Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-03-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
XR8putts

Default GTHO exists?

Yes another GTHO rumour thread. But this ones different.

I have a mate who informs me that FPV/Ford/factory makes GTHOs, late model ones too (BA/BF). I informed him that they stopped making them around the 1970s and the rest and that I follow Ford/FPV balh blah blah. But no, he has driven not one, but two of these GTHOs! And he insists they're built by FPV. He showed me a pic on his phone and it looked like a BA GT with a different spoiler and some (GTHO?) stickers, maybe an exhaust. I told him the guy did it himself or whatever.

No we must all be stupid for not knowing this. Now I've had a bet with him for $50 that he is wrong and plain stupid. Since the bet he told us he did 110kp/h in an Aston Martin on Princess Wharf in under 300 meters.. I won't say anymore. :

What I ask of all you fine folk, is in a paragraph tell this guy whether or not what he saw/drove/imagined actually is an FPV/Ford GTHO or if I am wrong. I'll be emailing him a link to this thread so express yourselfs
Might even print of the thread because I know what to expect.

And pease no smart ИИИИ V10 GTHO remarks!

XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 03:31 PM   #2
xwgthoe

ford/fpv have not got the legal naming rights for GTHO (or HO more to the point) as they say in the movie "The Castle" tell him he's dreamin' sleep:
xwgthoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lets hope you escape abuse, any thread with gtho in it someone gets toasted. I think your mate is mixing dreams and reality, but than again how many people knew of rpo83's?
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #4
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
Yes another GTHO rumour thread. But this ones different.

I have a mate who informs me that FPV/Ford/factory makes GTHOs, late model ones too (BA/BF). I informed him that they stopped making them around the 1970s and the rest and that I follow Ford/FPV balh blah blah. But no, he has driven not one, but two of these GTHOs! And he insists they're built by FPV. He showed me a pic on his phone and it looked like a BA GT with a different spoiler and some (GTHO?) stickers, maybe an exhaust. I told him the guy did it himself or whatever.

No we must all be stupid for not knowing this. Now I've had a bet with him for $50 that he is wrong and plain stupid. Since the bet he told us he did 110kp/h in an Aston Martin on Princess Wharf in under 300 meters.. I won't say anymore. :

What I ask of all you fine folk, is in a paragraph tell this guy whether or not what he saw/drove/imagined actually is an FPV/Ford GTHO or if I am wrong. I'll be emailing him a link to this thread so express yourselfs
Might even print of the thread because I know what to expect.

I have seen a black BA XR8 around the Hampton area (vic) that has a different body kit and rims and they guy has put GTHO stickers on the bonet bulge. Also I think it has one of those shakers on it too. However it is nothing more than a hotted up XR8.
Could be the one he saw???
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwgthoe
ford/fpv have not got the legal naming rights for GTHO (or HO more to the point) as they say in the movie "The Castle" tell him he's dreamin' sleep:
: You can't "Own" the rights to the leters G T H or O.... they're generic, you can trademark a word or phrase, but not letters.
G.T.H.O is mearly a combination of letters, its neither a word or phrase.

Old 17-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #6
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
I have no idea where Princess Wharf is, but im sure that most cars could peg 110kmh in 300m, esp seeing that i can get to 150kmh in 400m. (as could 90% of the cars on this site)

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
gtfpv
GT

Dreams Are Funny Things . But When You Cant Tell The Differance Between Them And Reality Anymore . Its Time To Get Help . Or Make A Quid Off This Guy By Betting With Him . Sorry Caps.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #8
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Probly just some guy with a BA GT with a new exhaust and Stickers.
FPV8U is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #9
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Could have been a FPV that has been HO enhanced. There is a company called HO Interceptor, maybe this is what ya fella means

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 04:51 PM   #10
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Soudns more like a DJR 320 with new decals
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #11
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

There is no BA-BF GTHO.. never were.. IMHO. It made no sense.. Ford was flat out with getting the BA right. There was no time or money for a GTHO..

