Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-05-2020, 05:11 PM   #1
MercuryT
Banned

Default Insurance - Cheapskates.

My R36 was reversed into (by a mate ironically so just had a laugh etc as not end of world as he obviously didn't mean to etc......) and was due for replacement on Wednesday.

Just rang to confirm part arrived and spoke to head repairer who explained that my mates insurance company declined the new part as "too expensive", but approved a second hand part.

Apparently R36 parts are very rare and highly expensive (I knew that on purchase). Bloody hell I didn't crash my mate did, so why should I get a the cheapskate repair not new?!?

Anyway, the Bodyworks refused that option and are now repairing rather than replacing - in their experience 2nd hand parts can regularly be rubbish and don't fit properly etc etc so repair preferred.

I don't think this is a fair outcome tbh (how is it my fault/problem their client crashed?) but I'll let it slide as even though a car lover, it's just a car. Plus he was confident would look fine as damage isn't significant.

But it's wrong imo.

Last edited by MercuryT; 11-05-2020 at 05:32 PM.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2020, 05:22 PM   #2
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: Insurance - Cheapskates.

you should be claiming on your insurance, who recover the loss from his. I't not up to his company to approve anything.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2020, 05:28 PM   #3
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
you should be claiming on your insurance, who recover the loss from his. I't not up to his company to approve anything.
Well mate that's what my company did - so I have no excess to pay (my mate is happy to pay his) or anything.

The problem is the other company is refusing a new part as they consider "unreasonably expensive compared to standard Passat (was over 5 times as much the Manager said - VW quote)"?

Bloody hell I don't set the prices nor did anything wrong!

Makes no sense to me as I agree they shouldn't even have any say on the repair cost as their client caused the damage
Old 11-05-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Well mate that's what my company did - so I have no excess to pay (my mate is happy to pay his) or anything.

The problem is the other company is refusing a new part as they consider "unreasonably expensive compared to standard Passat (was over 5 times as much the Manager said - VW quote)"?

Bloody hell I don't set the prices nor did anything wrong!

Makes no sense to me as I agree they shouldn't even have any say on the repair cost as their client caused the damage
Don’t take no for an answer. Read your policy, does it state new parts in the event of a claim, this may come down to the age and condition of the car. Remind your company that they’re there to fight for you, not the other company despite who that company is.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2020, 06:50 PM   #5
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 4V XB View Post
Don’t take no for an answer. Read your policy, does it state new parts in the event of a claim, this may come down to the age and condition of the car. Remind your company that they’re there to fight for you, not the other company despite who that company is.
No I haven't yet just taken their word as being best outcome etc.

Thank you for advice as that was my understanding also. Also why I pay the much higher than usual.Passat premium too!

I'll ring them now as I'm getting frustrated that the other company has any right to decide whatsoever
Old 11-05-2020, 07:11 PM   #6
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You sure it's not the repairer?
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-05-2020, 07:13 PM   #7
MercuryT
Banned

Just rang my insurer.

Reckon the 3rd Party insurer has no say whatsoever on amount once professionally assessed.

Now the initial assessor calling me first thing tomorrow as I was approved a full new replacement bumper......

Sounds like the designated Bodyworks may not be telling the truth and make far more in repairing and labour (they need it for 3 days minimum) than just buying and painting a brand new one.......

Last edited by MercuryT; 11-05-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:14 PM   #8
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
You sure it's not the repairer?
Well the Repairer gave me that advice - as I've heard nothing as was just checking in to get car sorted. I knew nothing about any change to repair etc

As ^, now my Insurer (rang to check) doesn't know anything about this failure to approve a new part from other company etc.......

Sounds dodgy as and I'm not happy.

Last edited by MercuryT; 11-05-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:24 PM   #9
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Insurance companies suck. A mate was parked in a council carpark branch fell on his car. Car park is next to a Fire Station. The Captain of the Fire Station wrote a report stating this was the 3rd time the tree had dropped a large branch causing significant damage and was a safety hazard, including visual evidence of 2 previous incidents. Council replied to insurance company that an Arborist reported no issues with the tree and insurance company would not do anything. Mate had to pay excess.

Last edited by EBSXR6; 11-05-2020 at 07:30 PM.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2020, 07:25 PM   #10
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
Exactly what CommInsure just said.

They have no idea why the new part not ordered as formally assessed.

I'm very confused on what is going on.........
Old 11-05-2020, 07:30 PM   #11
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Just rang my insurer.

Reckon the 3rd Party insurer has no say whatsoever on amount once professionally assessed.

Now the initial assessor calling me first thing tomorrow.......

Sounds like my repairer may not be telling the truth and make far more in repairing than just buying and painting a new one.......
There’s lots to consider when replacing panels over repairing them. Paint blending can be a major factor in the decision.

