Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
Rodge
Banned

Default 2013 - What a tough Year !!

Reflecting back on 2013 has it been tough to be a Ford enthusiast or what !!

Starting off we had months and months or serious on-going speculation and then the announcement finally came in May that we'd all be fearing for a very long time, the end of Falcon production in 2016.

Then we had months and months when Ford left FPV enthusiasts in the lurch not knowing whether there would be a FPV replacement when the refreshed Falcon was released in 2014.

Then the announcement that FPV was to finish up and then to cap off a horror year we've just had Holden's announcement.

The Mustang release was a breath of fresh air, very much needed as to be honest I felt I was suffocating under a barrage of bad news.

Its been the toughest year I can ever remember to try and keep the faith and i'll be pleased to get it squared away in the ledger and over and done with, surely 2014 can't be nearly as tough, surely not ?

Not too sure what the point of this thread is really, i just felt I needed to get the sentiment that its been a tough year off my cheast and the Mustang gives me some hope for the future.

Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2013 - What a tough Year !!

not only Ford, a lot of companies, businesses, private folks are doing it hard.

life is getting harder and is more money orientated than ever.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
OCTANEBOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
not only Ford, a lot of companies, businesses, private folks are doing it hard.

life is getting harder and is more money orientated than ever.
To true, looking at the way the current government is talking up on debt I think we have a few more **** years ahead before things start to look up in all industries across Australia & NZ. I myself should know what the new owners of the mine I work at will do in the first quarter of next year when they take over. Retrench, re-employ, close... Its all relevant when ya owe a bank someone else's cash. Will still be going out of my way to support Australian businesses, farmers & the like because the tank is running empty in regards to ability to control our own destiny in Australia. Hope everyone has a great Christmas anyway & things go better for all of us in 2014
OCTANEBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I talk to a lot of folks from all walks of life in my line of business, from Bankers to builders, from lawyers to layman, no-one has any faith or "good news" in the coming foreseeable years.

increased debt by the private sector as well as the proposed lifting of the debt ceiling by govco (or has that been knocked off completely without back room deals in parliament?) has to be repaid in some way....

our income streams have been sold off leaving just the tax payers to foot the ever increasing bill.

sorry to say the taxpayer has been flogged to death.

it seems to be okay for pollies to bury their collective, well paid, head's in the sand and say trust me folks everything is okay.

I guess we simply have to have faith that we will pull through without another depression or war (always good to reinvigorate the economy).

I'm not looking forward to the new financial year, severe cutbacks are forecast as well as complete fund cutting.

Nero fiddles while Rome burns comes to mind.

never mind "here comes Santa Claus!" all will be well whilst Rudolph leads the way.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think after the Holden news it will change many peoples perceptions of the state of the economy.....2014 will be the beginning of a steady and slow deflation process where people may offload debt, close business's etc etc.....

The carbon tax, massive investment in real estate and electricity prices have contributed to this very expensive economy we presently live in.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
nstg8a

Not all doom and gloom everywhere... Get into warehousing, we are absolutely flat out at the moment.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Wasnt a bad year for me, purchased my 2 new Ford. Couldnt be happier with it and my last one for that matter.

Loosing the Falcon isnt good though, but Mustang coming is awesome.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The ford closure is the negative for me. Not having a home built falcon will be hard. Loss of an Australian Icon. I guess its back to the euro's for me. But I plan to hang onto the FG long term and when time comes to buy a new car, I'll look to other manufacturers if the ford euro's dont cut it.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

um....ford won Bathurst! thats always a good thing and a bit rare
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #10
XW-BAXR6T

Are you kidding me? This years been the best year for me, its the year i finally settled with my ex, meaning i got nothing to do with her & im free to mod & cruise my babies....i havent stopped partying since july & thats also when i got my new place also

Nick.
XW-BAXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
XW-BAXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Not all doom and gloom everywhere... Get into warehousing, we are absolutely flat out at the moment.
Perhaps for imports yes, but for our local manufacturing which employes local people best indicator is our packaging industry, if they doing good then our local economy is healthy.

