but.
Out of curiousity , Alloy or Iron head?
Iron head redxm, yep, I know alloys are more fussy.

The iron head was machined and the block was zero decked - all fresh and dry faces were used prior to the fitment of the head gasket.

This ride has has given us some grief, but I think it's coming to fruition now.