Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
mrgo40rd

Default weekend get aways

need some help looking at going away next month for a weekend away to celebrate one year of marriage bliss any suggestions would be great max 2hrs from syd. looking for a place that we can relax

Member of 'Falcon Tickford FPV Club of NSW'
www.ftf.org.au
Nolathane, Whiteline and Whiteline PLUS enhanced
car care products 1300 006 007 (keep it looking clean)
mrgo40rd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Port Stephens is a little over 2hrs but not much and still a great drive, great place for a weekend away.

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #3
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grum
Port Stephens is a little over 2hrs but not much and still a great drive, great place for a weekend away.
I agree, port stephens is a great place. I go there pretty regularly with my g/f and other times with family. Check these guys out for accomodation

http://www.winningholidays.com.au/

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Kiama or Nowra are also pretty nice spots. I spent a few holidays in Ulladulla when I was a kid and loved it.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Blue Mountains???
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Mudgee FTW ... a very nice place.
I am heading up there in September for a weekend with the wife.

Not bad roads either ... and the maibn township of Mudgee is pretty damn modern as well ... they have awesome restaurants ... and plenty of wineries as well ... with resort style accommodation all round the area.

Well worth the look. And the pricing is pretty good as well.
The Bakery is a MUST visit.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k

Not bad roads either ... and the maibn township of Mudgee is pretty damn modern as well ... they have awesome restaurants ... and plenty of wineries as well ... with resort style accommodation all round the area.

AGREED
Is a pretty good place to visit..if you want to go for a drive around there you can visit the wineries or head towards rylstone and kandos and see the countryside and dunns swamp (about 45min drive). How would i know because kandos, rylstone and mudgee are my home areas hahahahaha
I agree the bakery is a must visit !!

On the down side Mudgee is a bit more than 2 hrs drive haha try about 3.5-4 hours..Still its worth it

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

only 2 hours from Kurrajong for me ... hee hee.

I found it about an hour (just about right on) from Lithgow town centre.
I guess it depends which part of Sydney you are coming from Matt (I forget where you live now).

But the drive up Bells Line to Lithgow is nice early morning ... and then from Lithgow out is just as good again.

I am going to visit the Italian Restaurant again ... would have to have the best lasagne and pasta dishes I have come across anywhere. Need to book in advance though.
Old 28-08-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Yea I like Kiama, Jamberoo, Berry area. Very pretty and has some history, as for the bliss stuff, I suppose you will have to take that with you. :

Nearly forgot, you could go over Sea Cliff bridge...
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #10
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for this thread, i need ideas for somewhere to take the missus soon.. shes getting naggy
Old 28-08-2007, 11:45 PM   #11
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

blue mountains and jenolan caves are good. drive up the bells line of road , mount tomah gardens , go for a ride on the zig zag railway, on through lithgow, visit the jenolan caves (full day ) , katoomba , all nice romatic spots.

mudgee , rylstone area is very pretty as well but a bit further to drive.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 10:17 AM   #12
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jenolan caves is a good spot for a dirty weekend, although it's better in the middle of winter when you can sit in front of a big fire at the bar in between other activites. Hydro Magestic is another good spot.
Regards,
Tote
Old 29-08-2007, 10:21 AM   #13
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Head to the Hunter, stay at one the resort hotels, go to Roberts Restaurant Sat night for a night of fantastic food topped with a great selection of white/reds and get her primed for desert !!! lol....
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 10:33 AM   #14
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

whats the budget, cause I mean for similar money to the petrol you are using, you COULD possible get return flights on the cheap to Melb, Qld or Tas, and then pick up a cheap accom package at one of the hotels.

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 10:34 AM   #15
winovin

Hi,

I agree with the Hunter Valley, but have been to Roberts a couple of times and think it is overrated. Try 1 Broke Rd (chef has changed, but the previous one was brilliant).

I recommend staying at Casuarina - fun theme rooms, and superb restaurant on site. They only have a few rooms and not many amenities, but it is a great place to stay.

http://www.casuarinainn.com.au/
winovin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #16
SpooN XL

Shaol Bay resort is very nice as well.

http://shoalbayresort.com.au/accommodation.cfm
SpooN XL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #17
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Just work out a 2-3 hour radius from Sydney , Close your eyes , and hit the map .

You'll find where ever you go there's so much to see in ANY area . Ok, there'll be the odd place that's not quite so good , but good places far outweigh the bad . (But do a little research)

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #18
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We are about to go here http://www.gumnutglen.com.au/cabin.php Picked the holiday up on ebay .... I love ebay :P

Mudgee is also a great place. There is a B&B called Myan Breezes http://www.totaltravel.com.au/link.asp?fid=536861 that we have stayed at too, Wonderfuly romantic & brilliant hosts. We had tea at the Blue Wren Winery( driven to the restaurant by the winery's owner) near by and were amazed by the food & service.

A must do even if its not this time ;)
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 02:29 PM   #19
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k

I Agree too.

