Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #1
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default This is total BS

I saw an add on TV last night for this phone app
http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/pollution/reporttoepa.htm

I can imagine all the would be cops getting in on this one.
Or maybe reporting someone who you have a issue with?
I can just imagine my neighbor reporting my 351 every time I take it out
Their details don't get passed on to who they report either.
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: This is total BS

Interesting, I wonder what proof is required for the littering...
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2015, 08:45 PM   #3
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
I saw an add on TV last night for this phone app

I can imagine all the would be cops getting in on this one.
Or maybe reporting someone who you have a issue with?
Their details don't get passed on to who they report either.
If it's anything like Victoria,the person doing the dobbing would have to agree to appear in court as a witness if the infringement gets disputed.That bit usually weeds out those who just want to make trouble for someone.
Old 27-04-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
qdda5

I'm all for it. Nothing annoys me more than disgusting pigs throwing there garbage out of cars. If your car shouldnt be on the road coz it hasnt been maintained properly get it off the road and fix it. Nice exhaust notes are fine with me but for those people that do cheap and nasty mods they should come off the road. They don't realise how crap they sound anyway.Doing them a favour to save them the embarrassment.
More than happy to download and use that app.
qdda5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: This is total BS

Only allow the App to only be used by authorised and qualified people, not Joe public. Most people would not have a clue what was legal or not.

A while ago a friend received a penalty notice from the EPA for throwing a cigarette butt out his van window, only problem is that he does not smoke, some do-gooder got it wrong and caused him a lot of aggravation.

Last edited by Olbucko; 27-04-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Olbucko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use the EPA app quite often, cigarette buts being thrown out of cars drives me nuts. Don't get the logic, it's not yuck to smoke in your car but keeping your litter in your car is...?
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #7
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

The Dobber App.

I wonder how many of the Saints that would use this app would also use it while driving. or distract themselves taking down the details while driving. I hope the app has a GPS feature which automatically issues a fine to the app owner if they use it while moving.

God I wish people were less interested in what others are doing and worry about themselves.
Old 27-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

All this does is outsource the EPA responsibilities to the self serving, do-gooder, revenge seeking morons. Imagine the poor motorist living next door to a bunch of bicycle ridding vegan freaks, you'd be targeted as soon as you approached your car.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2015, 12:20 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

They have had this system (I see they now have a mobile app too) in WA for many years ( I think 20 yrs plus) http://www.kabc.wa.gov.au/report-littering but the take up has been low. I think most people however annoyed by littering, see it as un-Australian to dob in people for minor offences like dead cigarette butts.

I know they do get reports on major dumping of a load of rubbish in parks, lakes, rivers and bushland etc, live butts that cause roadside grass fires etc and sometimes from annoyed motorist like me about people putting flyers under their windscreen wipers (and damaging them) as it distributing material like this is an offence under the Litter Act in WA .

At one time there was also a system where any WA State public servant could get a book of tickets that they could issue to pedestrian litterers; again the take up I think was virtually zero (I don't think we [retired public servant here] fancied confronting litterers and risking being punched out). In WA at least the KAB is essentially a one man office so there is a not a lot they can do without volunteers making reports.
Old 27-04-2015, 01:18 PM   #10
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Would be a good app for any McDonalds or Hungry Jack's car park - they're disgusting for what people litter there.

Lazy ******, too tired to walk to the bins.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2015, 01:26 PM   #11
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
All this does is outsource the EPA responsibilities to the self serving, do-gooder, revenge seeking morons. Imagine the poor motorist living next door to a bunch of bicycle ridding vegan freaks, you'd be targeted as soon as you approached your car.
And us doo gooder bicycle riding vegan freaks are winning...soon you wont know your 1950's antiquated assbackwards self absorbed anti community minded Australia!
welcome to the new world order old man.
Why do you continually inflict hate and insult upon some of us here?

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2015, 02:38 PM   #12
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As some one who is exactly 1 X Quarter ponder meal away from the nearest maccers drive through I think its fantastic

next time that fat bald dick head in his FG with Jax quickfit wheels, tosses his maccers crap out the window on my nature strip (most afternoons) I'll get his rego and wack it in to the app

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2015, 02:47 PM   #13
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
And us doo gooder bicycle riding vegan freaks are winning...soon you wont know your 1950's antiquated assbackwards self absorbed anti community minded Australia!

JP
You're free to do whatever you like, if peddling a bicycle eating tofu whilst stalking people with an EPA app turns you on, go for it!

Last edited by cheap; 27-04-2015 at 02:58 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #14
superyob
Banned

Quote:

JP
Wasn't that the totalitarianism of the 30s? (Sorry, off topic)
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #15
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
As some one who is exactly 1 X Quarter ponder meal away from the nearest maccers drive through I think its fantastic

next time that fat bald dick head in his FG with Jax quickfit wheels, tosses his maccers crap out the window on my nature strip (most afternoons) I'll get his rego and wack it in to the app
You're totally right Michael.

