Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 17-06-2015, 04:18 PM   #1
WHYME
Next up?

Default Teh Cobra GT'z, I like!!!

Ok, sorry about the immature title... anyways I was looking curiously on Carsales as I've always liked the idea of owning a tough late model GT cruiser (and hey it's good to dream). Anywho, my question is I stumbled across the infamous Cobra GT's and I was surprised for the price owners of the car were still asking for. The cheapest is $44,888 witn 57K on the clock, whilst the most expensive is going for $75,000 (two of them are asking for that price actually) one of them has 15K on the clock and the other 11K.

Do you fellow Pub members believe these cars are selling for these prices, I mean are these Cobras actually being sold for that amount of money in recent times or are these just dreamers we're seeing?

I mean if you're willing to spend 75 thousand on a Cobra GT, you could just add another $15,000 and buy a GTF (there's one going for 90K on Carsales at the moment). Anyways, I'm not trying to judge or tell people what to do with their money but my question was do these Cobras really fetch these prices? Or have these cars been on the net forever and will most likely never sell for these prices?

Old 17-06-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Default Re: Teh Cobra GT'z, I like!!!

Can't buy them anymore. If you really want it you will pay what it takes. Have seen a couple sold for mid 40's recently. Check out the prices on the 40th Anniversary model.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #3
WHYME
Next up?

Yeah, fair enough mate. Mid 40's sounds like a much more appealing price to me then $75,000. Especially when you can buy a GTF for 15K more.

Old 17-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I haven't seen a used Fpv in a car yard for over 12 months now. I know they are on car sales though. Just not in my area.
Old 17-06-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
WHYME
Next up?

Yeah me either ay, I live in Melbourne and I've visited a few Ford dealerships and can't find an FPV sitting around anywhere. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come :( Keep the dream alive!

This user likes this post:
Old 17-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same here mate, rare to see a performance model any more, sad times.

Last edited by mik; 17-06-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 17-06-2015, 05:10 PM   #7
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

My local dealer used to regularly have a second hand FPV on the yard, they never sat around long and I'd say its been 12 months since anything but a GS was sitting around.

I've also been considering a BF GT along with a couple other cars lately and its already hard to find anything decent, in Victoria anyway.
Old 17-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #8
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJaVu GT View Post
Can't buy them anymore. If you really want it you will pay what it takes. Have seen a couple sold for mid 40's recently. Check out the prices on the 40th Anniversary model.
Too true , sellers market really and unless desperate to sell , most will hang on to them until the price is paid. At double the cost of a "standard" GT though , you'd really want to have a good reason to pay the extra. Yes it it is more limited and does have the 302 engine , but from an aesthetics and enjoyment and performance perspective , there's nothing in it.
Plenty of decent cheap B series FPV's on carsales , so it's a good time to snap one up , drive it and enjoy it.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 17-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #9
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

My view is that perhaps the sellers equate lower k's to higher $'s, plus that it carries the "cobra" name. It's anyone's guess as to what they might be worth down the track, but for me, I'd much rather be driving around in my GT and enjoying it as opposed to have it sitting in the shed
Old 17-06-2015, 07:06 PM   #10
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
My local dealer used to regularly have a second hand FPV on the yard, they never sat around long and I'd say its been 12 months since anything but a GS was sitting around.

I've also been considering a BF GT along with a couple other cars lately and its already hard to find anything decent, in Victoria anyway.
Here ha go.
302 and sunroof !
Decent car , decent price on the face of it.
http://www.carsales.com.au/gallery/S...?index=1&cpw=1

Go on , you know you want it...

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
4 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2015, 07:20 PM   #11
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Here ha go.
302 and sunroof !
Decent car , decent price on the face of it.
http://www.carsales.com.au/gallery/S...?index=1&cpw=1

Go on , you know you want it...
I really didn't want black again but the 302 makes it very tempting and pretty good value at that price.
Old 17-06-2015, 09:27 PM   #12
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Only one issue, auto. I looked for an immaculate BF manual GT with a 30k budget for about 12 months Australia wide. I looked at a lot and never found a good one, so i gave up and got the FGXR6T instead
Old 17-06-2015, 10:04 PM   #13
nz13boy

I think some people paid way over the odds for them when they were new. Maybe some of the owners need to try and lessen the damage on their "investment" by asking $75k. Cars are only worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it.

Fair call on the paying extra to get a GTF. Well worth the extra coin over a $75k BF.
Old 17-06-2015, 10:26 PM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Buy an xr8....
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #15
WHYME
Next up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Buy an xr8....
Aren't all the FG X XR8's snagged up?