Nick.
XW-BAXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #12
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Australia has become a big dumping ground for overseas products so we need more logistics transport and warehousing to store and move the products around the country.
Old 21-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Reflecting back on 2013 has it been tough to be a Ford enthusiast or what !!

Starting off we had months and months or serious on-going speculation and then the announcement finally came in May that we'd all be fearing for a very long time, the end of Falcon production in 2016.

Then we had months and months when Ford left FPV enthusiasts in the lurch not knowing whether there would be a FPV replacement when the refreshed Falcon was released in 2014.

Then the announcement that FPV was to finish up and then to cap off a horror year we've just had Holden's announcement.

The Mustang release was a breath of fresh air, very much needed as to be honest I felt I was suffocating under a barrage of bad news.

Its been the toughest year I can ever remember to try and keep the faith and i'll be pleased to get it squared away in the ledger and over and done with, surely 2014 can't be nearly as tough, surely not ?

Not too sure what the point of this thread is really, i just felt I needed to get the sentiment that its been a tough year off my cheast and the Mustang gives me some hope for the future.
First world problems aye

Frankly I thought it was a great year with the build up to the Mustang reveal, the Bathurst win and then the actual Mustang revealed as one smoking hot weapon.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #14
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good topic Rodge although as tough as it's been with all the Ford/FPV going ons, there is plenty of light at the end of the tunnel & for a change, no it's not a train coming the other way.
I still reckon when Ford dumped the 351's & 302's in 82 was a much much worse scenorio than what we have now. Sure there is no more GT Falcons but they are going to replace it with one very handy piece of kit in the Mustang. Much different from 82 when they dumped the V8's & gave us.....wait for it....The fuel injected 4.1 Falcon!
In a business sense & unlike the other mob on the other side of the tracks, I think Ford have handled this very well & while I will never part with my GTP, I am very much looking forward to the Mustang.
My 2 cents worth anyway...
Old 21-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
Rodge
Banned

I think the vast majority of us on here recognise the enormity of the fundamental changes that have occurred this year and 2013 goes down in the ledger as the year both Australian motoring icons, Ford and Holden were officially put on death row and just for good measure FPV is first to get axed. FPV getting such little support from Ford still grinds my gearstick.

Thanks Rob, thankfully there is some light at the end of the tunnell, thank God for small mercies
Old 21-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #16
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

One door closes another opens, that's life......bring on the Mustang....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman View Post
Australia has become a big dumping ground for overseas products so we need more logistics transport and warehousing to store and move the products around the country.
If it follows trend it will die off soon and will be quiet for a while, transport and logistics has always been sporadic.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #18
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Waiting patiently for our regular Grim Reaper to make his comment.............
Old 21-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #19
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

does anyone know who is likely to be the car manufacturer likely to take up residence in South Australia (or Victoria).

I hope for our parts suppliers it is soon after the departure of Ford and Holden.

Old 21-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's certainly been a hectic year all round. Politics aside, the bad news has come in with the changing landscape of Australian manufacturing being at the forefront, only time will tell if we the people can muster and move forward. I've always believed we should of stopped building cars years ago and move onto science and technology projects. Unfortunately now China and India are screaming ahead, I think we've missed the collective boat. Also it doesn't help that the Aussie attitude has not only helped in destroying manufacturing here, but has given the leg up to importers.

Rant begins - for me, this year has been a massive 'what about me' year, it may be because my partner has been very active on the likes of Facebook where the loudest voices come from the laziest SOB's out there, their cries of 'no more funding' 'stop the boats/blow up the boats' and 'look after our own first' mantra's have made me disgusted to call myself an Australian. With an annual welfare bill in excess off 120 billion dollars (more than health care) and 1/4 Aussies living off the welfare system, something, somewhere has gone tragically wrong.

With Ford and Holden's decisions now on the table (many would say its been coming for a long time, others have been busy doing their best to bring it about), thoughts must now move to employing the 6000 odd taxpaying citizens, I guess on the bright side, as of writing this novel, these 6000 odd people have a guaranteed job for the next 3 years. Which is certainly more than most of us can say. But it begs the question, what new industries can production line workers move in to?