GTHO stickers on the other hand exist everywhere...

However judging from GP said before he left, I wouldn't be suprised if Ford didn't seriously concider a GTHO for Orion.

Honestly I would be suprised if Orion didn't usher in a higher performing vechical above GT/GT-P/F6. I doubt it would be called GTHO, but would definately evoke simular emotions and feelings.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 05:15 PM   #12
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
I have no idea where Princess Wharf is, but im sure that most cars could peg 110kmh in 300m, esp seeing that i can get to 150kmh in 400m. (as could 90% of the cars on this site)
And STOP? (Before the splash)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 05:20 PM   #13
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
: You can't "Own" the rights to the leters G T H or O.... they're generic, you can trademark a word or phrase, but not letters.
G.T.H.O is mearly a combination of letters, its neither a word or phrase.
BA/BF FPV GTHO? N.F.W. IMHO.

Can't trademark letters? Don't tell KFC, DKNY, ИИИИ....
Ford trademarked "GT 40", but they sold it after they stopped building the original cars decades ago. Thats why they had to call the new variant the "Ford GT", they did not own the rights to display the "GT 40" wording on a car.
Same as Holden own the rights to "Interceptor," believe it or not.
Old 17-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry 351
BA/BF FPV GTHO? N.F.W. IMHO.

Can't trademark letters? Don't tell KFC, DKNY, ИИИИ....
Ford trademarked "GT 40", but they sold it after they stopped building the original cars decades ago. Thats why they had to call the new variant the "Ford GT", they did not own the rights to display the "GT 40" wording on a car.
Same as Holden own the rights to "Interceptor," believe it or not.
Ok, KFC stands for Kentucky Fried Chicken, its the image of the actual logo of "KFC" that's trade marked, not the actual letters, you'll notice that the KFC logo is universally the same, like the golden arches "M" for McDonalds.
You could have a restaurant called Michaels and as long as the logo didnt look like the McDonalds logo i bet you could display an M out the front and McDonalds couldnt do a thing.
Look at GT for example, who owns the rights to display GT on their cars? how many car companies have a GT model?! Plenty.. :Reverend:

Old 17-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #15
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

i know for a afct there is no patient or copyright on the super roo logo as we went through this with FORD years ago ,also you cant use Ford as part of you name it has to stand alone

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 06:28 PM   #16
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
HOW dare you ruin my fun !
Old 17-03-2006, 06:49 PM   #17
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

I spend most of my week in a truck, out on the road. A while ago I watched a red BA (could have been BF, I only saw the passenger side and the rear) GT-something-or-other overtake us as we were coming down the city-side of the Bolte Bridge.

It was red, had two (black or white...? can't remember... white, maybe...) Cobra-style stripes from front to back (which looked ИИИИhouse, by the way), an exhaust note like a tortured soul (this nearly gave me a hard-on before I'd even spotted the car come from beside the truck) screaming through quad pipes, the darkest of tints the whole way round, and a little badge on the back between the bootlid and the drivers-side taillight that said "GT" with "HO" underneath that and something else written underneath that. I didn't see what was underneath the "HO" because I quickly scanned the rest of the car as much as possible as it tore off down the freeway.

The driver (another huge Ford man) and myself discussed it for a bit, with me deciding the owner must have had it all done himself, and Dougie settling on the idea that it could be a concept or something. I still reckon it was a personal customisation thing, though.

I never bothered to post about it up here though because then it just becomes another "Oh, I saw a BA GTHO, must have been the new V10" thread, and I couldn't be assed with that, especially seeing as I didn't take a photo or anything. Plus, being that I stand by my claim that it's probably a one-off, built purely by this guy's wallet, it doesn't really stand out as being that special in my eyes.

The GTHO badge did look really good though. It wasn't big, but Christ, it certainly caught my attention.

Oh, and there was some stupid sticker across the rear windscreen, but I don't remember what it said.

