Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-06-2016, 02:01 AM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Wll there be a new Taurus

Just curious what the future holds for the Ford Taurus.
Sales in the USA have spiralled downwards, to literally a fraction of what they once were. I guess the difference there is that they have a plethora of mid to large SUVs for people and cops to choose from.
Sales for last year were under 50k, and I don't know if that's sustainable for a car that is only sold in the US.

Until now, the Taurus, "Police Interceptor", and Lincoln MKS, have all shared the same platform. It's the largest sedan platform Ford still makes (apart from our E8 for a few more months.)
They have announced the return of the Lincoln Continental to replace the MKS, but no word on which platform it will use.

Interestingly, when Ford wanted to launch a "Taurus" model in China, they chose to stretch the Mondeo/ Fusion's CD4 platform. And it is speculated the Continental will also use some derivation of the CD4.

At the same time, growth of Fusion sales appears strong. I don't actually know in reality how much bigger a Taurus is? They share similar engines, however the Mondeo/ Fusion has a more varied selection, including hybrids.

All in all, I would say the writing is on the wall for the Taurus, but The Fusion has already filled much of the gap.

Once the Falcon has gone, I just hope FA get their **** together and start properly importing and marketing the Mondeo/ Fusion.
Hybrid models would keep the hippies happy, and an AWD ecoboost V6 should go like stink. (As long as we get European suspension, and not the **** version.)
Old 18-06-2016, 02:28 AM   #2
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Default Re: Wll there be a new Taurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Interestingly, when Ford wanted to launch a "Taurus" model in China, they chose to stretch the Mondeo/ Fusion's CD4 platform. And it is speculated the Continental will also use some derivation of the CD4.
Last I heard that will also replace the US Taurus. It was time for a new chassis for the Taurus, anyway. The current one is too heavy and the B pillar location is poor (police do nothing but complain about it).
Old 18-06-2016, 03:56 AM   #3
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

The Taurus on sale in China right now is the new 7th gen Taurus. The US still has the 6th gen model.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

50,000 sales? You kind of wonder why they would bother making it for the U.S. Large sedans are becoming about as popular as full sized coupes in the 80s.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just curious what the future holds for the Ford Taurus.
Sales in the USA have spiralled downwards, to literally a fraction of what they once were. I guess the difference there is that they have a plethora of mid to large SUVs for people and cops to choose from.
Sales for last year were under 50k, and I don't know if that's sustainable for a car that is only sold in the US.

Until now, the Taurus, "Police Interceptor", and Lincoln MKS, have all shared the same platform. It's the largest sedan platform Ford still makes (apart from our E8 for a few more months.)
They have announced the return of the Lincoln Continental to replace the MKS, but no word on which platform it will use.

At the same time, growth of Fusion sales appears strong. I don't actually know in reality how much bigger a Taurus is? They share similar engines, however the Mondeo/ Fusion has a more varied selection, including hybrids.

All in all, I would say the writing is on the wall for the Taurus, but The Fusion has already filled much of the gap.

Once the Falcon has gone, I just hope FA get their **** together and start properly importing and marketing the Mondeo/ Fusion.
Hybrid models would keep the hippies happy, and an AWD ecoboost V6 should go like stink. (As long as we get European suspension, and not the **** version.)
Didn't Ford AU and Holden both say that the cars they import for us will have their suspension and stuff tweaked for Australian conditions?

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2016, 12:24 AM   #6
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
The Taurus on sale in China right now is the new 7th gen Taurus. The US still has the 6th gen model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic View Post
Last I heard that will also replace the US Taurus. It was time for a new chassis for the Taurus, anyway.
But they didn't develop a new platform, they simply stretched the existing mid-sized. I suppose that is a natural extension of the One-Ford, eliminating low-volume platforms.

I would have thought that if it was going to be for the US market, they would have developed it there, instead of here.
Old 19-06-2016, 12:44 AM   #7
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
I would have thought that if it was going to be for the US market, they would have developed it there, instead of here.
People don't buy large sedans here anymore.
Old 19-06-2016, 12:49 AM   #8
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Unless it's a luxury brand, but that's never going to have a big slice of the market. The CT6 and Continental will do well.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #9
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day ...Interesting topic...I keep getting told that the sedan car market is shrunk so bad now , especially in the mid-large size area and why Falcon and Commodore sales have plummeted in the past decade despite both being very capable and reliable vehicles..Americans tend to buy American more than most and Fusion is selling fairly well apparently and probably detrimental to the larger Taurus..Maybe Taurus is heading down the same path as our Falcon and development other than a decent market in China/Asia will be limited and it'll end altogether one day..It seems the European spec Mondeo is to be marketed as our "Falcon" replacement eventually but given the smaller market share now for sedans I have my doubts that Ford showrooms in our country will have several model choices of the car , like that of Falcon in it's heyday and Taurus in the U.S.A. and elsewhere may well be the same..On the Taurus , a right hand drive (not planned it seems) V6 ecoboost AWD...might be really inspiring to look at but that looks like Mission Impossible at this stage for small RHD markets like ours..Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

My understanding is that there will be no US Taurus after the current generation winds up.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2016, 07:37 PM   #11
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, yes they do.
IF there was going to be a new Taurus, and IF it was easy to build a RHD model, and IF they could get it cheaply FA would sell it here. And quite possibly they might have migrated Falcon buyers towards it.