My better half is a Mudgee Girl.

The Bakery is Awesome, You can do the winery tours... Tasting, ect.
Im told you can even get bus tours out of your motel that allow you to get sloshed while you go wine tasting, If thats your thing...
Plenty of great resturants, I like the Red Heffer Bar & Grill is very good, Its opposite Lawson Park.

Travel time, depends on your driving, I've done it in just over 90mins on my bike from Richmond.
By car, anywhere from 2-3hrs and being that i know where mrgoford lives, wack on another 45mins.
I usually average, 2-2.5hrs with a stop at Lithgow McMaccas.

Going up the Bells Line of Road is defiantly the best route, No traffic lights and higher speed limits
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
I Agree too.

Im told you can even get bus tours out of your motel that allow you to get sloshed while you go wine tasting, If thats your thing...
Plenty of great resturants, I like the Red Heffer Bar & Grill is very good, Its opposite Lawson Park.

Travel time, depends on your driving, I've done it in just over 90mins on my bike from Richmond.
By car, anywhere from 2-3hrs and being that i know where mrgoford lives, wack on another 45mins.

Going up the Bells Line of Road is defiantly the best route, No traffic lights and higher speed limits
If not a Maccas person wanting a proper breakfast ... i found a great cafe in the main street in Lithgow that had a great breakfast ... forgot the name ... i think it was near a Coles Supermarket though ... on the side Zig Zag side of Lithgow.

But as Norm mentioned ... there's so many places to got to and see within a 3 hour radius of Sydney.

I might just check out some of the places that have been mentioned here as well ... just for somewhere different to go to.

Some really great suggestions here though.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #21
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thought I would just let you guys know that this place http://www.gumnutglen.com.au/cabin.php Is AWESOME !!!!!!

Quiet, relaxing, the Spa is the bestest, the hosts are never seen unless you need them ...... was an amazing week away ;)
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #22
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgo40rd
need some help looking at going away next month for a weekend away to celebrate one year of marriage bliss any suggestions would be great max 2hrs from syd. looking for a place that we can relax
Barington tops are nice for a weekender, see here http://www.thebarringtons.com.au/ for just one of the accommodation places that is really good. Lots of others to choose from though.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2007, 04:31 PM   #23
mrgo40rd

thanks for all the advise settled for port stephens 2 night $318 including breaky only 2-3 hours form syd

Member of 'Falcon Tickford FPV Club of NSW'
www.ftf.org.au
Nolathane, Whiteline and Whiteline PLUS enhanced
car care products 1300 006 007 (keep it looking clean)
mrgo40rd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #24
XR5Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
I Agree too.

Is it worth going to Mudgee if you aren't into wines and rip off restruants? Is there anything of significant technical or heratige interest to see? I went to Uni in Bathurst and every second person there was from Mudgee. Have always want to go there but I am not interested in wine. Have been to Margaret river W.A.and was highly unimpressed.
XR5Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #25
olfella
Cranky old bastard

If you are into history there is a bit up there. Gulgong, Henry Lawson? We came backthrough Sofla whichwereold golddiggings. Nice scenery...

I have to learn to put spaces in!!
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2007, 08:59 PM   #26
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1
Barington tops are nice for a weekender, see here http://www.thebarringtons.com.au/ for just one of the accommodation places that is really good. Lots of others to choose from though.
Yeah Gloucester/Barrington Tops...Both good,Lots of B&B's in and out of town and then there's the Hooke's Creek resort up at the tops,Also a variety of farm stays etc etc.Good People,Good Food & Good country atmosphere.....can you tell where I live....lol :

2009 TWEEKD FG XR8 IN SILHOUETTE
all mods done by Walter Markham from Oztek Performance
killerjoolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #27
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

some great places to visit around the Mudgee area , especially if you are interested in heritage .
Gulgong just to the north as mentioned ,
Rylstone to the east is one of the oldest towns west of the mountains and has plenty of old buildings and a great attmosphere .
about 8km away you have Kandos which is more of a small industrial town with the cement factory, charbon coal mine, the unique overhead ropeway conveyer system .
lots of great senic drives from Rylstone / Kandos into the western edges of the Wollemi national park. dunns swamp despite the name is a beautiful spot . a water storage dam amongs the sandstone cliffs.

Hillend is a great day trip from mudgee and is a living gold mining musem.

mudgee itself is a vibrant country town that has plenty of its own old buildings and heritage. it also is the service hub to the large Ulan coal mine and the new Moolarben mine that is just getting started.

: :evil3: starting to sound like a travell agent now so i will : :
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2007, 11:52 PM   #28
XR5Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella
If you are into history there is a bit up there. Gulgong, Henry Lawson? We came backthrough Sofla whichwereold golddiggings. Nice scenery...

I have to learn to put spaces in!!
I know Gulgong was the town on the original $10 note. I have been to Sofala/Hill End plenty of times. The bridle track Bathurst to Hill end is great on a trail bike. (a bit rough in a car)
XR5Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post