Anyway, believe what you will.

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 07:00 PM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Think about it logically, why would FPV drive a concept vehicle around WITH its GTHO badges on it seeing they deny it exists... and if it did exist they surely wouldnt be stupid enough to drive it around WITH the badges on and blow its secrecy... like DUH!!!!
Customised GT's are everywhere, including stupid badging.

Old 17-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #19
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Think about it logically, why would FPV drive a concept vehicle around WITH its GTHO badges on it seeing they deny it exists and if it did they'd want to keep it a secret???!!!
Customised GT's are everywhere, including stupid badging.
**Imitates voice of Apu** Thank you, come again.

Old 17-03-2006, 07:05 PM   #20
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz
The GTHO badge did look really good though. It wasn't big, but Christ, it certainly caught my attention.
The badge didn't look anything like this?
Old 17-03-2006, 07:07 PM   #21
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Geez, watch out, apparently someone owns the rights to those letters so the company that does those upgrades must be pooing their pants about a law suit!!! :hihi:

Old 17-03-2006, 07:12 PM   #22
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I wonder if well see one selling on ebay with a one million reserve :
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #23
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We had two 'XT HO' BA's at my work when the BA first came out, with badges like those posted above, but all they were were a couple of BA XT I6's with retrimmed interiors, herrod exhausts, CAI, and i think a chip.... both pretty 'gimicky' took us ages to sell em too, i still em gettin around, a red one, with a dodgy aftermarket gt style front bumper, and bonnet bulge... and i white one dropped on its *** with a set of simmons FR's.....
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 07:22 PM   #24
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
I wonder if well see one selling on ebay with a one million reserve :

Why would that not surprise me.... Its just a matter of time before some fool chucks on a GTHO badge from somewhere (prolly rip it off a genuine one too!) and sells it as a 1 of a kind!
Old 17-03-2006, 07:23 PM   #25
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Nope...

Old 17-03-2006, 08:29 PM   #26
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

i have seen a few xt's and xr's with that exact badge ^ ^ ^ .

does that badge just mean, they are slightly more optioned or something?
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 09:43 PM   #27
Falchoon

A couple of years ago when I went for a tour through FPV there was a "GTHO" badge on one of the workbenches in the same design/font as BA GT badge lettering. Could of just been one of the workers knocked something up in his lunch hour or....

I'm sure BA/BF GTHO has been discussed at Ford/FPV and for a variety of reasons it has been knocked on the head. Lets hope GTHO name stays resting. If they want to do a hi-po GT then call it something else like a GT-R, GT-S or a Sprint, just call it anything except a GTHO.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 09:49 PM   #28
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You need to ask yourself the following questions: how would your friend have access to it, if it existed.

And additionally, why would your friend be driving an AM like that, and how would an AM fit into the equation - nothing Ford Australia has any bearing on what AM produces, they share no componenets, and have a different strategy to market.

Sounds like he's full of it. The engineers, bean counters and management, who are involved on such projects, if they existed, are very tight lipped. The type of person that they employ wouldnt be the type to go bragging to their mates about that they drive.

In reality, your mate lies to feel popular. Stop giving him so much attention.

No doubt he'll say he's a test driver or something, but in reality, most of the test drivers spend their time trying to determine which damper and spring package is best suited to the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falchoon
just call it anything except a GTHO.
Dead right there, last thing FPV needs is another GT clone that is nonperforming and unfaithful to the original.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #29
nb_351
building the xe...

i honestly think they should do another sprint... with the gt engine, in a xt or similar... leave the ho for now... it will never live up to everyones standards, and will always be criticised...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 10:18 PM   #30
Dav0
"Saddam your sooo emo"-JH

Quote:
He showed me a pic on his phone and it looked like a BA GT with a different spoiler and some (GTHO?) stickers, maybe an exhaust. I told him the guy did it himself or whatever.
can you get a copy of this "photo"??
Dav0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post