All repairers will push for repair work, there’s a much bigger margin for profit for them. It’s sometimes a better outcome for the car long term if replacing weld on panels but for R&R panels they only have a small markup on parts.

If your not happy with the first assessor you can ask for an independent assessment, at your expense.

Don’t forget, everyone’s out to make a profit. This goes for the assessor as well, how much money he can save the company goes towards his end of year bonuses.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
2 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2020, 07:47 PM   #12
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
There’s lots to consider when replacing panels over repairing them. Paint blending can be a major factor in the decision.

All repairers will push for repair work, there’s a much bigger margin for profit for them. It’s sometimes a better outcome for the car long term if replacing weld on panels but for R&R panels they only have a small markup on parts.

If your not happy with the first assessor you can ask for an independent assessment, at your expense.

Don’t forget, everyone’s out to make a profit. This goes for the assessor as well, how much money he can save the company goes towards his end of year bonuses.
Thank you and obviously know more than me.

My Assessor approved a full new bumper replacement from VW. No issue whatsoever.

Wouldn't paint blending be the same regardless? Either way the whole bumper is getting repainted whether new or repaired.

I was impressed by CommInsure tbh. Great guy said a new part has been approved and they've heard nothing different.

I don't want to say negative things but I'm worried my Repairer is lying to me. My Insurer said as much hence initial Assesser for Commbank is cancelling the repair until sorted.

Sorry if I'm being needy etc.......but my R36 is immaculate and I want a bloody new one not a repaired one as not my fault and I don't care if it costs more in parts!!!! (as my mate is covering his excess no worries)

Last edited by MercuryT; 11-05-2020 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:11 PM   #13
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I had someone rear end my FG XR6T. I fought for a couple of weeks and then paid the difference of $200 out of my pocket for a new rear bar as I couldn't be bothered spending time and energy fighting them anymore. I'm tipping your difference is much bigger $ wise.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:41 PM   #14
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
I had someone rear end my FG XR6T. I fought for a couple of weeks and then paid the difference of $200 out of my pocket for a new rear bar as I couldn't be bothered spending time and energy fighting them anymore. I'm tipping your difference is much bigger $ wise.
Yeah good work.

Yes mine MUCH higher..........(thousands)

Last edited by MercuryT; 11-05-2020 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:54 PM   #15
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Yeah good work.

Yes mine MUCH higher..........(thousands)
Jeezus, in that case i'd be fighting for sure
Old 11-05-2020, 10:01 PM   #16
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Jeezus, in that case i'd be fighting for sure
Mate I have no idea on truth or not just what been told.

Near 500 for Passat Bumper.

Near 3 Grand for mine - (as has sensors and space for dual exhuasts etc) - all approved etc.

So no, I'm not paying a cent - will update after phone call tomorrow from Assesser as apparently not happy with bodyworks or insurance.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:07 PM   #17
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Your assessors job in your case is to check that the quote matches the damage, as they pay for repairs then they claim it from the other insurance co, so if it warrants a new bumper, the quote is authorised, his insurance has no say as they are not assessing it.

Most panel shops will repair bumpers these days, some larger shops will have a guy fixing all the bumpers, grilles and headlights all day, there used to be companies that did the bumpers on a exchange basis.

Now if he just scratched your car the claim for you is no different than if he t-boned you, the cost is irrelevant, the repair needs to be carried out to a standard that you accept, if your quote states a new bumper then that's what you should get.
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2020, 11:17 PM   #18
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
Your assessors job in your case is to check that the quote matches the damage, as they pay for repairs then they claim it from the other insurance co, so if it warrants a new bumper, the quote is authorised, his insurance has no say as they are not assessing it.

Most panel shops will repair bumpers these days, some larger shops will have a guy fixing all the bumpers, grilles and headlights all day, there used to be companies that did the bumpers on a exchange basis.

Now if he just scratched your car the claim for you is no different than if he t-boned you, the cost is irrelevant, the repair needs to be carried out to a standard that you accept, if your quote states a new bumper then that's what you should get.
Thanks mate.

I was approved a Brand New bumper. I know a Ford Forum but the R36 is a fast sweet wagon.

Found out today (from Bodyworks - CommInsure said the opposite) other Insurer wouldn't pay as too expensive.

No my bumper smashed up but luckily looks ok.

I think this might blow up a bit as I'm not one to just accept it etc
Old 11-05-2020, 11:39 PM   #19
hayseed

Quote:
other Insurer wouldn't pay as too expensive.

i fail to See How the "other" parties Insurer has Any say in Your repair..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2020, 07:44 AM   #20
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't seen it mentioned earlier in the thread - Are you and your mate with different insurance companies? if you both happen to be with NRMA then of course the company will want the cheapest repair.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:48 AM   #21
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Wouldn't a 'second hand part' essentially be a part from the same model pulled of a written off car / wreck?

