Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 19-02-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Default gasket maybe?

Ok, not a happy camper and need some advice...

Last month my rocker cover gasket gave up on me, no biggie, I replaced it myself, cleaned the head back, ensured all bits of old gasket where gone etc etc and hey presto no more leaks, and a slightly healthier sounding engine bay...

Anyways, I popped the bonnet this evening and closed it again in disgust. It appears that there is oil leaking down the front (RHS - passenger) side of the block, it also happens to be leaking onto the starter motor. More interesting enough its not leaking enough atm to actually be hitting the ground, so I haven't lost that much oil, yet.

On closer inspection, it is not leaking from the rocker cover, infact there is no oil on top of the headers, however there is some below where the headers bolt to the block.

So my question is, what the hell is wrong? Car runs smooth, dosen't appear to be sucking up much water, slight increase in engine noise, no smoke from exhaust, no change in fuel economy, what could it be, the rocker cover gasket has no oil seeping from it anywhere, is it possibly from the head gasket? or is it something more sinister (not that a head gasket isnt sinister enough)?

For reference -

1997 EL GLi Falcon
4 Speed Auto
149 970 on the clock
I6 4.0L

ALL HELP Greatly Appreciated!

Lowered all round on King Spring Super Lows
Tinted Windows, Pioneer MP3 Player and Audio System
K&N High Flow Air Filter Mounted in Original Air Box
Trip Computer
NGK Sports Performance Leads
NGK Sports Plugs
Autotecnica Oil Catch Can
GenesiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 09:03 PM   #2
BoZZa17
Lovin the Manual.

i dont see how oil would come out thru the headgasket externally before water would..

so i have no idea where it could be coming from? lol
BoZZa17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #3
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you sure it's not comeing from the front a blowing down that way,,i've had that happen.
Old 19-02-2006, 11:07 PM   #4
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

um it might be the front left hand side of the head ,not the head gasket but the gasket at the front or chain tenstioner
TUNED BY JEM
TURBO_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 11:35 PM   #5
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDMONTY
um it might be the front left hand side of the head ,not the head gasket but the gasket at the front or chain tenstioner
I took it down to the wash before, (a)for some decent light and (b) to have a closer inspection and see if I could follow the oil trail.

I was also confused as to how oil would becoming through the head gasket before water, but figured it may just be "one of those things" that e-serise do

Anyway, looks like it may be coming from the tensinor, not sure, wont no till i get the shield off and have a nice close inspection tomorrow arvo...

Although in the mean time if anyone else has had this problem, or similar feel free to reply... like I said all help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Jono

PS to add to my mood, when I was at the wash I found a nice dint some dick left me with a trolly while I was at work today, a$$holes!
Lowered all round on King Spring Super Lows
Tinted Windows, Pioneer MP3 Player and Audio System
K&N High Flow Air Filter Mounted in Original Air Box
Trip Computer
NGK Sports Performance Leads
NGK Sports Plugs
Autotecnica Oil Catch Can
GenesiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post