Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-07-2006, 01:15 AM   #1
XRchic
Hello

Default August Motor: VXR Astra and XR5 Focus doing mid 13s???

We just noticed in August Motor, in the road test of the VXR Astra and the XR5 Focus (Fast Facts summary section) some strange times... as follows:

Astra: 0-100 5.29
0-400 13.42 @ 176.8kmh

Focus: 0-100 5.41
0-400 13.52 @ 174.9kmh

We havent read the article that thoroughly at this point, we have to admit. But just looking at these figures... does anyone else think this is strange?

Wheels did a road test a few issues back and the XR5 ran a 15.5 0-400. That sounds more reasonable.

I have to say, whether this is a mistake or just bad methods of timing, I am getting quite over the whole auto mag times... they are losing credibility, either because they cant drive the things, get rubbish slow times or they measure it differently or now it seems they may have just misprinted them!

Edit: it says in the actual article that the Astra did 6.7 0-100 and 14.75 0-400 and the Focus did 7.5 0-100 and 15.38 0-400....

So Motor are just unprofessional in their magazine production then...

Beware everyone, dont take the times in their summaries too seriously, you had better read the whole thing very carefully if you want to get something semi accurate with regard to times!

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 01:18 AM   #2
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep they stuffed up the figues... iirc the XR5 did a 15.3
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 01:21 AM   #3
XRated
Shoot.

That's ****-poor by such a large production magazine. I'm a little disappointed in the times of the XR5 though :(

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 01:28 AM   #4
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
That's ****-poor by such a large production magazine. I'm a little disappointed in the times of the XR5 though :(
I would be down to FWD im guessing.. can't be easy to get traction.
Old 14-07-2006, 01:35 AM   #5
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
You're not the only one. And I'm dissappointed in its result.

My mate works for HSV Marketing, and therefore tags along to any comparo where HSV lend MOTOR or WHEELS a car (He's the other guy in the pic where Morley walks into the fish and chip shop and the VXR and XR5 are there).

He rang me when he was on the way there that day to tell me that he'd been in the XR5, and was doing a comparo with David Morley. When I asked him about how much better the VXR really was in an honest opinion, he said: "The VXR is noticably quicker and better handler" where the XR5 seems like its wanting more. Its more warm than HOT.

And My mate isn't biased because he works for Crenno's Clayton mob, He drives a WRX and Is a Ford fan. THAT was his honest opinion having sat in on this comparo and driven both for the story.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 01:38 AM   #6
GT-P 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
Yep they stuffed up the figues... iirc the XR5 did a 15.3
Hope your right. I couldn't handle the humiliation of the Mrs lining up the P and blowing me away.

BANKRUPT I - 2005 BAII GT-P Manual, Velocity, Herrod Extractors and Cats, Xtreme 1300kg Ceramic Clutch and Lightened Flywheel, Bluepower CAI, Herrod Suresix Shifter, John Bowe S/S Signature Series Exhaust, King Springs (Race Series), Bilstein Sport Shocks and 30mm Whiteline adjustable front sway-bay, 3.7 gears.

FPV/Tickford Owners Club of W.A. Member.
GT-P 390 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 02:26 AM   #7
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-P 390
Hope your right. I couldn't handle the humiliation of the Mrs lining up the P and blowing me away.
Didnt one of the mags have the GT doing 14.8 or something like that? Hahaha. Thats the time that MY lowly NA 6 gets!!! ROFL!

But with these times published like that, I wonder about the editing....

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 03:27 AM   #8
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watch the Top gear review of the XR5 and the VXR.
XR5 is a much better car.

Its kind of like the Clubby vs GT, the HSV is quicker and more on edge, but the GT is a better car overall.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 08:42 AM   #9
blackahcdx

I was surprised to see the HSV win, and to think that the car they drove wasn't a final Aussie production spec.

Although their times seem to be about 1/2 a second off what other mags have got
blackahcdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #10
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was the Astra the Holden version or the HSV version?
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 08:53 AM   #11
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

HSV version, the normal Astra version is 147kw and 34,990 IIRC
Old 14-07-2006, 08:57 AM   #12
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

I'd check out the Top gear videos of the Astra and focus if you want to get a better idea of which car is better and why. Its plainly obvious that the Astra is the more powerful and therefore faster car, but Jeremy Clarkson was VERY impressed with the handling in the Focus.

I guess i'll go and try to find the vids now...

Edit: Here's the video for the Focus XR5 (The Brits call it the ST) :
I can't find the Astra video at the moment, but Jeremy does mention it in this video anyway.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WIJ3dZ-Ou...2%20focus%20st
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:

Last edited by SunDrifter; 14-07-2006 at 09:11 AM.
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 08:57 AM   #13
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyB
HSV version, the normal Astra version is 147kw and 34,990 IIRC
Ahh OK, no worries, I even thought 14.7 was a bit odd as I thought it was the Holden version. 14.7 is damn quick for a factory stock FWD hatch. Bye bye VW golf.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Old 14-07-2006, 09:27 AM   #14
MRJUCY
Fordless

Every comparo I've read from Europe has basically said the Astra is fast but pretty much undriveable garbage & all have had huge praise for the Focus but I'm not surprised much of the Australian motoring media see things differently.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #15
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Every comparo I've read from Europe has basically said the Astra is fast but pretty much undriveable garbage
Thats what I thought As well. But reading the MOTOR article, and from what my firend said. It wasn't the case here, They had nothing but praise for the VXR...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 10:42 AM   #16
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Motor have a habit of liking the car with more power though... even if it isnt as drivable as its competition
Old 14-07-2006, 11:31 AM   #17
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guess it depends what you want out of the car - its a perforamnce car - most people are going to want the best performance (straight line performance I'm talking here).