Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
Focused

Default FGX XR8 buying advice - have I left it too late?

Hi all,
I’ve decided on taking the plunge and going to buy an FGX XR8, so now I’m just in the process of finding one. My local dealer (rural NSW) has a gold coloured one, which I’m not keen on, and he seemed fairly disinterested in my business (ie. I turn up, well dressed, stating that I’ve already got finance approval and he didn’t even offer a testdrive* or ask about tradeins..etc). He said that there’s barely any left in the country, and the one I looked at had been sold twice but the finance fell through (really??)

My question is, are the dealers going to fight for my business or do they feel that there’s no need to because the car is somewhat collectable? A quick search of Carsales.com.au reveals plenty of new (or near new) FGX XR8s around so they can’t be that rare! And I suspect that the XR8 Sprint would have rendered the standard XR8s slightly less desirable. Will they budge on the price at all?

*Would I be expected to buy one without a testdrive? The car is "new" and not a demo so maybe that was a reason? Surely a little drive? I’m fairly sure I’ll love it, but am a bit worried the ride may be too rough.
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: FGX XR8 buying advice - have I left it too late?

Find another dealer. Although I must admit, I do side with dealers not taking out their new cars which may have less than 20km on them, because in no time they are selling a car with 250kays on the clock, hardly 'Brand New'.
I've just put a deposit on one, a 2016 white auto, and went to the country to buy it because Sydney dealers are basically asking retail ($61k). It's definitely a buyer's market with these cars, but if it is around the mid-50's, then they probably won't move too much on it, but grab it at that price anyway (especially if it's a '16 build).
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
Focused

Thanks. Yeah there's a few in the mid $50s DA and I suspect I won't get one much cheaper than that.
I might make a few calls tomorrow.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:02 PM   #4
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check out carsales, 250 new FGX XR8s turn up. Surely there's a few near you.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #5
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
There's certainly a few (all >100s of kms) which is why I was surprised by the dealers lack of interest. He made no attempt at trying to sell it to me so I guess I'll take my $55K elsewhere...
Old 09-05-2016, 07:15 PM   #6
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused View Post
There's certainly a few (all >100s of kms) which is why I was surprised by the dealers lack of interest. He made no attempt at trying to sell it to me so I guess I'll take my $55K elsewhere...
Thing is, come October, there will be no more. In fact regular XR8 production has already finished. Dealers are in no hurry to sell them, hence the attitude.

Stick with it and myself would be buying sooner rather than later because it will only get worse.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 07:17 PM   #7
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Thing is, come October, there will be no more. In fact regular XR8 production has already finished. Dealers are in no hurry to sell them, hence the attitude.

Stick with it and myself would be buying sooner rather than later because it will only get worse.
All true. I know that dealers may be keen to move stock before June 30th, but two months is a long time away (as you said, production has already stopped!)
Old 09-05-2016, 08:34 PM   #8
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just flick off messages through carsales, and then talk to anyone who comes back to you

in the meantime search through threads here to see the lowest prices people have paid, and offer that, see what they say

not rocket surgery fella

good luck
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 09:19 PM   #9
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is about 4 at my local dealer in Townsville north queensland if you want a drive! White, blue, two silvers,two smoke and a black one. All been there from what feels like a month, the white and silver what send longer. Hopefully the link will work.
http://carmichaelford.sitedynamic.co...Max=&priceMax=
bernbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #10
Focused

Sadly NSW's incredibly frustrating registration process renders any interstate imports far too much effort. I recently converted my Victorian Focus to NSW plates and swore to never again. It's easier to just buy a new car (I recall saying )
Old 09-05-2016, 09:26 PM   #11
ParisManfred
1971 XY 351

Do a ring around to other NSW dealers and I'm sure you will find a better salesman. I had a similar experience with my local so I took my money to a more welcoming dealer 4 hours away. Let us know how it turns out. Are you after an auto or manual.
2016 Territory Titanium AWD Smoke Diesel
2005 FLSTFI 15th Anniversary Fat Boy

Car History:
XY Ute, XY Ford Falcon 351, ZG Fairlane, ZH Marquis, XB GT Sedan, XC Panel Van, XD Panel Van, XE Ute, EA Sedan, BA XR8, BF XR6 Turbo Ute, FG X XR8.
ParisManfred is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #12
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisManfred View Post
Do a ring around to other NSW dealers and I'm sure you will find a better salesman. I had a similar experience with my local so I took my money to a more welcoming dealer 4 hours away. Let us know how it turns out. Are you after an auto or manual.
Auto. Too much stop-start driving.

