Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-01-2016, 12:11 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile How to Buy Tickets in the USA Powerball $2Billionaus !!!

"Wednesday’s US Powerball jackpot has swelled to an estimated $1.4 billion – or A$2 billion – and Aussies can buy tickets to be in for a chance to win what will be the world’s largest ever prize.

The odds to win are one in 292.2 million. Seventy-five percent of all the possible combinations were purchased before Saturday's drawing and lottery officials expect that enough tickets will be sold to cover about 80 percent by Wednesday – about 95 percent of Powerball tickets have computer-generated numbers.

The jackpot has ballooned since its November 4 starting point of $40 million, and spurred huge ticket sales.

The lottery tickets can be purchased online here by both US citizens and also by anyone outside the US.

“Although there are no authorised lottery retailers based outside of the US, our lottery ticket partner allows you to purchase US state and national lottery tickets from anywhere in the world,” Lottery USA says on its site.

Although a potential win for a non-US citizen is subject to taxation.

“Should a non-US citizen win a lottery prize, they are subject to federal withholding taxes for non-US citizens, which is 30 per cent of their winnings,” the website states.

“While this amount may vary depending on which state the winning ticket is claimed in, the amount that non-US citizens are taxed is very similar to that which is applied to US citizens.”
https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/ho...031910226.html
Old 12-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: How to Buy Tickets in the USA Powerball $2Billionaus !!!

What a stupendous amount.....

How's this for an idea? Break it down into $5 mil increments and make a whole lot of people better off...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2016, 01:30 AM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
What a stupendous amount.....

How's this for an idea? Break it down into $5 mil increments and make a whole lot of people better off...
nice sentiment , but what would be even better i think , keep what you want for yourself aside (5 or 10, or 20 million ? ) ..........and with the rest open an old school type company that actually makes/produces stuff for thousands of average salt of the earth type people that possibly are not super skilled giving them a job , a wage ............. and sense of worth .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2016, 07:58 PM   #4
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Has been run & won - three winning entries!
Old 15-01-2016, 07:42 AM   #5
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Has been run & won - three winning entries!
Each getting $300,000,000.00USD
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2016, 10:14 AM   #6
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
Each getting $300,000,000.00USD
Geez I dont know how they are going to cope with that sort of money. lol

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2016, 01:09 PM   #7
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hope Putin wins it hahahahaha.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2016, 08:56 AM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

I'm in, show me the link!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #9
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I think you could get close to buying tazzy for that price

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #10
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

From the official power ball website:

CAN I BUY POWERBALL TICKETS THROUGH THE INTERNET?

No. Start with that answer and then slowly back into "sometimes". Gambling is illegal in the United States. A State has the right to gamble or create a lottery ONLY within its borders. When a game or information about a game cross a state line, or the national border, then it falls into federal jurisdiction. So, some lotteries do sell TO THEIR RESIDENTS through the Internet but not across their state line. Powerball tickets can only legally be purchased at a state lottery sales terminal in the lottery jurisdictions that sells the Powerball game. A lottery can also legally sell tickets on the Internet, but only to persons within its own state. No one can sell lottery tickets by mail or over the Internet across state lines or the U.S. national border. No one except the lottery or their licensed retailers can sell a lottery ticket. No one. Not even us. No one. No, not even that web site. Or that one. You really don't need to send me questions about a specific site. None of them can legally sell lottery tickets across a state border or the U.S. border. No.

Law prevent the SALE (exchange of consideration) of any interest in the outcome of a gambling event. If you are not buying from a licensed retailer in the state or from the state lottery site (within the borders of that state), then you should not expect to be able to collect your prize. There are no regulations of websites that claim to sell tickets or to sell you a "service" to buy and hold tickets for you. Many lotteries believe that they would violated state and federal laws is they paid on those tickets purchased (if actually purchased) by an unlicensed reseller.

You can legally travel to another state, buy a ticket, and bring it back to your home state (at least I believe that no state now has a law forbidding the possession of a lottery).

Now there are dozens and dozens of websites where you can but these tickets online, they require your details and credit card details. So you purchased through an unknown 3rd party website and you won, what would be the chances of that 3rd party paying up?
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #11
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tut0r View Post
I think you could get close to buying tazzy for that price
And we will give ( as a bonus) all our dole bludgers.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #12
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

You can buy tickets (like I did) from https://www.thelotter.com/powerball/ and other places. See http://www.lottoexposed.com/recommen...icket-sellers/ for others noting some online sites will take a commission out of your winnings on top of the 25% tax Florida will take.
Old 13-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

But have a read of this first: http://www.news.com.au/finance/money...4cdc0924493884
I can see the headlines now :-) "I slept with 5,000 women, bought 1000 Fords and had a heart attack".
Old 14-01-2016, 11:55 PM   #14
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
But have a read of this first: http://www.news.com.au/finance/money...4cdc0924493884
I can see the headlines now :-) "I slept with 5,000 women, bought 1000 Fords and had a heart attack".

It's just a handful of stories about people who seam to be not the full quid. I think I would still take the risk and accept the winnings.
How many lotto winners go on to live happy and fulfilling lives? You would never know because news agencies generally don't publish articles when everything works out well.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #15
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
It's just a handful of stories about people who seam to be not the full quid. I think I would still take the risk and accept the winnings.
How many lotto winners go on to live happy and fulfilling lives? You would never know because news agencies generally don't publish articles when everything works out well.
I always thought that Tinkler wasn't the full quid
Old 15-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #16
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
I always thought that Tinkler wasn't the full quid
I don't think he is, must be how he ended up broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
there are plenty of cases where people have won/inherited money, and they end up worse off than before they collected.

Usually their first mistake is buying a 100k Rolex, the fail boat starts to sink from here on in.

