Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 25-08-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
JR.
Once more with feeling

Default Ford Confirms Debut Date for Australian Rally Championship

Official press release from Ford:

Quote:
Ford TeamRS Australia has confirmed that it will debut its all-new Focus in the Globalstar Australia Rally Championship at the Bathurst Rally NSW from 28-30 October.

It will be a big month for Ford at the spiritual home of Australian motor sport, with the rally being run just three weeks after the Super Cheap Auto 1000 for V8 Supercars.

In making the announcement Ford Racing Manager Ross Booth also outlined some details on the engine for the Focus.

"The opportunity to debut the car at Bathurst is not just important from a sporting sense, but also from a publicity point of view it's ideal," said Booth.

"We have a very good chance of winning the 1000 kilometre V8 Supercar race at the start of the month, so to back that up with a strong showing in the rally at the end of October the month would be pretty special.

"The progress we've made during testing and development has us feeling very positive about our debut at Bathurst.

"Our plan of testing and developing before making our competition debut has paid dividends with some pretty good numbers coming from our engine program.

"At the moment we're getting 209 kW (280 BHP) which is better than we had anticipated at this stage. The further good news is that and we have plenty of room for improvement. The team is We are ahead of its of our target on with our torque figures and we have no doubt about the engine's reliability.

"Right now we'll continue to work on getting the car in a condition ready to debut at Bathurst, as well as continue our negotiations with our commercial partners."

The power for the Focus comes from an in-line, 4-cylinder, 16-valve, twin-cam Duratec engine. Ford Racing Engineering Manager Steve Hoinville has been overseeing the engine and transmission program.

"Like the rest of the car, the engine and transmission package has been built to take full advantage of the Group N (P) regulations," said Hoinville.

"The engine car features an all aluminium blackblock, with a unique inlet and exhaust manifolding. The entire package will be controlled by a Motec ECU.

"The power outputs have been very pleasing, but more importantly the power curve matches our six speed transmission. well.

"We have a huge amount of work still ahead of us before Bathurst. However, with our engine and transmission programs running well, we are confident that we will have a good starting point in other areas, such as suspension."

As part of continued preparation for the 2006 Globalstar Australian Rally Championship, driver Michael Guest and co-driver Mark Stacey will take part in reconnaissance for the NGK Rally of Melbourne on Thursday 1 September.

Ford has supplied the NGK Rally of Melbourne a number of officials' vehicles and will have the a number of new Focus road models on display over the weekend of the event.
Old 25-08-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
whippet_zetec
Supes

does anyone here want to head out to bathurst for this event? might be interested in doing a day trip to see the new Team FocusRS
Old 25-08-2005, 02:04 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

SWEEEEEEEET!!!!! Sounds sensational!!!!! Turbo 4, very nice!!
Old 25-08-2005, 02:23 PM   #4
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

It was always in the back of my mind that'd I'd like to make the trip out to Bathurst. So I'm up for it.

Fortunately, I have a contact in Bathurst that helps me with accomodation. As we all know finding somewhere to stay come the V8 raceweekend is nigh on impossible. Although the weekend the Rally is on it mightn't be too difficult to find somewhere to stay.

So anyone interested in staying o/night, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

The house has SIX (from last count) bedrooms and is only a stone's throw from the Mt Panorama track.

Does anyone know the specific location of the Rally???
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 02:27 PM   #5
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

there will be special stages on the mount panorama circuit itself..
not sure where it goes from there, but when I crewed on the bathurst round of the NSW state rally they went from starting on mt pan, out oberon/black springs way, then went back across to sunny corner for some night states, obviously a national round will probably vary a fair bit from this as it is a much larger event however.

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 03:00 PM   #6
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Awesome news. Can't wait to see it perform. Love to be there for it's debut but I will actually be at Bathurst for the V8 supercars (I'm heading east in a couple of weeks for a driving holiday:eclipsee_) and my best mate is getting married at the end of October so I will have to return to the west before then.

Not to worry, coz two weeks after I get back it will be time for the final ever installment of Telstra Rally Australia (can't believe the W.A govt. is giving it up...the stupidity : ). I'll be there every day, including the practice sessions...still can't believe it...gone forever :
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 06:25 PM   #7
simonr
Focus Rookie

Yer im up here at uni, Can't Wait..
Old 25-08-2005, 06:34 PM   #8
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I'll be in the Service Park for Rally of Melbourne looking after 2 promo Zetecs Mk II's for Ford so if anyone is going to ROM, please come and say Hi!!!!! Just found out and I'm very excited!! It's a dream come true to see Ford rallying again and even better to be part of it!!!!
Old 25-08-2005, 11:08 PM   #9
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I'll be in the Service Park for Rally of Melbourne looking after 2 promo Zetecs Mk II's for Ford so if anyone is going to ROM, please come and say Hi!!!!! Just found out and I'm very excited!! It's a dream come true to see Ford rallying again and even better to be part of it!!!!
man you are a lucky ***** to score that job wish I could too
Old 26-08-2005, 01:54 AM   #10
zetec
Zoom Zoom

:nutsycuck : : I LOVE MY JOB py:
Old 26-08-2005, 07:14 AM   #11
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet_zetec
does anyone here want to head out to bathurst for this event? might be interested in doing a day trip to see the new Team FocusRS
Yes, might have to start another club event thread here Todd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
So anyone interested in staying o/night, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
That could work well if theres a couple of us going! I'd be interested.

Its good that Ford have some news, not so long ago the press was wondering if anything was happening! Thanks for posting it, JR.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 10:42 AM   #12
Talldude

anone got a pic of these cars?

would like to know if they have there own special paintjobs or a new design for Oz.
Talldude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 03:10 PM   #13
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Here is a sketch they released earlier this year, and also the teams driver Michael Guest...

That is a road car behind him.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post