Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Ford's 400kW Mustang spied

Quote:

This could be the high-performance Ford Mustang to replace the FPV Falcon GT on Australian roads.

This Mustang has been snapped testing at the Nurburgring in Germany and is expected to replace the famous Shelby Mustang at the top of the pony car’s range.

It will reportedly carry the SVT name, as Ford’s partnership with Carroll Shelby’s famous hot-rod shop ended when Shelby passed away in 2012.

Despite the new name the new model will remain a serious performance car. Upgrades are expected to include a supercharged V8 engine capable of close to 400kW.

But it will need all the grunt Ford can muster to compete with the likes of the 432kW Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and Dodge’s 527kW Charger SRT Hellcat.

Other changes for the Mustang SVT should include larger wheels and brakes, with carbon ceramic brakes believed to be under development. A more aggressive body kit which will include a restyled front end and larger rear diffuser is also anticipated.

Ford Australia has currently only confirmed that it will offer the four-cylinder turbocharged and 5.0-litre V8 variants of the Mustang when it goes on sale locally in 2015.

Meanwhile, a report on American racing website Sportscar365.com speculates that the blue oval is preparing to revive its iconic GT supercar.

Citing unnamed industry sources the reports suggests that work is well underway on the new GT and could launch in 2016 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the original GT40’s first win at the Le Mans 24 Hours sports car race.
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/f...716-zth93.html

Old 16-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
grey_esp
Greys tuf too :-)

Default Re: Ford's 400kW Mustang spied

Does that car have roll bars in it? Is that normal for a manufacturer to test with? Also those rear guards look seriously pumped. And judging by the bonnet vent, Im thinking inter-cooled so chances are its probably making more than 400.
grey_esp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
XBGTFGGTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^ If the current car is producing 660hp, then the replacement wont be any less especially now Dodge have the hell cat out. The trinity engine (5.8 S/C) costs Ford a lot of money to produce and we all know what potential lies in the Coyote so Im thinking the top of the line Stang will be a serious car.

XA GT Manual
XBGT Manual
XC GXL
1982 XE S-Pac V8
2011 F6 Velvet
2011 GT Manual Black/Gold
2020 GT500KR
FG-X Sprint
F150 Shelby
XBGTFGGTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Already saving my pennies for this

Gee I hope they don't just offer manual though.
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

should be an a good cruiser, but i look forward more to see what henry does for the new Ford GT, i reckon it will be awesome..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
GTP-814
love the quad cams

$100k anyone?
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
should be an a good cruiser, but i look forward more to see what henry does for the new Ford GT, i reckon it will be awesome..
A pre cursor to their LM aspirations?
Old 16-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
Chopped
as in chopped

That looks mean
Old 16-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #9
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

I have been hearing / reading that there is 2 Hi-Po models to come.

the SVT GT-350 (a new, more powerful version of the 302) and be more track focused model

Then there will be a SVT Cobra, which will be the 500+KW S/C 5.8 as the hero car.

which ever the above is... its very good looking for sure!

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

Also I don't think the above would be $100k... I would say 70-80K. If they follow Chrysler's Pricing lead. as the Fully loaded GT500 is 60k driveway over there.

Its would be something special if we got this and the hell cat at a decent price. hopefully we get a model above the GT mustang, as we wont be getting a challenger of kind of model let alone a hell cat til the next Gen 2018(ish)

Please bring the GT500 here with decent pricing.. and with a Auto Option.

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I don't think they're going to call them GT350 and GT500 without also calling them a Shelby.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #12
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Bet the authorities are just itching to start importing and letting 450kw+ weapons loose on our roads in the hands of cashed up bogans wanting to recreate a Mad-Max style apocolypse.

The end is nigh

Bring it on I reckon
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #13
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ecoboost SVT? Twin turbo 5.0 or 5.8..that would be a monster.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #14
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are vids of the cars at the nurburgring and they sound NA too me.
The FPC 5.2 may be true.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rDCNfwrMW_U
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
A pre cursor to their LM aspirations?
Sorry Wretched, I'm a bit dense with the abbreviations you'll have to spell it out for me old mate.
Old 16-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #16
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

LeMans
Old 16-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #17
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How could it replace the GT when it only has two doors?
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT View Post
LeMans
Ah ok, cheers, yes indeed it would be nice to see the GT do a run at LM .
Old 23-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #19
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Could this be it? Flat plane crank V8 (is this voodoo?) that is rumored to rev to 8000rpm!!!...ohh I am very very excited with where Ford is going..Mustang is only the start....watch the video at the end of the article....Falcon? what Falcon

Quote:

Ford is getting very serious with the new Mustang. The GT350 you see in the pictures and video below is clearly evidence of that. The GT350 will essentially be the successor to the Boss 302. That means it will have a track emphasis and will be built with roadcourse dominance in mind.