When I rode motorcycles I had a bloke flick a cigarette butt out of his window that landed in my right eye - I pulled up besides him at the next set of lights and gave him a thorough ******* baking.

It bloody hurt and could have caused an accident as I was temporally blinded.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2015, 03:32 PM   #16
dirty hands
Over Thinker

lets everybody be a public servant and not get paid

this app can be abused .

convicted on a picture then again proving who the driver is ......I would prefer Dash Cam

how does an app tell sound level ?.. who has a seen a smoky diesel ?

last line::Other types of reports will be included on future versions of the app.

what next will be an app for anything with a rego ...

from the article
How it works
Report to EPA allows you to quickly and easily report pollution incidents you observe. You can report:

smoky vehicles
littering from vehicles
noisy exhaust.
Whether you're on the road, cycling or walking, the app is at your fingertips so you can report pollution while on the go. Simply record the vehicle details, tell us where and when you saw it, and we'll take care of the rest.

For smoky or noisy vehicles
Vehicle details are matched with a valid registration and the report is reviewed by an EPA compliance officer. If the report is determined to be valid, the owner of the vehicle will be sent an advisory letter.

For littering from vehicles
Vehicle details are matched with a valid registration. If the report is deemed to be valid, the owner of the vehicle will be sent a penalty notice, imposing a fine.

Safety first! It is unlawful for drivers to use a mobile phone to record this information unless the car is parked. Your health and safety are always more important than reporting motor vehicle pollution. If you are driving, ask a passenger to record the details. If recording the required details affects your concentration or driving, wait until next time to make a report. If pollution is coming from a vehicle, it is only a matter of time before it is observed and reported by another member of the public, the police or an authorised officer.

Why report motor vehicle pollution?
The EPA is working to minimise community exposure to pollution from motor vehicles in NSW. Your reports will help ensure that vehicle owners are aware of the pollution they are causing, and understand and comply with the regulations surrounding motor vehicle pollution.

Other types of reports will be included on future versions of the app.

Last edited by dirty hands; 27-04-2015 at 03:48 PM.
dirty hands is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2015, 06:44 PM   #17
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
The Dobber App.

I wonder how many of the Saints that would use this app would also use it while driving. or distract themselves taking down the details while driving. I hope the app has a GPS feature which automatically issues a fine to the app owner if they use it while moving.

God I wish people were less interested in what others are doing and worry about themselves.
That applies for everything...? So if I catch someone keying your car I keep going on my merry way...? And I do worry about myself. I'd like to be able to drive down a country road not filled with crap some scumbag has decided isn't good enought to have in their car but is good enough to wreck our country side with. I'd also not like to be caught in a bush fire caused by idiots who are not only intent on slowly killing themselves but also others if they're caught in said fire.

Fair enought if someone is using the app when driving and they're caught then book them. But labelling it as a dobber app is really childish for want of a better word.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #18
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
That applies for everything...? So if I catch someone keying your car I keep going on my merry way...? And I do worry about myself. I'd like to be able to drive down a country road not filled with crap some scumbag has decided isn't good enought to have in their car but is good enough to wreck our country side with. I'd also not like to be caught in a bush fire caused by idiots who are not only intent on slowly killing themselves but also others if they're caught in said fire.

Fair enought if someone is using the app when driving and they're caught then book them. But labelling it as a dobber app is really childish for want of a better word.
really.... well where I draw the line is when there is a material impact on a person or their property. If I see a person damaging something I'll step in. If I see a person in danger I'll step in.

I could be Deputy Do-Right and download the council by-laws walk up and down my street and report all my neighbours who in some way infringe on the by-laws. I could decide to ring the cops and complain about my neighbours having a loud party at 11pm. I could so all sorts of trivial crap that fits into your world view and sit an home like with a big smile on my face.

That car you've reported for a smoky exhaust might be a single mother struggling to get by and now you've taken her car off the road.

You could probably report 1/2 of the people on this forum as most of us have some sort of mod to our cars that would see them fail a EPA test

Or you could be less obsessed with others and leave them be.
Old 27-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #19
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
really.... well where I draw the line is when there is a material impact on a person or their property.
and that's the crux of the debate...material effect.
You may not consider air pollution to be effecting you, others would strongly disagree.
You may not consider littering to be an issue, but others like me do. I am fed up with others disregarding my street, my neighborhood and my city by blatantly dropping litter, throwing cigarett butts out the car window or onto my verandah, litter, rubbish and pollution cause disease, respiratory issues even cancers that all have a material effect on me and my family, my community and fellow citizen.
So why cant we demand a clean environment, that inappropriate noise, smell or sightly pollution be banished from our lives.
And as these Apps and rules and regulations exist is proof that society is beginning to agree with me...finally.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2015, 08:26 PM   #20
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
and that's the crux of the debate...material effect.
You may not consider air pollution to be effecting you, others would strongly disagree.
You may not consider littering to be an issue, but others like me do. I am fed up with others disregarding my street, my neighborhood and my city by blatantly dropping litter, throwing cigarett butts out the car window or onto my verandah, litter, rubbish and pollution cause disease, respiratory issues even cancers that all have a material effect on me and my family, my community and fellow citizen.
So why cant we demand a clean environment, that inappropriate noise, smell or sightly pollution be banished from our lives.
And as these Apps and rules and regulations exist is proof that society is beginning to agree with me...finally.

