Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default dash button globes

Does anyone know what globes go in the high series dash buttons?
The only one working at the moment is the traction control and it really bugs me.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Default Re: dash button globes

So your talking about these buttons ??

BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Yes, those buttons. The little globes are removable and have a blue sheath over them. I can get the blue sheath off to put on new ones but I don't know what part code to look for,ie. T5,T10,T20 etc.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 25-07-2015, 07:19 PM   #4
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Ok they are T4 twist lock globes see ebay link below
that's where i brought some for my GHIA

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-x-T4-2...item33a025eb80

cheers Dean
This user likes this post:
Old 26-07-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
falcongt4me
TSCoA member Qld

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU-220 View Post

cheers Dean
Hey Dean,

Just curious...as I haven't replaced those particular bulbs in my car as yet.

Are the same fitment as the bulbs behind the MDC buttons, do you know?

Do these ebay ones not require the blue sleeve/sheath to emit the same as original light? Or is their light more whiter?

Reason I'm asking is that I did the ones behind the MDC once and it was a pain trying to find replacements to get the light the same as those ones mentioned and the original sound system, without the blue sheath.

2002 AUIII TS50 Liquid Silver #206 (ex NZ)

T-Series Club of Australia member; QLD

Last edited by falcongt4me; 26-07-2015 at 01:00 PM.
falcongt4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongt4me View Post
Hey Dean,

Just curious...as I haven't replaced those particular bulbs in my car as yet.

Are the same fitment as the bulbs behind the MDC buttons, do you know?

Do these ebay ones not require the blue sleeve/sheath to emit the same as original light? Or is their light more whiter?

Reason I'm asking is that I did the ones behind the MDC once and it was a pain trying to find replacements to get the light the same as those ones mentioned and the original sound system, without the blue sheath.
What is a MDC ??
Old 26-07-2015, 03:41 PM   #7
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:

cheers Dean

Sweet. Thanks Dean.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 27-07-2015, 03:27 AM   #8
falcongt4me
TSCoA member Qld

Quote:
What is a MDC ??
The Message Display Centre on all AU Fairmont dashes. The electronic display for the Climate Control, Fuel usage/distance, Temperature display, etc.

Behind that is are blue sheathed bulbs which light up the buttons for the MDC, which I am presuming are the same as BushBasher is describing.
Problem with them is sometimes the blue sheath sticks to the bulb due to time and heat and they tear when trying to remove them.

I was wondering if the bulbs you've suggested are a good replacement giving off the same light as the originals?

Old 27-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #9
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Those ones are T5 globes
Old 27-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #10
Fyrestorm
Spanner Thrower

Quote:
Those ones are T5 globes
T5 is the dash illumination (speedo, tach,etc) mdc (odometer screen) ones are the t4 twist

T4 twists also do the clock and buttons (not sure about Fairmont clocks, yet to do the analogue clock lights)

As for the condoms on the bulbs (blue) they just dim it down a little so you do t get a noticeable bright spot, and something to do with tinting (can't remember exactly what it's called though)

I've changed all the stock globes in my futura (except the clock. Still a standard one for now) whole dash now glows purple.
Current Mods: Fairmont Cluster, LED's Changed to Purple, Lukey Competition Extractors, 2.5" Hi flow Cat, Hi-Stall Converter, ED Box with FG internals, AUIII VCT Fuel Rail + Injectors, F6 Fuel Regulator, Stereo upgrade, Aftermarket LPG.

Awaiting Wife Approval Mods:

TE50 Front Bar, AU Tickford/SR Interior, Roof Racks, Slimline Weathershields, 2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, 27mm Front Sway Bar, Other Shiny things!
Fyrestorm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2015, 12:39 AM   #11
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Quote:
So your talking about these buttons ??

Are you (or anyone) able to explain how to remove the globe?
I've tried to figure it out but eventually gave up :p

Thanks!
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2015, 09:10 AM   #12
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

If you remove the button and look at the side of it you can see the base of the circular bulb. Just turn it wuth a screwdriver to release it and lift it out of it's seat. I found a pair of needle point pliers worked best for me.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 29-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #13
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
If you remove the button and look at the side of it you can see the base of the circular bulb. Just turn it wuth a screwdriver to release it and lift it out of it's seat. I found a pair of needle point pliers worked best for me.
Thanks for that!
was successful
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2015, 09:01 PM   #14
Fyrestorm
Spanner Thrower

Personally i wouldn't recommend the AC controls. those are not designed to be replaced and required soldering. Pity the USB charger and HU are blue. (and the clock being factory colour still.)
Current Mods: Fairmont Cluster, LED's Changed to Purple, Lukey Competition Extractors, 2.5" Hi flow Cat, Hi-Stall Converter, ED Box with FG internals, AUIII VCT Fuel Rail + Injectors, F6 Fuel Regulator, Stereo upgrade, Aftermarket LPG.

TE50 Front Bar, AU Tickford/SR Interior, Roof Racks, Slimline Weathershields, 2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, 27mm Front Sway Bar, Other Shiny things!
Old 30-07-2015, 11:02 PM   #15
aufalco
Alternator

They are called "neo wedge" and use size T4 for dash switches, etc or T5 for the instrument cluster.

Be careful when buying the cheap ones off ebay or you will end up with hot spots and uneven light like in Fyrestorm's photo especially with the newer SMD LED style. You can use a black permanent marker on the end of some to help stop the hot spots or use the "condoms" to diffuse the light more evenly.

Fyrestorm you can replace the light in the clock in the AU1 style clocks to get rid of the orange colour...
aufalco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2015, 01:00 PM   #16
Fyrestorm
Spanner Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufalco View Post
They are called "neo wedge" and use size T4 for dash switches, etc or T5 for the instrument cluster.

Be careful when buying the cheap ones off ebay or you will end up with hot spots and uneven light like in Fyrestorm's photo especially with the newer SMD LED style. You can use a black permanent marker on the end of some to help stop the hot spots or use the "condoms" to diffuse the light more evenly.

Fyrestorm you can replace the light in the clock in the AU1 style clocks to get rid of the orange colour...
I know. Tried red, blue and purple but the standard orange was more visible. I'll be changing the films on both the clock and odometer.

As for the "hot spot" effect, it's more noticeable in pictures then in front of it. Apart from redline (red LEDs) and gear selector (t10)

The dash cluster itself isn't using 7leds in standard replacement. The circuit board burnt so had to go the old fashioned way. (Iirc there's 26 or so)

Old 31-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #17
falcongt4me
TSCoA member Qld

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufalco View Post

The "condoms" are my issue, trying to find the right size and correct factory colour

Old 01-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #18
aufalco
Alternator

They are called filters, you might get lucky finding something at an electronic store. Good luck finding them though. Probably easier finding something online from asia.
aufalco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post