I, For one am a tradesman, this year for me has been my biggest ever. I've bought 2 new cars and a house. My future has never been secure, people in the trade will no, you never really no whats around the corner, most guys may have work for a month, or a couple weeks, but don't really know whats going to happen after that. So heading into the new year, uncertainty, as ever, hangs over the head of many. We watch, wait and hope the system doesn't screw everything up for us. Knowing you have very little control over anything (even your own life really) makes some question what on earth they are going to do./Rant

So, to all those out there, looking at having a go next year, I encourage you to go for it, but be smart. Over the past 3 years, many many hundreds of business's have gone belly up, there has been a lot of 'to big to fail' business's and companies that have failed to move with the times. Be flexible, be pliable re-skill whenever/where ever you can, streamline your systems and plan for dark, dry times ahead. That way, at least, when the light comes back out, you'll be in the position to take advantage.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #21
monzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
One door closes another opens, that's life......bring on the Mustang....
Sometimes one closes and the next on slams in your face, **** happens.

An optimist says the glass is half full.
A pessimist says it's half empty

and an engineer says this glass is twice as big as it needs to be!!

Merry Xmas to everyone
Pete

Last edited by monzie; 21-12-2013 at 02:29 PM.
monzie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #22
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
does anyone know who is likely to be the car manufacturer likely to take up residence in South Australia (or Victoria).

I hope for our parts suppliers it is soon after the departure of Ford and Holden.
Hyundai ????
Old 21-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #23
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Rockhampton this week five business closed. CampCo, Auto Pro, Robyn's Kitchen, Studio 2 Night Club and Rocky Cabs sold to Black and White....2014 is not going to be a good year for anyone..car wise, this time next year will be very different..FH ? or Mondeo as Falcon??,
new Focus,...I think more car dealers will close and some will cease trading , Citroen ?, Peugot ?, Renault ?, not looking good for 2014....
Old 21-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #24
gtfpv
GT

WELL THE YEAR HAS BEEN A SURPRISE WITH ALL THE DOOM AND GLOOM . I never felt like my standards of living were lowering under labor , but now liberals in , they are telling me there is going to be pain ...
anyways , I'LL BE paying the mortgage down as i did last year , no big new ventures for me in the new year . the libs have run a big FEAR campaign , and i'm not confident of buying anything or having a job , so i simply will just pay off the home .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #25
Rodge
Banned

^^ Its a bit hard for me to assess from here in N.Z. but it seems to me Australia dodged the worst effects of the global financial crisis when it intially hit in 2007 but the chooks appear to be coming home to roost and its impact on Australia is merely delayed rather than avoided, is that a fair call ?
4 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #26
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
^^ Its a bit hard for me to assess from here in N.Z. but it seems to me Australia dodged the worst effects of the global financial crisis when it intially hit in 2007 but the chooks appear to be coming home to roost and its impact on Australia is merely delayed rather than avoided, is that a fair call ?
Spot on.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #27
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Right on cue................
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #28
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If a car company's announcement is the worst thing that happened to you this year, and that makes this year worse than any other year, be very thankful you haven't had to face any real problems yet.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #29
stevz
Banned

I would definitely say 2013 has been the year from hell and sadly all I see is a grim future ahead for Australia. The economy is in the toilet, everything is being taken over by Asians and everything that makes Australia a great place to live is slowly eroding away.
As for Aussie cars fans, I don't see much light at the end of the tunnel. On the Ford side, Mustang is irrelevant to me as I don't buy 2 door cars. The rest of the range is a collection of buzz boxes and suv's which I have no interest in either. On the Holden side, another collection of buzz boxes and suv's and a fwd Chinese Commodore that I wouldn't touch with a 20 foot pole.
Some here wonder why I am so negative... Well that's because realistically there is hardly anything positive to look forward to.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #30
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Need help? In Australia, call 13 11 14

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post