Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-01-2015, 01:37 PM   #1
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Anyone know anything about sandboards and sandboarding in general?

My kids wanted sandboards for christmas but as I couldn't afford $300 each for boards I decided to have a go at making some. I started with a couple of molded plastic snowboards and glued some thin ply to them then glued formica to the ply. They worked a treat but had no directional stability so I made a couple of tail fins for each board, not too big, just deep enough to stop the board slewing sideways once moving. They worked ok so it was so far-so good.

Yesterday we went out into the national park to test them out and took some candles to wax the boards, as well as some proper sandboard wax and also some silicone spray that happened to be in the van. From the first run there was a speed difference between both boards, a yellow one and a purple one. The yellow one started out faster but as the day went on and as we tried the various waxes and spray, the purple board got faster and the yellow one got to the point where it just wouldn't slide at all

I'm at a total loss as to why the yellow board stopped sliding as both are basicall identical and had the same waxes used on them at different times. I thought there might be a residue issue with the yellow board so polished it back to just the formica finish but it still wouldn't go so now I'm asking if anyone might know something that will give me a clue.

Also, I noticed that no matter what was used, the boards would need the wax re-applied after every run, is that normal? Also the candle wax was faster than the shop bought board wax, is that supposed to be right ?

If anyone can shed some light on my delema I would be most gratefull.

Cheers
Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Last edited by Bushbasher; 18-01-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Anyone know anything about sandboards and sandboarding in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
Also, I noticed that no matter what was used, the boards would need the wax re-applied after every run, is that normal?
Logically this sounds about right, they are getting sandblasted at each run
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
Also the candle wax was faster than the shop bought board wax, is that supposed to be right ?
Sounds a bit like buying 'Geniune' parts as against aftermarket ones. you pay more for the name and packaging ?
Old 19-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

So nobody on the boards is into sandboarding then?................

Bugga, now I have to try and figure it out the hard way.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 19-01-2015, 05:38 PM   #4
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is sand boarding the same as skim boarding or is it different
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradEL View Post
Is sand boarding the same as skim boarding or is it different
Basically like surfing / skiing without the water or snow

And no that's not me I'm lucky to stand on my own 2 feet let alone putting a board or wheels under them
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2015, 08:27 PM   #6
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

After a quick look on Google it seems there are many variables adding to your dilemma.
Maybe a trial and error situation testing a few brands will help.

http://www.sandboard.com/drdune/ask/ask5.htm

This guy seems to have a specific way of application working for him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YkYCleEiK8
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #7
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Yer, but the dilemma is that both boards were constructed exactly the same way and were treated exactly the same with the same waxes and buffed and polished exactly the same way yet one went faster as the day went on and the other slowed to a stop eventually and wouldn't slide at all.

MINE- AUII Forte