Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 23-01-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Default Sending SMS's

Hi Guys & Gals, I'm not new to sending SMS's but i'm damn slow at it! I can type quick on a keyboard but on a phone... no. Takes me ages to write a simple sms. The people i SMS seen to reply REALLY quick! It's frustrating to know they are much quicker, is there a easier way to send them than typing it in the phone? (i have a Sony K750)

Anyone else have this problem? Surely i'm not the only one! e

Old 23-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

maybe practice typing sms while on the freeway, will soon have you typing nice and quick before you run up the a$$ of someone haha yeah that was lame

i find these phones arent made for guys fingers, in a hurry i always hit 2 buttons at once
Old 23-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #3
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are with Telstra MobileNet they have a Online sms service called webnotes all the information about it is on the Telstra site, you actually type your message through the computer and the cost (which is normal sms rates) is billed to your mobile, not very good if your not near your computer but great for fumble fingers like me..... i always go past the letter i want at least twice : (not sure but other service providers may offer this as well)
Lissa the female half of rob_liss
Old 23-01-2006, 08:55 PM   #4
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Do you use predictive or normal input?
Old 23-01-2006, 09:06 PM   #5
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14A-Mclaren
Do you use predictive or normal input?
predictive, and i always use the full word, i hate using things like m8 and 2day.
Old 23-01-2006, 09:09 PM   #6
XW_GS
Paulie

why use phat instead of fat.....extra letter....go figure lol

My Website
www.freewebs.com/xwgs

:disco:

302 XWGS FAIRMONT C10 9" :
302 XW FAIRMONT 4 SP 9" :

Fact: an XW had a shaker before any XY did...... :Up_to_som

Should a 302 Cleveland really be called a 302 Geelong?? No 302's with a Cleveland block where built in Cleveland
Old 23-01-2006, 09:15 PM   #7
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Its all in the thumbs mate, you'll get there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 23-01-2006, 09:29 PM   #8
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you do it often enough it will become natural to you. Same as the computer. One day I was typing and said "Wow I can touch type!" Some phones you can hook up a mini keyboard. So might be worth a look but I doubt the keys would be much bigger than that on the handset.
Old 23-01-2006, 09:40 PM   #9
FordFan86
meow

I'm sure D4V3 (Ghia5L) will be able to shed some light on this topic. He is a complete nut on the smsz0ring.
One handed, not even watching it, typing almost as fast as I can on the keyboard :s
Old 23-01-2006, 09:41 PM   #10
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_liss_lms10
If you are with Telstra MobileNet they have a Online sms service called webnotes
Thanks, ill certainly check this out!
Old 23-01-2006, 09:59 PM   #11
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au^ute
Thanks, ill certainly check this out!
The Telstra service may be good at home but it's a bit hard to drag along the tower and monitor on the train/tram/bus to and from work etc : . Basically most ppl have the same problem so it is just practice practice practice. : Just like music lessons. :
Old 23-01-2006, 10:15 PM   #12
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by au^ute
predictive, and i always use the full word, i hate using things like m8 and 2day.
Predictive test ИИИИs me to tears. It takes me twice as long to write what I want to say, and never gives me the right words. Not even anything CLOSE to the right words.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Old 23-01-2006, 11:21 PM   #13
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
Predictive test ИИИИs me to tears. It takes me twice as long to write what I want to say, and never gives me the right words. Not even anything CLOSE to the right words.
well maybe this is my problem. what is the best to use? nokia phones i was a bit quicker, this sony is alot different to type these messages. oh yeah, i'm not buying a nokia, this phone cost me enough!
Old 23-01-2006, 11:26 PM   #14
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

predictive text is my GOD! Its really quite easy to get ahold of if you use it often enough, learning which words come up when, like if "if" or "he" comes up... Im the same as Ghia5L, one handed (thumb only, other fingers get in the way), not looking

last month i sent 850+... Optus loved me when it came time to pay im sure :( but i was chasing a girl, so i put it down to that...
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
Old 23-01-2006, 11:38 PM   #15
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawsterfobik
but i was chasing a girl, so i put it down to that...
That's a lot of chasing! Hope it paid off for you mate :
Old 23-01-2006, 11:55 PM   #16
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
last month i sent 850+... Optus loved me when it came time to pay im sure :( but i was chasing a girl, so i put it down to that...
You sure notice your expenses go through the roof when a chick is around. I remember a while back I was spending $30/pw instead of the usual $30/6 months lol. Too bad It didn't pay off just led to all this s**t blah.