Old 19-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #16
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYME View Post
Aren't all the FG X XR8's snagged up?
Nope.. there has been a Blue Auto FGX XR8 sitting at the Toowoomba dealership for weeks now.

I think its all depending on what dealership you go to in regards to if they have a spare allocation for one or not.

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
Old 19-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #17
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least with a Cobra you got the nicer Boss 302.

The GT40th is a nice colour but is just a sticker pack no engine upgrade at all, kind of like the Sportsgirl Barina of a few years back.

I'd say $50K for a low km (sub 10,000km) example would be a fair price for buyer and seller. I've seen daily driver ell for less but doubt sellers would give them away unless desperate.

Yeah I do have one tucked away so I might be biased. Funnilly enough I liked it as it had the Boss 302 not the striping, I have always been thinking to actually pull the stripes off it and just have it as a white BF GT.
Old 19-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #18
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
At least with a Cobra you got the nicer Boss 302.

The GT40th is a nice colour but is just a sticker pack no engine upgrade at all, kind of like the Sportsgirl Barina of a few years back.

I'd say $50K for a low km (sub 10,000km) example would be a fair price for buyer and seller. I've seen daily driver ell for less but doubt sellers would give them away unless desperate.

Yeah I do have one tucked away so I might be biased. Funnilly enough I liked it as it had the Boss 302 not the striping, I have always been thinking to actually pull the stripes off it and just have it as a white BF GT.
Didn't the non cobra BF GT's around the same release date (late 07/08) also have the 302kw engine?
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 19-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #19
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post
Didn't the non cobra BF GT's around the same release date (late 07/08) also have the 302kw engine?
Yes they did. The Cobra got the R spec suspension though, same as GT40th.
50k for a cobra is a tad rich these days. 40k for a good low kay unit would be closer to the mark. They are nice cars.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 19-06-2015, 10:07 PM   #20
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post
Yes they did, but no one knew that was going to be the case on 2007, I probably may bought one if I didn't already have a Cobra, they were 15-20K cheaper too at the time as you didn't get a discount on a Cobra.

But who knows what the future will hold ..how much is a XC- GLX 351 Coupe now an how much is a XC Cobra? Cheaper to buy an XA/XB GT coupe than it is a Cobra.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #21
WHYME
Next up?

Quote:
Yes they did, but no one knew that was going to be the case on 2007, I probably may bought one if I didn't already have a Cobra, they were 15-20K cheaper too at the time as you didn't get a discount on a Cobra.

But who knows what the future will hold ..how much is a XC- GLX 351 Coupe now an how much is a XC Cobra? Cheaper to buy an XA/XB GT coupe than it is a Cobra.
40K for a BF Cobra GT sounds fair.

Old 22-06-2015, 03:36 PM   #22
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
40K for a BF Cobra GT sounds fair.
Maybe...but if you can't find one for that price you simply don't get one.

Has anyone sold a low k one for anywhere near 40? Doubt it.
Old 22-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #23
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Interesting thread. What have people sold thier immaculate GT40th, GT Cobras, GT-Fs, R Specs etc for int he last 6 months??
Old 22-06-2015, 09:29 PM   #24
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a GT 40th and it's not for sale. Why?? Because I want one.

Don't care what the future holds, pretty sure it will be worth more than any BF GT in similar condition regardless, cost no more than a standard BF GT when I bought it new, so can't go too far wrong.

Quote:
I mean if you're willing to spend 75 thousand on a Cobra GT, you could just add another $15,000 and buy a GTF (there's one going for 90K on Carsales at the moment). Anyways, I'm not trying to judge or tell people what to do with their money but my question was do these Cobras really fetch these prices? Or have these cars been on the net forever and will most likely never sell for these prices?
What if you don't have an extra 15K to spend??

What if you want a Cobra?? Then you would have to buy a Cobra not a GTF.

You could say that about any car, if I spend an extra 15K I could buy a better or newer car, of course you can but you need to spend an extra 15K.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #25
WHYME
Next up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Have a GT 40th and it's not for sale. Why?? Because I want one.

Don't care what the future holds, pretty sure it will be worth more than any BF GT in similar condition regardless, cost no more than a standard BF GT when I bought it new, so can't go too far wrong.

What if you don't have an extra 15K to spend??

What if you want a Cobra?? Then you would have to buy a Cobra not a GTF.