JP
Sorry, I see by that Prius in your avatar that you're right into driving low pollution vehicles.

go have fun. Dob away
Old 27-04-2015, 08:43 PM   #21
Trump
bitch lasagne

This "dobbing" behaviour being encouraged by govco is deplorable and a crock-o-*****. They can stick their app where the sun doesn't shine.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2015, 09:08 PM   #22
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdda5 View Post
I'm all for it. Nothing annoys me more than disgusting pigs throwing there garbage out of cars. If your car shouldnt be on the road coz it hasnt been maintained properly get it off the road and fix it. Nice exhaust notes are fine with me but for those people that do cheap and nasty mods they should come off the road. They don't realise how crap they sound anyway.Doing them a favour to save them the embarrassment.
More than happy to download and use that app.
bloody hell, I'd be embarrassed to admit it if I used such a pathetic app.
You might say you like a nice exhaust note but that's what will be reported by these app users.
I hope your Turbo is all stock so you do don't get reported yourself.
Old 27-04-2015, 09:14 PM   #23
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Im not going to be popular for saying this but:

I feel this app is perfect for those thriving to go on a little power trip.

Sure, I don't like litterer's, smokey car's and everything else in between as much as the next person. But like every thread that gets posted on this forum, we need to use some common sense and look at the situation in it's context at the time of sight, rather than allowing some people with nothing else better to do in their lives than to look for excuses to press the dob button and feel all haughty as if they have 'taught so and so a lesson'.

Like I said, this will only arm those with nothing else better to do.

*flame away*

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2015, 09:24 PM   #24
qdda5

[QUOTE=4vxc;5382610]bloody hell, I'd be embarrassed to admit it if I used such a pathetic app.
You might say you like a nice exhaust note but that's what will be reported by these app users.
I hope your Turbo is all stock so you do don't get reported yourself.[/QUOTE

Not embarrassed at all. Id recommend to anyone. The only people that are raising concerns are the idiots that do the wrong thing. If you dont throw crap from your car, dont drive an unroadworthy car and dont have a car that sounds like a piece of crap then you have nothing to worry about.
My question to you is ' Which category do fall into'??
Old 27-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #25
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as long as it makes you happy, I guess
Old 27-04-2015, 09:32 PM   #26
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
This "dobbing" behaviour being encouraged by govco is deplorable and a crock-o-*****. They can stick their app where the sun doesn't shine.
This app wil be a godsend for some people, they will be able to hide behind an app and go to town on everyone that has "upset" them. Someone cuts you off in traffic, no problem have I got something in store for you!

I thought I lived in Australia, yet some people want to turn Australia into Stasi East Germany where everyone is reporting on everyone else.
Old 27-04-2015, 09:32 PM   #27
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdda5 View Post
Quote:
bloody hell, I'd be embarrassed to admit it if I used such a pathetic app.
I hope your Turbo is all stock so you do don't get reported yourself.
Not embarrassed at all. Id recommend to anyone. The only people that are raising concerns are the idiots that do the wrong thing. If you dont throw crap from your car, dont drive an unroadworthy car and dont have a car that sounds like a piece of crap then you have nothing to worry about.
My question to you is ' Which category do fall into'??
The app and the behaviour govco is encouraging is the wrong thing. We (well those of us older than an XE Falcon) were brought up to not be dibby dobbers. And for good reason, dobbers had the snot beaten out of them because they couldn't mind their own business.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2015, 09:36 PM   #28
qdda5

Quote:
as long as it makes you happy, I guess
You dont get it do you. I have better things to do than capture this detail but how many times have you seen someone doing the wrong thing and couldnt do a thing about it. People dont care. They drop there crap on the side of the road and expect others to clean it up. I would love to get footage of that and have it used against them. Stupid stuff that people do with no regard to others is what annoys me the most. Anything to catch them. Hell yeah. That makes me very happy.
This user likes this post:
Old 27-04-2015, 09:39 PM   #29
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
The app and the behaviour govco is encouraging is the wrong thing. We (well those of us older than an XE Falcon) were brought up to not be dibby dobbers. And for good reason, dobbers had the snot beaten out of them because they couldn't mind their own business.
Mike Brady had the right approach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ_eP6p3tPs
Old 27-04-2015, 09:39 PM   #30
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

go for it then Constable