I've got a trade-in, which might complicate things but ah well. I might spend tomorrow afternoon making calls.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:35 PM   #13
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Good luck in Sydney, I copped the same thing a couple of months back. These dealers are on the "collector's item" train and tend to have a very cocky attitude about them. My closest dealer had a 2015 demo and wouldn't budge from $62k. I let him know that I'd already been offered a '16 for $5k cheaper than his '15 demo and the response was basically "well go buy that one". Zero interest.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2016, 09:37 PM   #14
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Good luck in Sydney, I copped the same thing a couple of months back. These dealers are on the "collector's item" train and tend to have a very cocky attitude about them. My closest dealer had a 2015 demo and wouldn't budge from $62k. I let him know that I'd already been offered a '16 for $5k cheaper than his '15 demo and the response was basically "well go buy that one". Zero interest.
Interesting. There's heaps on Carsales in the mid-50s so I hope they not advertising lower prices just to get phone calls. Interestingly, I saw the same car on carsales.com.au that I checked out this afternoon and it was $1K cheaper online... ($56 vs 57K)
Old 09-05-2016, 09:38 PM   #15
RHR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres a maroon looking one and a grey/blue one sitting at the dealership in Goulburn if that helps
BA 5.4L Fairmont goone
LW MKII Focus ST gone

Y62 Series 5 Patrol TI
FG MKII XR6T
FGX XR8
RHR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 09:45 PM   #16
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ring lake ford in Newcastle they have a black February 2016 xr8 auto for about $57-$58000. Brand new. The last one they have. Better hurry up, they have sold there last 4 in a month or so.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 09:47 PM   #17
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or buy one with 5000ks on it for around $50000
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 09:51 PM   #18
Focused

Thanks for the replies. I'd prefer a lighter colour (it looks fantastic in white) but I'll have a look.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:55 PM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Find a better dealer. My xr6 was brand new on the floor, we test drove it with 9km on the Odo, then bought it. My xr8 I haggled into the 52's, bought in early jan, October 2015 model brand new. It's all about your dealer, and the rapport you build with them.

Also don't trust how many are advertised, they're not all actually there.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2016, 11:02 PM   #20
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Byrne ford in Brisbane has been selling demos for 46k. Cheap!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 11:15 PM   #21
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Just don't try and find a manual....

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 11:21 PM   #22
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Byrne ford in Brisbane has been selling demos for 46k. Cheap!
High Km demos? That price is stupid unless they have up to 10k on them
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2016, 06:50 AM   #23
WyldOne

If you're looking for manual, you may have missed the boat. I called up virtually every dealership in the country chasing a manual XR8 about 2 months ago. I was told there is none on the database plenty of times, but I did get lucky and manage to find a brand-new one sitting on a show room floor.
WyldOne is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #24
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

You experience mirrors mine when I was looking at an XR8, several Sydney dealerships seemingly didn't want my business - but this has been my experience with Ford dealerships for as long as I've been buying cars.

The first Ford dealer to actually show interest and actually selling me a new Ford was Craig@Rockdale. Might be a little too far for you but ping him and see if he can sort something out for you.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #25
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
A lot of those ads have no stock backing them up. They're just billboards on Carsales to get you into the dealership.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #26
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
A lot of those ads have no stock backing them up. They're just billboards on Carsales to get you into the dealership.
It is BLOODY ANNOYING how often this is the case now. Bait and switch, just wastes your time.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #27
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
Find a better dealer. My xr6 was brand new on the floor, we test drove it with 9km on the Odo, then bought it. My xr8 I haggled into the 52's, bought in early jan, October 2015 model brand new. It's all about your dealer, and the rapport you build with them.

Also don't trust how many are advertised, they're not all actually there.
Wow 52 is a great price.

I haggled at 54 and all I got was mats.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2016, 07:47 PM   #28
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I'd prefer a lighter colour (it looks fantastic in white) but I'll have a look.
As of 4pm this afternoon (when I drove past) Lanham Ford in Leeton have a white XR8 in their yard. No plates on it that I saw. May be worth a call.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:25 PM   #29
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi all,
I’ve decided on taking the plunge and going to buy an FGX XR8, so now I’m just in the process of finding one. My local dealer (rural NSW) has a gold coloured one, which I’m not keen on, and he seemed fairly disinterested in my business (ie. I turn up, well dressed, stating that I’ve already got finance approval and he didn’t even offer a testdrive* or ask about tradeins..etc). He said that there’s barely any left in the country, and the one I looked at had been sold twice but the finance fell through (really??)

My question is, are the dealers going to fight for my business or do they feel that there’s no need to because the car is somewhat collectable? A quick search of Carsales.com.au reveals plenty of new (or near new) FGX XR8s around so they can’t be that rare! And I suspect that the XR8 Sprint would have rendered the standard XR8s slightly less desirable. Will they budge on the price at all?

*Would I be expected to buy one without a testdrive? The car is "new" and not a demo so maybe that was a reason? Surely a little drive? I’m fairly sure I’ll love it, but am a bit worried the ride may be too rough.
G'day..Absolutely not doubting you in regard to "not" seemingly wanting to sell you a car , just flummoxed is all...and we wonder why Ford are so far down the sales nowadays!!!!!!!...In the good old days ..salesman would drive you insane trying to sell a car..What's happening ?...Hope you end up finding a great XR8 soon..Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #30
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cant understand everyone saying about sales people not being interested.
I just bought a new Falcon and went to 3 dealerships they were all pretty much no bs and all wanted to do the deal. I'm pretty sure it comes down to how you come across to the dealer because no doubt they would get lots of tyre kickers wanting to drive this and that.
Like Rodp I ended up with Craig@Rockdale
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post