You could say that about any car, if I spend an extra 15K I could buy a better or newer car, of course you can but you need to spend an extra 15K.
No offence but I don't think this thread is for you. I wasn't asking "Why would anyone buy a Cobra/GT40th edition?". I was simply asking if people knew what these cars were selling for, and if the ones posted online for 70k were actually selling for that amount. I wasn't telling anyone how to spend their money or judging their choice, but simply putting it out there that for 15k more you can have a brand spanker GTF which is the better car. No harm done mate, sorry if I upset you. If you're happy with your GT 40th then I am happy for you, no need to be so hostile and I believe you completely mistook this thread for something it's not - I wasn't taking a dig mate.

Quote:
Maybe...but if you can't find one for that price you simply don't get one.

Has anyone sold a low k one for anywhere near 40? Doubt it.
Has anyone sold a mint low K one for 70k in recent times?

Old 23-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #26
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
No offence but I don't think this thread is for you. I wasn't asking "Why would anyone buy a Cobra/GT40th edition?". I was simply asking if people knew what these cars were selling for, and if the ones posted online for 70k were actually selling for that amount. I wasn't telling anyone how to spend their money or judging their choice, but simply putting it out there that for 15k more you can have a brand spanker GTF which is the better car. No harm done mate, sorry if I upset you. If you're happy with your GT 40th then I am happy for you, no need to be so hostile and I believe you completely mistook this thread for something it's not - I wasn't taking a dig mate.

Has anyone sold a mint low K one for 70k in recent times?
Here is the flaw in your argument for 15k more the GTF is not the better car its just a more expensive later model car especially if you want a Cobra. If the GTF is the holy grail and better car why are 71 model GT falcons worth more? and if someone was after a GTHO would they buy the latest cheaper better car the GTF as a substitute because the GTHO is too expensive? Collector cars aren't bought with the head they are bought with the heart. Big difference when buying a toy. Collectors know this and the market is much like the cars there are only a finite number of bums and seats available if you want mine you pay my price or keep on walking, talking and dreaming. Such is the life of a collectable car and its owner. *(The GTF is a great car but not if your after another model)

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......

Last edited by FPV+fteT3; 23-06-2015 at 12:29 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2015, 12:50 PM   #27
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

True, but there is a trickle down effect and quite a bit of musical chairs.
Collectors will offload for as much as they can so they can move on to a more desirable purchase. The cycle keeps getting inflated until the bubble bursts due to economic crisis. If mustang doesnt fill the void, then the FPV cars will be sought after. Dollars may not be big but should be well above market value.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 23-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #28
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3 View Post
Here is the flaw in your argument for 15k more the GTF is not the better car its just a more expensive later model car especially if you want a Cobra.
Exactly my point

Quote:
…...there are only a finite number of bums and seats available if you want mine you pay my price or keep on walking, talking and dreaming. Such is the life of a collectable car and its owner. *(The GTF is a great car but not if your after another model)
GTF is a great car, but someone who is chasing a Cobra (or GT 40th or XB GT or XY GT, GT Cortina etc etc (insert your poison)) would be after a Cobra (or what ever they are chasing) not a GTF, the GTF only comes into the argument if you are looking to buy a GTF.

I remember a mint GT40th selling for 100K in the early days, even some dealers were asking for a premium, I remember Sinclair Ford conducting a blind auction for the last available GT 40th, where potential buyers entered their bid and the highest bid got to buy the car, not sure what the final sale price was though.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 23-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #29
WHYME
Next up?

Quote:
Here is the flaw in your argument for 15k more the GTF is not the better car its just a more expensive later model car especially if you want a Cobra. If the GTF is the holy grail and better car why are 71 model GT falcons worth more? and if someone was after a GTHO would they buy the latest cheaper better car the GTF as a substitute because the GTHO is too expensive? Collector cars aren't bought with the head they are bought with the heart. Big difference when buying a toy. Collectors know this and the market is much like the cars there are only a finite number of bums and seats available if you want mine you pay my price or keep on walking, talking and dreaming. Such is the life of a collectable car and its owner. *(The GTF is a great car but not if your after another model)
By better I mean the GTF is the last and final FPV ever made (pretty sure that alone is a Ford collector's dream), not only that but it has arguably the best engine combo ever seen in an Aussie performance car - 351KW (over 400 as it's understated) of sheer supercharged power. Sure the Cobra had the 302 engine but so did every late BF GT built in 07/08 after that. The GT 40th is just a sticker pack whether anyone likes to admit it or not. So yes I stand by what I said, the GTF is the better car and not just on paper, for 15k more then what you'd pay for a BF Cobra GT (two on carsales asking 70k) I know which one I'd pick, collector or not.

Old 23-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #30
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Also, I havnt seen any GT "Blacks" in ages,... They would be my Fav!
4 users like this post:
Closed Thread