That is why it has a naturally aspirated powerplant. The engine is based on the 5.0 liter Coyote V8 of the GT but pretty much only the block is the similarity. The Mustang for the first time will have a flat-plane crank V8. A flat-plane crankshaft is lighter than a traditional cross-plane crank and it also offers 180 degree throws. Ferrari is the main producer known for using this style of crankshaft.

It has its benefits such as the weight as already mentioned and the firing order that allows better scavenging of exhaust gases. It also sounds just plain amazing if you have heard any Ferrari V8 revving out.

A lighter crank can allow an engine to rev more quickly and rev higher but balancing issues can also create vibration. If Ferrari can rev production cars out to 9000 rpm Ford engineers can definitely get a V8 with a flat-plane crank to the same rpm if they have to. Something around the 8k rpm mark and around 550 horsepower for the production GT350 sounds about right.

The engine is codenamed 'Voodoo' and will really set itself apart as a track special. The GT350 is not just about the motor though as Ford is paying some serious attention to the chassis, suspension, and brakes as the video evidence of Nurburgring testing shows.

The GT350 will be wider than the standard Mustang. It is also rumored to employ extensive use of carbon fiber and aluminum to shave weight off the 3700 pounds that the Mustang GT weighs. How much weight Ford intends to shave remains to be seen.

Regarding the suspension it is obviously being honed for the track. Chances are adjustable suspension will be available along with aerodynamic packages. The brakes look huge as they fill the wheel wells. The tires also appear to be Michelin R-Compound rubber.

Ford is not playing around. This car is going to be a beast.
http://www.germanboost.com/content.p...ures-and-video

Last edited by Wretched; 23-07-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Wretched is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #20
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
forgetting two door GT's?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #21
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Could this be it? Flat plane crank V8 (is this voodoo?) that is rumored to rev to 8000rpm!!!...ohh I am very very excited with where Ford is going..Mustang is only the start....watch the video at the end of the article....Falcon? what Falcon

http://www.germanboost.com/content.p...ures-and-video

so many layers of amazeballs!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #22
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Ok so that vid, is it a GT350R or just a GT350?

I only ask because those brakes are insane and seem a bit to big for a road Mustang. Maybe they and the rims/tyres are on just for testing purposes and they are simply putting the engine through its paces.

Either way its pretty wild, and out of my budget :(
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #23
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
come out of the tunnel
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #24
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Ok so that vid, is it a GT350R or just a GT350?

I only ask because those brakes are insane and seem a bit to big for a road Mustang. Maybe they and the rims/tyres are on just for testing purposes and they are simply putting the engine through its paces.

Either way its pretty wild, and out of my budget :(
The GT350 will be a glorified homologated race car, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're legit.
Old 24-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #25
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Yeah wasnt sure if they were popped on just for overkill to be safe or maybe for a GT350R that you can buy as a race only deal?

Then the GT350 will get a smaller brake package which would be fine for road use.

Either way its pretty cool.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #26
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suppose since they offered 2 different versions of the last BOSS302 they might follow the same route.
Old 24-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #27
dragons90

The performance Pack gt were getting here has 380mm brakes which looks about right if there 18"s in that pic
dragons90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #28
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Heres hoping Ford are taking notice and make sure any Hot mustangs are available in Australia as well as the States. It would be pretty lame if all we get is the GT when a 350 and 500 equivalents are belting around overseas.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #29
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
Heres hoping Ford are taking notice and make sure any Hot mustangs are available in Australia as well as the States. It would be pretty lame if all we get is the GT when a 350 and 500 equivalents are belting around overseas.
i think once the GT and Eco land here, we'll have plenty of scources from over there to customize to our hearts content at a fraction of the cost from factory. the only thing missing will be letters and numbers on the side of the car.
i can't wait
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #30
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You still won't have warranty or OEM standard enginnering though. Nothing different to how things are now with people tuning their own turbos and V8's.