There is now just so much choice, and the competition from Thai and Korean models is intense.
People forget that a current Mondeo is bigger that an E-series Falcon, and even has a longer wheelbase than a B-series. Take out the tunnel, and they're roomier inside.
If FA can source a cheap supply, we should see the Mondeo sedan offered as well, post-Falcon.
Old 19-06-2016, 07:56 PM   #12
IanC

I heard that sales of the Mondeo are poor in Europe and the UK. People are not buying large sedans same as here. If Mondeo sales in the UK are low will Ford spend the money on making a RHD drive version of the next Mondeo?
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #13
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The biggest market for the Mondeo in Europe was the UK and that only sold 15,000 last year. I suspect annual Commodore production is more than what they sell Mondeo
in Europe. The Chinese market probably saves the day
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2016, 09:41 PM   #14
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yes, yes they do.
IF there was going to be a new Taurus, and IF it was easy to build a RHD model, and IF they could get it cheaply FA would sell it here. And quite possibly they might have migrated Falcon buyers towards it.

There is now just so much choice, and the competition from Thai and Korean models is intense.
People forget that a current Mondeo is bigger that an E-series Falcon, and even has a longer wheelbase than a B-series. Take out the tunnel, and they're roomier inside.
If FA can source a cheap supply, we should see the Mondeo sedan offered as well, post-Falcon.
I think that when Moby Vic said that about large sedans he meant where he is, not where you are
Old 19-06-2016, 11:36 PM   #15
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, yes they do.

While it's true that Fusion/Mondeo is a big sedan, in the US it's classified as a mid-size sedan, in the same segment as Optima, 200, Sonata, Camry, Altima, and Malibu. The large sedan segment consists of cars like the Taurus, Cadenza, Impala, 300, Avalon, Azera, and Maxima. They aren't big volume sellers anymore.
Old 20-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #16
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2018 Ford Taurus Engine

''There will be three engine options for the new Ford sedan. Among the engines will be a 2.0-liter V6 engine rated at 240 hp and 268 lb-ft. Another engine will be a 2.7-liter V6 with a capability of 325 hp and 375 lb-ft. The last choice will be a 3.5-liter V6 engine efficient in generating 365 hp and 350 lb-ft.

All the engines will work with a 6-speed automatic transmission system. This transmitter will enable a two-wheel drive or a 4×4. The vehicle will take 6.0 seconds to accelerate from 0 to 60 miles per hour. Concerning fuel economy, the new Ford sedan will have a gas intake of 20 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway. The engines have actually ecoboost features, so we expect them to be environment friendly."
http://www.fordblogs.com/2018-ford-taurus/

Last edited by csv8; 18-07-2016 at 09:10 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2016, 12:18 PM   #17
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
I heard that sales of the Mondeo are poor in Europe and the UK. People are not buying large sedans same as here. If Mondeo sales in the UK are low will Ford spend the money on making a RHD drive version of the next Mondeo?
Large Sedans never sold well in the UK, and there's no Culture for them.
the new Mondeo is pretty big now so perhaps that's a factor.

I haven't been inside one, but on the road they look to be near Falcon size
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2016, 01:38 PM   #18
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
It's slightly narrower inside, but has more rear legroom. Rear headroom in the hatch is tight - if I sit upright in the back seat, my head is touching the roof.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2016, 09:03 AM   #19
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Unless it's a luxury brand, but that's never going to have a big slice of the market. The CT6 and Continental will do well.
CT6 is not doing well.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/cadil...sales-numbers/
Old 22-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #20
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Good to know. I think it is a little overpriced, and sadly they do charge a premium for the 3.0TT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #21
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
2018 Ford Taurus Engine

''There will be three engine options for the new Ford sedan. Among the engines will be a 2.0-liter V6 engine rated at 240 hp and 268 lb-ft. Another engine will be a 2.7-liter V6 with a capability of 325 hp and 375 lb-ft. The last choice will be a 3.5-liter V6 engine efficient in generating 365 hp and 350 lb-ft.

All the engines will work with a 6-speed automatic transmission system. This transmitter will enable a two-wheel drive or a 4×4. The vehicle will take 6.0 seconds to accelerate from 0 to 60 miles per hour. Concerning fuel economy, the new Ford sedan will have a gas intake of 20 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway. The engines have actually ecoboost features, so we expect them to be environment friendly."
http://www.fordblogs.com/2018-ford-taurus/
Unfortunately that information appears incorrect (including that photoshop of the Lincoln Continental); from the product plans i've seen, the current US Taurus will linger on for a little bit before being put out to pasture. The Fusion (aka Mondeo) will become Ford's large sedan by default.

My view of the Chinese-built Taurus, is that the styling would have to be seriously re-worked to do have any chance on US-spoil - it's far too anonymous for American tastes.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #22
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Large Sedans never sold well in the UK, and there's no Culture for them.
the new Mondeo is pretty big now so perhaps that's a factor.

I suspect you're right, the Mondeo now occupies the spot left by the old Scorpio large sedan that used to be sold many moons ago. I recently test-drove a 2.0-litre Ecoboost Titanium wagon, and whilst nice, was a little too big for my liking for a 'drivers' car.

The upcoming, all-new Focus will be 'right-sized' for most UK buyers.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 11:36 PM   #23
Hawkeye84

Would you guys consider a RWD Large sedan made by Kia once the Falcon goes?

http://www.caradvice.com.au/452053/2...e-sedan-spied/

Possible engine options: V6, V6 twin turbo or V8
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post