Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-03-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
stonedpirate
Starter Motor

Default Falcon wont sell

Hi all

I have been trying to sell my mint XR6 2012 for over a month and havent had one call. Paid $20k for it 9 months ago and no takers at $19k.

How much is this thing worth?

40000kms with heavy duty towbar.

Cheers
stonedpirate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Falcon wont sell

If an auto, Redbook reckons $18,200 to $20,500 private; and $14,300 to $16,600 trade in:

http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/resea...POT-ITM-301938
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You need to sell it for 14-15k if you want it gone. Fact is big Aussie cars are just not selling anymore. My mate just sold his ve ss 2012 model for peanuts and really had to lower the price to get rid of it
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #4
staity

Just wait, i dont know many cars that have sold quickly, It does depend where you are advertsing and how many prospective buyers are in the area (if you have it on the side of the road for example). I took 7 weeks to sell my ute last year and it was priced low so i could get rid of it quicker. if your in a hurry drop the figure, the lower you go the quicker it will be snapped up. If you can wait leave the price where it is and eventually someone will want it. Patience is the key.

2013 Ford Kuga Titanium Gunmetal Grey
staity is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #5
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

When you can have a new XR6 for 35k then a 40,000km three-year-old one out of warranty is always going to be a hard sell.
4 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #6
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to say but there are literally loads of second hand cars for sale and such a wide variety it would be hard to sell any car.
Plus this day and age people dont seem to have the cash, i'm having issues trying to sell a $2000 car ffs.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2015, 08:05 PM   #7
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unless you give it away you will be married to it.The big car is dead and there are thousands of XR6s on the market so unless yours is turbo,manual or has heaps of desireable options to set it apart from the rest,you won't be saying goodbye to it any time soon.
Old 20-03-2015, 08:16 PM   #8
Storme93
Jeep/Mercedes Technician

I had a 2012 XR6 Auto that I have just recently sold with 6 months factory warranty to run, started at 22k went down to 20k down to 19k and after 4 months sold it for 17k, they just don't seem to want to sell for much, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it still made me happy to see it go because ot meant my XR8 was the next car I will own!

FGX XR8, Silhouette, Manual, 500HP, 940NM, Tune, 71mm Pulley, KPM Intercooler, BMC Twin Air Filter
Storme93 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2015, 09:40 PM   #9
stonedpirate
Starter Motor

Thanks guys

That sux

Well might lower it to 17500 if i have too :P
Old 20-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #10
MattSAU2XR8

There don't seem to be any similar cars cheaper on CarSales.com

$19k is probably a pretty reasonable price given its only three years old, particularly if it has good tyres, brakes etc. and a service record.

That said, as an alternative there's a 2011 Aurion Touring (I know not as much fun) with 3000 kms on ebay with a starting price of $19k at present... And no-one is buying it.

Do you really have to get rid of it? It could give you at least another four years of trouble free motoring at 15kkms per year and then be sold for about $10k, so $50 per week depreciation...
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2015, 10:26 PM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's an XR6 so it's slightly more desirable than "normal" Falcons, but you still run into the big problem Falcon has since some goombah in marketing had a magnificent brainwave and decided to do away with "names" for different models and replace them with "numbers and letters", all under the one badge: "Falcon".
When we were trying to get a half decent trade in for our G6E (still maintain they should have stuck with Fairmont and Fairmont Ghia), we were offered stupid money from some dealers, with the comment "It's only a Falcon".

Keep at it...thats not a lot of kilometers and if it's in great condition the right buyer might come along.

But if they don't, you'll just have to accept a lot less than you actually want...they're just not that popular anymore I'm afraid...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #12
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What colour is the car?
Auto or manual?

Both matter when it comes to sale time

and did you buy privately or from a dealer?
If a dealer then deduct several thousand more $ now. Car market is very slow now
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2015, 10:47 PM   #13
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My cars have usually all sold in a week or two....my rule of thumb go into car sales find cheapest car of same model, same kms, same options and set your price at a bit less, it'll sell.

Given that I see 2012 xr6 on car sales at 16,888 with 49K on the odo, can probably grab it for 16K maybe 15K.

I'd be putting yours on for $16,500.

In any case you can't to buy a 2 year old car for 20K then expect to sell it a year later for 19K...jousting sticks come to mind.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2015, 10:53 PM   #14
thehammer

put a car on the market it either seems to go quickly, or it takes ages. My XF ute put on Gumtree and got a call 2 minutes after the add was posted and he showed up 30min later and paid cash.

Similar story with my XG XR6, wasn't even registered, sold within days, VR V8 same deal, sold virtually straight away, and got a decent price for it too

My AU XR8 220 though I had on the market for about 3 months, ended up selling it for $4,700 from memory (a few minor issues at the time and interstate rego), started off at about $7,500 just had to continuously lower the price to even get people to look at it

NF V8 had on the market for a fair while too from memory

it's tempting to shoot a bit high on price at first, but tend to find if you do you just get ignored, and even if you lower the price it sometime doesn't help. Cars I've sold quickly I just slapped up a sellable price off the bat, gone in no time
Current: AU wagon... Old rides: AUII XR8 220, NF V8, NC V8, XG XR6, XF ute, 2 XE's, XF, ED 5sp, EF, '95 Mondeo... non-ford.... VR V8, VL Turbo, TT Soarer, Suzuki Sierra, Hilux Surf, GQ Patrol, 2x4 Rodeo
thehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2015, 11:02 PM   #15
XFISH98

I'm in a similar boat, I've got my 351 XF for 11k, and I got it posted in all the right places. I;ve had a few offers for 8k and a bit higher for it. I don't really need to sell it at the moment....so, it'll go for 11k or not.
XFISH98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2015, 11:09 PM   #16
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

same with my bronco had to basically give it away needed the money. Apart from a few stupid offers the only people who were interested were retirees who wanted to take her up north.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2015, 11:11 PM   #17
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Not sure on your situation but I live on a main road....and I've sold a bunch of trailers, bikes and probably ten cars from here since I've been here. ALL the cars were on carsales.com aswell...........EVERYTHING sold from people driving past. Anything from two weeks to 3mnths tho. Can't remember 1 single inquiry from someone who saw any of them on carsales.
Food for thought.