Anyways back on topic. I hate the traditional predictive input which is sort of a built in dictionary. My Motorola has this sort of learning input which remembers the words I use commonly and will only activate after a pause. Very helpful at times but I still prefer to type it out.
Old 24-01-2006, 12:02 AM   #17
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Im with you mitch i have a V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 24-01-2006, 04:00 AM   #18
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

no it didnt :(

my old ericsson learnt what i used most, but my new nokia doesnt... damn things.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
Old 24-01-2006, 06:22 AM   #19
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

i hate predictive text i learnt to sms without it and it just ИИИИs me to no end gives me the wrong words, doesn't contain swear words and is so damn confusing as each phone changing the variant the words in different ways
Old 24-01-2006, 09:22 AM   #20
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
my old ericsson learnt what i used most, but my new nokia doesnt... damn things.
That's exactly the same with me. I miss my T610 :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Old 24-01-2006, 09:48 AM   #21
EA2BA
PM me if you want

on my Nokia, i went to write Merry Xmas and it predicts Merry Wobs ........... lmao

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
Old 24-01-2006, 11:19 AM   #22
Mk II

when i used to use predictive text i could spell a word into my nokias dictionary and it would remember it, that was good, but i still hated texting.
as they say, where there is a will there is a way, so i went and got myself a nokia that had a built in keyboard. u simply flip the numbers over the top of the screen and you have half the keyboard on one side and half on the other.
this is a very expensive way to solving the texting problem though, but isnt it good when your parents own a telstra shop _2:
Old 24-01-2006, 11:56 AM   #23
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Geese! everyone in here sounds old or something

Ever heard of dictionary.. for example on my Nokia (Always owned Nokia's but almost every other brand has dictionary too) I can do this

hit the keys with the letter I hit this once and G pops up.. hit another key to change the dictionary entry till its I.. ok so you dont save time with one letter but say i want to type "type"

I hit the keys 8973 these contain the letters for type. instead of typing twpd dictionary knows what you mean and puts type there

for the words "Them" and "Then" i'd hit 8436.. M and N are on the same number button so at first (on my phone.. other phones may do different order) "them" pops up.. I hit hte dictionary change key and it changes through dictionary entrys and goes to "then"

I know this sounds complicated but I hope you understand!!! you get used to it very fast. I can type a 3 paragraph text message in about 10 seconds if i really wanted to.

then again im still pretty fast with the old style non dictionary typing

e.g for the word them 8 one time 4 twice 3 twice then 6

anyway I've said enough
Old 24-01-2006, 11:57 AM   #24
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Ok maybe Im just a technology junkie... did i mention i type a certified 100wpm at 100 percent accuracy so NO OFFENSE when I said your all old
Old 24-01-2006, 01:15 PM   #25
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot
Geese! everyone in here sounds old or something
Nope i'm not old. How old are you 9.. 10?

Quote:
anyway I've said enough
Yes you have. Just because i'm not happy with my SMSing skills, it doesn't make me or anyone else a retard, which is the impression i got from your post. I'm well aware of how sms works, and what to press. I'm sure judging by your maturity that i've been using moble phones longer than you have.

Quote:
did i mention i type a certified 100wpm at 100 percent accuracy
LOL, nobody has 100% accuracy all the time. I'd very much like to see proof, if you can't provide that, might do you some good to stop trying to offend people here.
Old 24-01-2006, 01:21 PM   #26
lou_focus
Starter Motor

hey hey hey, i cant really talk bout it i spose, thort i better just say im pretty quick at it, but i text ALL the time, so practice is the key, but it costs heaps anyway, quicker and in the long run cheaper to call, or pay for internet & use msn!! oh and by the way, i am a receptionist and a pretty quick typer, i highly doubt anyone could ever have 100wpm and 100% accuracy!
Old 24-01-2006, 01:29 PM   #27
max^power
Formerly au^ute

it's easy to say anything, i could say i have 900wpm with 110% accuracy!! when ppl talk BS like this it eventually catches up with them.
Old 24-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #28
lou_focus
Starter Motor

so very tru
Old 24-01-2006, 01:37 PM   #29
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Sweet,

Thats what I get for trying to help you out. How did i try and offend you? If you have being using mobile phones longer than I have don't put up stupid posts asking for advice and then when you get advice about dictionary flame me for it!

If you'd really like a certificate (you only have to type at 100wpm ONCE with 100 percent accuracy to get the cert. I didnt say I never make mistakes!) I could give you one.. I think that would be pointless though

and mate, if you can't text and your not going to take my advice about dictionary (I WAS trying to help odviously, or I wouldn't of bothered typing all that and testing it out on my phone etc) go to

www.intazaar.com.au

you can sign up and send free sms when ever you like.. up to 30 a day. has a phonebook feature etc.
Old 24-01-2006, 01:39 PM   #30
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

OH and by old I meant as in old people can't text well (no offense, but my parents suck at it)
Closed Thread