Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-11-2005, 09:45 AM   #1
whippet_zetec
Supes

Exclamation ETHANOL FUELS - FOCUS Warning

Ford All petrol engine vehicles since 1986 will operate satisfactorily on E10 except as listed below.

The following models may not operate satisfactorily on E10 fuel because of drivability concerns:
Focus (2002 - 2004),
F-series (1986-1992), Ka (All), Maverick (1988-1993), Mondeo (All), Transit (1996 - 2004).

The following models do not operate satisfactorily on E10 fuel:
Capri (1989-1994), Courier 2.0L & 2.6L (All), Econovan (pre-2002), Festiva (All), Laser 1.3L, 1.5L & 1.6L (All), Raider (All), Telstar (All).

http://www.fcai.com.au/ethanol.php/2.../00000001.html

Old 18-11-2005, 02:48 PM   #2
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Yea.... the new Shell Extreme has Ethanol, but its only E5, so the benefit of the extra octane could still help.....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

But the extra octane won't help unless you're tuned for it, or have a knock sensor, and I don't think the Focus has a knock sensor
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #4
whippet_zetec
Supes

nope...pretty sure the LR Focus does not have a knock sensor.
Old 19-11-2005, 02:54 AM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

It has a knock sensor but is not tuned to advance timing beyond the 95 RON tune on LR I believe, it will only retard it if a lower grade fuel is used. Fiesta however will advance timing to suit higher grade fuel AFAIK.

It is only warned on Focus, anyone is welcome to try it and see, I might try it out one day. I've never even used Optimax. ALWAYS used only 95 RON and as soon as Caltex Vortex 98 is available in Melb, I'll switch to it (Caltex Fuel card user).
Old 22-11-2005, 01:42 AM   #6
used

so optimax got ethanol? damn n i work @ shell (the servo) n i didn't even know that,....
but anyway guess i wont b filling up at work den....

so any other suggestion?
i put vortex in once n result is no power.... 95ron i think it is... i find it slower to rev.. less power etc. n i drive on springvale road alot . So i need da power to take over trucks and slow cars...
used is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 09:27 AM   #7
8pAc
RDP #181

optimax extreme 100 ron i think is what he was referring to having ethanol
Camrys like most Toyotas have always been ugly, poorly equiped & brain crushingly dull but that's what a lot of people look for in a car unfortunately. I like my fridge, it keeps my beer cold other people like them so much they want to drive them it seems.
8pAc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 01:02 PM   #8
whippet_zetec
Supes

yep, think its only the 100RON that has Ethanol in it, not the standard optimax (or so I beleive)
Old 22-11-2005, 04:24 PM   #9
Mess

I understand the LS Focus can advance as the various reviews state that you can get better power from higher octane...whether the benefits are worthwhile is another matter.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 06:09 PM   #10
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Well.... ive just tried out Extreme.... gave the car a hard working. It seems to love it, going into redline with no dramas....

Hopefully ill see how economy goes and how this tank goes and then decide whether to stick with Ultimate or switch......

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 22-11-2005, 08:14 PM   #11
whippet_zetec
Supes

Teki,
what was the price per litre cost and the difference between 98 Optimax?
Old 22-11-2005, 10:43 PM   #12
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

120.5 for extreme...... and im not sure about the Optimax.... didnt check. But regular ULP was 107.9.... usually optimax is 9-10 cents dearer..... meaning its about 3-4 cents more?

Old 08-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #13
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to Thread mine (Saved me starting a new thread)

But has anyone disregarded the FCAI advice and ran their Focus on E10?

Alternatively, has anyone found a E5 95 RON ULP?

What would be the worst case scenario if i was to give it a run for a month as a trial? Heard Fuel lines/pumps/tank could be an issue?

Or is it more engine internal's?

Anyway, any food for thought appreciated

Cheers
Marty
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 09:42 PM   #14
amlohac

i ran mine on E10 from one of those El CHeapo servos (needed fuel real bad) The car ran like a peice of despite the fact the fuel pump stated it was 98 ron. I use octane booster in my car with optimax and it works bloody well
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 12:03 AM   #15
Mick K.

Any more Focus ethanol experience? The Qld govt recently announced it will be mandatory in all petrol in the near future.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 01:11 AM   #16
amlohac

Qld Govt states that the mandatory level will be e5 so you have no worries there.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 09:28 AM   #17
FRA
Mr Focus

My 2003 CL sedan hates it, I would fill it right up and when I would go to work and back home the fuel would drop to 3/4 just like that.
Our 2005 CL loved it for some reason, it would give it more power but, my 2003 doesn't need any extra power.
We don't use ETHANOL anymore.
Mobil has the best fuel.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #18
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes I have a 3 month old LS Focus Zetec and it has ALWAYS had E10 95 RON from united.

Absolutely NO problems whatsoever.

I get over 600Km per tank and pay 4c / litre less than 91 RON...

But no problems with this brew for over 10,000 Km now
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post