Good luck
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2015, 06:24 PM   #18
HULK_I6T
Banned

You can't expect to buy a car for $20k drive it for a year and someone give you $19k for that privilege. Take 20% value off what you paid for the year you drove it and you will get close to a selling price. $16k it will sell.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2015, 06:34 PM   #19
Itsme
Experienced Member

The problem is so many good cheap cars atm on the market.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #20
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

These days it pays when purchasing a car to make sure you are going to keep it for some years to get your moneys worth out of it. Too many people are purchasing cars and selling them again too soon. A Falcon with 40,000kms on it is not even fully run in, with the selling owner not realising the full performance and economy of the car.

Even BMW's depreciate rapidly, and from far higher purchase prices than Falcons when newer.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #21
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
The problem is so many good cheap cars atm on the market.
This is true, and for anyone in the market for another car on the 20 k range who is willing to down size slightly, for the same 20 k you could pick up brand new focus trend and a few other reasonable medium size cars, why would you buy second hand when you can buy new.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2015, 08:17 PM   #22
LooLoo18

I sold my XR50th 2 months ago for $14,500 with 115,000ks dealers were offering me $9,000-$10,000 trade in
At the time it was the only Nitro Blue XR50th for sale so I think that helped and the extras that the XR50th come with also helped
XE Fairmont Ghia 4.9lt
EF Fairmont
AU Falcon II
BA MKII Fairmont
FG XR6 50TH
Current
Nissan Pulsar (The Wife's)
Ranger Wildtrak Chilli Orange
LooLoo18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #23
MattSAU2XR8

Price seems pretty fair since there aren't any advertised on Carsales with less kms for less $.

But on the other hand you could probably find a later model with under 5 kkms for under $30k.

And a late BF2 with 100 kkms for $10k or less.

Point being that between a demo model and 100 kkms and 6 or 7 years of age you loose $20k.

And then there are alternatives, eg a 2011 Aurion Touring (boring I know but still serviceable) with 3000 kms on ebay at present with no takers at $19k.

Towbar probably works against you - unless buyers want to tow a boat they will just be worrying that all the rear end bushes are going to have been over worked.

Do you really need to sell it so soon? What else could you get that would be newer, faster, more comfortable, or considerably cheaper to run for the same money? I've always figured that every time I sell a car and buy another one it ends up costing me about $3000 in transaction costs and inconvenience... Possibly just spend a few thousand on making it more to your liking (tint, wheels, brakes or whatever) and hang onto it for another six years or so...
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2015, 01:09 PM   #24
stonedpirate
Starter Motor

Yeah, good points

I want a 4wd so kind of dont want a sedan for the next 6 years.

Bought it to tow my boat which it does well but sick of the low clearance :P

Its a good car but would rather a hilux or patrol.
Old 22-03-2015, 02:25 PM   #25
speedy
Starter Motor

yea, you can look on Carsales but because you might not see anything much cheaper than what your asking, does not mean they are going to get that much.

I think you will find there is a lot 'dreamers' on there and I think just hoping they may just jag there prices , but sadly in this time Falcons are not selling fast, unless you want far less than you really thought was worth. Its sad but true, but I discovered to be true.

I even keep and eye on my local Ford dealer and they not moving falcons fast at all , new or near new. It is sad...
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #26
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morexbs View Post
Unless you give it away you will be married to it.The big car is dead and there are thousands of XR6s on the market so unless yours is turbo,manual or has heaps of desireable options to set it apart from the rest,you won't be saying goodbye to it any time soon.
I know this is off topic but if the big car is dead why are people buying rangers and hiluxes for a family car like crazy I think the ranger is one of ford'd most popular models at the moment and people are buying them as a family runabout
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #27
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They arnt cars
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #28
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The car has also moved out of Factory warranty in that time, easily 15-20% of its value.
you only need to look at the apparent bargains for cars at 3 years of age.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #29
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post
I know this is off topic but if the big car is dead why are people buying rangers and hiluxes for a family car like crazy I think the ranger is one of ford'd most popular models at the moment and people are buying them as a family runabout
Same.
If large "vehicles" are so out of favour with buyers, why do people buy Grand Cherokee's, Prado's, Rangers ect ect?

I suppose its not that large CARS (vehicles) that are out of favour, its large SEDANS that are on the nose.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2015, 09:32 PM   #30
stonedpirate
Starter Motor

It appears that soccer mums have gone off large sedans in favour of the superior space of crossovers and hoons are sick of the police and have taken their fun off road in hiluxes etc.

Having owned both several hiluxes and falcons over the years, hiluxes are the clear winner in almost every area. Just a more versatile and more fun vehicle all round.