Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2005, 10:30 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Explorer for $299 a month.

The Best Explorer Ever

In case you haven't heard, Ford Explorer, the best-selling SUV 14-years and counting,* has been dramatically redesigned for 2006. It's the quietest Explorer ever with all-new interiors, all-new seating and the most seating configurations in its class** It's also has an available V8 that's more powerful and uses less fuel.

The Best Explorer Ever also has the most standard safety features of any mid-size SUV,** including AdvanceTracŪ with first-in-class Roll Stability Control (RSCŪ), new, class-exclusive*** Intelligent Safety System and class-exclusive adaptive safety technologies which allow for enhanced occupant protection. In fact, the new Explorer meets all known U.S. Government frontal and side impact crash requirements through the 2010 model year.

And now, on top of all that, the best Explorer ever now comes with this amazing $299 per month lease offer for a well-equipped XLT. Use any one of the convenient links below to find out where you can take advantage of this great offer.

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 10:54 AM   #2
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

And isnt available here.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 11:13 AM   #3
jspec_sti

There's not a great deal wrong with the current one... Shame we won't see the new ones here.
jspec_sti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 11:31 PM   #4
aualright

I'm interested in trading in my AU XR8 and getting a V8 Explorer for an expanding family - the current model 2nd hand is great value. I've read varying opinions from the "the best ride bar the X5" to total contradictions in Wheels.

Independent rear suspension makes it a better ride than Prados, etc (I think that's still the case) and the interior looks great. Not too concerned about off road - the look, size and ride are what I'm looking for.

Do you see much negative about the car (except the poor sales) - seems a bargain to me..?
aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 11:34 PM   #5
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

and god doesnt the 8 drink....

Expect some energetic city driving to get you around 330ks to a tank!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2005, 01:27 AM   #6
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the Explorers only let down i think is off-road, it seems to cruise nicely in town, very comfortable, practical and affordable. Should do better off-road than a Territory, if you were to think about going off-road, definately get some All Terrain tyres at least. Explorers got a worse reputation than it should have with the Firestone tyres issue... Don't judge the whole car based on tyres. Should be ok on fuel 15L per 100 avg -(a lot less than the LC100 and Patrol 4.8)
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2005, 10:25 AM   #7
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I posted this because I get annoyed at how ripped off we are on car prices, in Australia. I know its the exchange rate, taxes etc. But if car deals like that were available here, the rust buckets on the road, would be off the road. Plus get rid of ricers!!!!
Another example of being ripped off, Harleys are over 50% cheaper Stateside, than here. That cann't be the exchange rate etc.
New BF nearly here.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2005, 10:52 AM   #8
jspec_sti

From my experience, the current model Explorer is a very competent family orientated car.

After upgrading from a 4.0L Manual 1997 Model Explorer (the breathless OHV one!) to the current one, they are worlds apart. I think part of the problem is that the press have had it in for the Explorer from day one, and never really give it a chance.

My personal opinion is that I find the car extremely enjoyable to drive, sure it aint no XR8, but the 4.6L V8 goes all right and once it winds up the Explorer is surprisingly quick. Highway overtaking is a snap. As Laminge said, it loves a drink of petrol, but it's a fun way to use it.

The handling is quite sedan like, and the ride soft and comfortable. The key to me is that after a long drive you get out of the car and don't feel the k's you have travelled.

There is also plenty of room for the whole family and any luggage, etc you might want to carry. A huge selling point for my wife and I also was the standard curtain airbags - you can never put a price on safety.

It also easily tows my wife's tri-axle horse float with 2 nags on board with ease - she reckons she doesn't even know the float is attached!

Extreme Off road I can't really comment on, because I didn't buy it for that, and have no desire to bash it around the bush. But one thing to remember is that because of the car's North American origins, it is more tuned toward ice/slippery roads rather than bush/fire trails. Having said that, when the rains starts pelting down, or you drive down roads renowned for "black ice", it's re-assuring to know you are in a vehicle with a better chance of dealing with than the average car.

Overall, my wife and I am extermely happy with the car. My recommendation would be to take one for a Test Drive and form your opinions from there.

You might also want to try the American magazine website like caranddriver.com who have a great deal of information.
jspec_sti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2005, 12:37 PM   #9
Paxton
Cobblers!

Ford's excuse for not bringing it here is because it is not available in Right Hand Drive. The truth is that The Territory is and was wiping the floor with it in terms of sale and value for money. I have not driven one, however they always seem like a typical American SUV, with soft seats, soft suspension, however a car that is very capable off road.

I am happy with what a Territory offers, however if one didn't exist, it would have been a toss up between one of them and an XR6 Turbo.

-Andrew
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2005, 01:22 PM   #10
aualright

Great feedback....can't see much argument for not getting one except petrol prices, of which I'm accustomed to with the XR8.

It looks like my only decision left is whether to get a new or used one.

Bladexr8 - have you found any niggly issues. I know with my AU that the rubbing of the handbrake housing on the disc is probably the only annoying problem (same thing occurs on my AU3 ute). The squeaking can be embarrassing sometimes - I'd rather people gawk at me due to the sweet-sounding V8 than the squeaky wheel..! At least it is intermittent, I guess.

From what i seen, the cabin quality finish is better than my Falcons and am curious if the rest of the build quality is better as well.
aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post