Out of my group of mates I reckon I have a fair idea who would blow it all and be bankrupt in a few years, and who would make wise decisions.

A large sum of money will change some people, but I think in many of these lotto disaster stories the person was always irresponsible, its just giving them a large sum of money in one go shows everyone around them just how irresponsible they are.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #17
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

News story here with a link to a Aussie that has a 5 year contract to sell US lottery tickets $14ea.
http://www.news.com.au/finance/money...1787fcc80dc303
we done a work syndicate..
https://www.lottoland.com.au/

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2016, 04:58 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Kim Kardashian posted a tweet that said "who's buying powerball tickets?. One lady replied "stay out of poor people's business bitvh"
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2016, 09:47 PM   #19
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
News story here with a link to a Aussie that has a 5 year contract to sell US lottery tickets $14ea.
http://www.news.com.au/finance/money...1787fcc80dc303
May not work now though http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/au...13-gm58vj.html

Quote:
A mad scramble by Aussies for online tickets into the $US1.5 billion US Powerball jackpot has crashed the website of licensed Northern Territory provider Lottoland.

Managing Director Luke Brill said 107,000 clients had signed up in the last day and the site had crashed - but he expected to have it back up and running later on Wednesday afternoon.

"We only got our licence on Christmas Eve and figuratively only opened the doors a week ago," he said.

"This has blown all our expectations out of the window."

Mr Brill said it proved that Australians loved a punt and also a lottery.

"We're just hoping someone from Australia wins it," he said.

The twist is that Australians are actually placing a bet on the result of the lottery rather than entering the draw itself, but with prize money paid out as per the US results. That prize pool is underwritten by insurance underwriters.

This means anybody in Australia can now play US Powerball - except South Australians due to local laws.

Lottoland, was awarded a five-year licence by the the Northern Territory Racing Commission and the green light to participate in international lotteries.

Previously, players needed to be a USA resident to buy a Powerball ticket and buy tickets from an official retail outlet.

Players pick five main numbers from 1 to 69 and a Powerball from 1 to 26.

There is no maximum jackpot or number of times it can rollover - the main prize keeps increasing in size until it's won.

In May 2013, its biggest jackpot of $USD590 million [about.$763 million] was won by Gloria McKenzie from Zephyrhills, Florida. The main prize is usually paid out as a 30-year cash annuity option but can be taken in a lump sum.

A single game of Powerball at Lottoland begins at $14.

Western Australians who purchase entries from Lotterywest in national and state based games also support the WA community. In 2014/15 this amounted to $283 million going toward community initiatives.

The odds of winning local Powerball are 1 in 76.8 million.

Old 14-01-2016, 08:11 PM   #20
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Regardless of who won, I would want to remain anonymous from the winnings including from family and friends.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-01-2016, 11:00 PM   #21
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I won....US$7.00 :-)
Old 15-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #22
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sure about winning 400 mil or woteva it is, but there are plenty of cases where people have won/inherited money, and they end up worse off than before they collected.

Usually their first mistake is buying a 100k Rolex, the fail boat starts to sink from here on in.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #23
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
I'm not sure about winning 400 mil or woteva it is, but there are plenty of cases where people have won/inherited money, and they end up worse off than before they collected.

Agree. Just because you can doesnt mean you should. It's like a switch gets turned to turn off your inhibitions and logic for outright stupidity and lavish craziness. If you are smart about your cash, you can make it work for your whole life and a vast multitude of your generations after leaving a legacy behind you.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #24
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Theres plenty of others
We have a group syndicate at work for the big euro one
It was at 2 billion $ au
Cost us $56 for 4 lines and we didnt even get a number
It was 5 numbers and a powerball

We are going for more lines as of next week and it will be a weekly thing

Theres quite a few lottos over there that are massive

You will find that if you are in sa, when you register on lottoland it will not have a state option for sa
Because sa is the only state that never linked up with it and youre not supposed yo be allowed to p,ay from sa
So our syndicate is apparently based in the act lol
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #25
blueoval
Critical Thinker

What was the tax rate for that 1b powerball anyway? I heard it was 70% over a certain amount in the US. Either way, the government win.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 17-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #26
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
What was the tax rate for that 1b powerball anyway? I heard it was 70% over a certain amount in the US. Either way, the government win.
From http://www.cnbc.com

That estimated $1.5 billion prize is only if the winner opts to take the winnings in 30 payments over 29 years. If you want the money now in one lump sum, the jackpot is a mere $930 million, a cut of 38 percent.

Next up is the federal tax bill. Lottery winnings are taxed as ordinary income.

"If they win the jackpot, they're going to be subject to the highest federal tax rate of 39.6 percent," said Melissa Labant, director of tax advocacy for the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. "It's a lot more significant than folks expect."

Nor are there many workarounds to substantially cut that bill. "You're not the type of consumer the U.S. government is looking to give a tax break to," she said.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #27
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
From http://www.cnbc.com

That estimated $1.5 billion prize is only if the winner opts to take the winnings in 30 payments over 29 years. If you want the money now in one lump sum, the jackpot is a mere $930 million, a cut of 38 percent.

Next up is the federal tax bill. Lottery winnings are taxed as ordinary income.

"If they win the jackpot, they're going to be subject to the highest federal tax rate of 39.6 percent," said Melissa Labant, director of tax advocacy for the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. "It's a lot more significant than folks expect."

Nor are there many workarounds to substantially cut that bill. "You're not the type of consumer the U.S. government is looking to give a tax break to," she said.
Id be happy to take the 30 payments over 29yrs. Thats like $51 million a year. I think the biggest issue is if you would be happy not to except the interest that amount would potentially generate if you were paid a lump sum. Either way I dont trust the banks.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont