Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
Dustproof

Default Starting Problem

Hi all,

I have a 2010 Focus TDCi Powershift, firstly, sometimes the car will not start. It will start to turn over and stop, then there is a buzzing coming from the dash. Eventually I will get it to start but it can take some time to do it, it has nearly stranded my wife and was causing me heart ache today.

Secondly, the Radio is giving me greif. Sometimes, it will not turn on leaving the time in the right top corner, I turned it off and on again which didn't work. I have to turn the engine off and start again, then it will work. Now it will not turn on immediately after starting the engine, it will take around a minute and then it comes on.

OK back to the Starting problem, when the starter engages as it is supposed to, it seems to turn over OK. I am starting to think both problems are linked, would it be a possible battery problem. After the car is warmed up, I don't have a problem.

I am used to having a battery that is going flat, that's easy. When the engine turns over OK, it is fine and turns over pretty normally. Does anyone know if the car has a battery condition system that looks at cranking power and stops the engine from turning over?

Thanks
Noel

Old 16-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Starting Problem

sound like it may have lost a cell and thus not putting out max voltage.
If it is the original battery that is likely the cause plus they never get maintenance because of all the plastic stuff you need to remove to get to them.
My TDCi battery lasted 4 .5 years
marg99 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
scottc

Sorry to add to an older post, but I have a 2011 diesel focus, and the battery has died.
Is Ford the only place to buy these batteries? My Focus has a push button start, and the manual says it has to have the correct spec battery. The height of it seems a bit different to the usual century etc. batteries?

Scott.
scottc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2015, 08:43 AM   #4
Dustproof

No Scott, you can get a battery from any battery outlet. They are expensive though, they have the same performance to a Landcruiser. They are fiddely to fit but not that hard, there are some YouTube videos to show how it's done.

My problem turned out to be the battery, the car was doing weird things like the radios wouldn't work properly or at all, the care would try to start but it would just click and stop. I put the new battery in and it all works as it should. The Ford techs say the system does a crank test on the battery, if it doesn't meet the minimum crank voltage, it just stops.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:14 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

diesels run high compression so you need a more powerful battery to crank them over, i would buy the best and most powerful battery i could fit in the battery tray if it was me.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: