Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-01-2015, 05:28 PM   #1
brennan.

Default Peer to Peer lending-thoughts/experiences

I was considering putting some savings into Harmoney which is a relatively new Peer to Peer lending platform here in New Zealand. it is in association with Trademe whom I trust and I couldn't find anything scary in their disclosure statement and FAQ'S etc. Has anybody used a peer to peer lending service to invest? Would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on the system in general.

Cheers.
Old 31-01-2015, 06:22 PM   #2
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Peer to Peer lending-thoughts/experiences

Trade me is a very reliable and respected firm, so I think that is definitely peace of mind for you if you do it
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2015, 06:27 PM   #3
lisaishername

Put your savings into Gold. At least Gold is EMP proof if the commies ever attack.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #4
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan. View Post
I was considering putting some savings into Harmoney which is a relatively new Peer to Peer lending platform here in New Zealand. it is in association with Trademe whom I trust and I couldn't find anything scary in their disclosure statement and FAQ'S etc. Has anybody used a peer to peer lending service to invest? Would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on the system in general.

Cheers.
I've had a quick look at the website and like the fact that you make a single investment but are exposed to a variety of borrowers. This looks safer.

I would want to understand their credit criteria for lending and clearly understand the situations in which you will lose some or all of your investment.

If the return is acceptable to you, go for it, but only as part of a balanced investment portfolio. You are being offered a higher rate of return than a bank because you are engaging in a more risky investment.

Rabobank offer 4.55%pa for 1 year, how much more are you going to earn in Harmoney? If you have $10,000 to invest and they are offering 7.5% (you'll have to tell me what they offer, I couldn't find it) is it worth the hassle to earn an extra $300?

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"

Last edited by nuthin' fancy; 01-02-2015 at 10:19 AM.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
brennan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
I've had a quick look at the website and like the fact that you make a single investment but are exposed to a variety of borrowers. This looks safer.

I would want to understand their credit criteria for lending and clearly understand the situations in which you will lose some or all of your investment.

If the return is acceptable to you, go for it, but only as part of a balanced investment portfolio. You are being offered a higher rate of return than a bank because you are engaging in a more risky investment.

Rabobank offer 4.55%pa for 1 year, how much more are you going to earn in Harmoney? If you have $10,000 to invest and they are offering 7.5% (you'll have to tell me what they offer, I couldn't find it) is it worth the hassle to earn an extra $300?
Thanks for the response mate, yea they say the risk adjusted return is around 12% and with the lowest loan duration being 36 months it might not be worth it with any less than say $5000, what do you reckon? They put borrowers into categories according to their risk level and show a percentage likelihood that they will default, and I'd obviously lose money, but one person can't fund an entire loan, only a maximum of 20% so with money spread across multiple loans i think it would be fairly safe, i could be wrong, would like to know other people's thoughts on that.

Cheers.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

If you invest $5,000 you will earn 7.45%pa more than having it safe in a bank.

You need to understand how they determine the risk profile of their clients.

This equates to $372.50pa.

If this suits your risk profile (i.e. can you sleep), investigate further. Is there an option to spread the investment across more than 5 loans?

Is there an option to invest in Harmoney (rather than providing funds for them to lend)?

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #7
brennan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
You need to understand how they determine the risk profile of their clients.

If this suits your risk profile (i.e. can you sleep), investigate further. Is there an option to spread the investment across more than 5 loans?

Is there an option to invest in Harmoney (rather than providing funds for them to lend)?
That's one thing that has me a little worried, the client can simply lie on the application and if its not detected then that person can be given a good "rating" on the site when really they can't afford the repayments at all.
I believe it is possible to have more than 5 loans on the go at once, that's one of the main reasons why I'm still thinking about it, at least i can try and minimize losses by spreading the money out. I'll have to look into the option of investing in the company itself instead the loans, but i think I'll give it a go, not with all my savings at first maybe I'll have a play around with $500 and see how it goes.

Thanks for your input, I'll update the thread with the good and the bad if and when they happen.

Cheers.