Curious as to how would that fail to fit properly?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #22
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My R36 was reversed into (by a mate ironically so just had a laugh etc as not end of world as he obviously didn't mean to etc......) and was due for replacement on Wednesday.

Just rang to confirm part arrived and spoke to head repairer who explained that my mates insurance company declined the new part as "too expensive", but approved a second hand part.

Apparently R36 parts are very rare and highly expensive (I knew that on purchase). Bloody hell I didn't crash my mate did, so why should I get a the cheapskate repair not new?!?

Anyway, the Bodyworks refused that option and are now repairing rather than replacing - in their experience 2nd hand parts can regularly be rubbish and don't fit properly etc etc so repair preferred.

I don't think this is a fair outcome tbh (how is it my fault/problem their client crashed?) but I'll let it slide as even though a car lover, it's just a car. Plus he was confident would look fine as damage isn't significant.

But it's wrong imo.
Time to go to another repairer.You probably should be getting a new bumper,but if the Ins Co won’t come to a new,then a good secondhand is a much better option than repairing your original.Repaired plastic bumpers aren’t very successful,they crack where the repairs are done
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #23
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Wouldn't a 'second hand part' essentially be a part from the same model pulled of a written off car / wreck?

Curious as to how would that fail to fit properly?
The problem with second hand parts is you don’t know what’s under the existing paint, assuming it’s painted, how the part has been stored, plastic is very flexible and can go out of shape if not stored correctly. Insurance companies guarantee repairs for X amount of time. If it’s had a bad repair previously and it shows up 2 months later they have to rectify the work.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
2 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2020, 12:09 PM   #24
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The problem with second hand parts is you don’t know what’s under the existing paint, assuming it’s painted, how the part has been stored, plastic is very flexible and can go out of shape if not stored correctly. Insurance companies guarantee repairs for X amount of time. If it’s had a bad repair previously and it shows up 2 months later they have to rectify the work.
If a used bumper looks good from the underside,there is a very good chance that it will be good from the outside too.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:46 PM   #25
MercuryT
Banned

Thank you for the comments above. Much appreciated.

Well I can now update the situation as the assessor rang me directly this morning.

Apparently my insurer gave the wrong advice. The other company was not involved in the decision to not approve a new part, rather the Assessor made the call.

I was initially told I was getting a new part which magically has changed without anyone telling me. Not the end of the world.

However, secondly the Bodyworks did not accept the Assessors 2nd hand part request (as explained to me do not fit properly, poor condition etc) and they have instead decided to repair.

My Assessor now has major concerns over this, because as per the ^^ he thinks that plastic repairs regularly end up as a bad result, and a replacement part much preferred.

So in a nutshell.....I have no idea what is going on, and it seems the people making the decisions and doing the work aren't on the same page either.

The Assessor is now discussing with the Bodyworks about why they are repairing something when assessed as requiring replacement.

Would have thought a simple process but obviously not...…..
Old 12-05-2020, 02:09 PM   #26
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
i fail to See How the "other" parties Insurer has Any say in Your repair..
unless it's the same underwriter..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2020, 06:40 PM   #27
MercuryT
Banned

So despite my arguing that it isn't right the part is being repaired not replaced.

It's stupid and unfair imo, but carries lifetime warranty so let's see how it comes up I guess.

Thank you again FF for help.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:45 PM   #28
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So despite my arguing that it isn't right the part is being repaired not replaced.

It's stupid and unfair imo, but carries lifetime warranty so let's see how it comes up I guess.

Thank you again FF for help.
Don’t believe the lifetime warranty.If the repair cracks after a few months they will argue that you must have bumped it with something,or it has been carpark bumped!anything to avoid fixing it for you.The panel shop has already shown their colours
Old 12-05-2020, 07:20 PM   #29
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Don’t believe the lifetime warranty.If the repair cracks after a few months they will argue that you must have bumped it with something,or it has been carpark bumped!anything to avoid fixing it for you.The panel shop has already shown their colours
Yeah thanks mate.

Sounded too good to be true also...........

I'll keep that in mind as I suspected I'm being screwed over, but I'm not sure what else I can do?

The Assessor for my Insurance said it was "too expensive" to replace new so it wasn't the other Company as I was told. Hence second hand or repair. The Bodyworks chose the latter (like I explained to him it's only to make more money in labour, but he said bad luck. Great, thanks).

Whole thing is stupid imo.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:45 PM   #30
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
unless it's the same underwriter..
Fair Point...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post