Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 19-07-2006, 09:10 AM   #1
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 70km/h in 100km/h = accident?

On way to work this morning came up behind two cars following a 180B doing 70km/h in 100km/h zone. First car behind (VR Commode) rounded him up first opportunity and went around .. bit too close to oncoming cars for my liking, but got thru OK. This left 180B, followed by 90s Rodeo, followed by me (SV8), followed by 80s Honda Accord

At the next passing opportunity, I checked Accord behind me, indicated, pulled out and punched the SV8. The guy in the Rodeo decided to pull out just as I approached the side of his ute. When I saw him move, I hit the brakes (I wasn't half way up his side), but the guy in the Accord behind me was so far up my clacker he almost hit me as I braked. Anyway the Rodeo driver realised I was beside him, weaved back in, so off I went .. with the Accord driver caning hell out of it to pass me too ..

All in all a bit scarey. Could have been 4-car pileup because:
1. Someone in a clapped out 180B won't do 100km/h in that speed zone on a dry, straight road.
2. Someone in a Rodeo won't look in rear vision mirrors before changing lanes
3. Someone in a Accord won't leave enough room between them and the car infront
4. Someone(?!) in an SV8 likes to punch the accelerator to pass people, who may not be aware he is one the move ..

Old 19-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #2
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look on the bright side...at least the 180b didn't speed up as everyone tried to pass it :
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 19-07-2006, 09:38 AM   #3
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Look on the bright side...at least the 180b didn't speed up as everyone tried to pass it :
I'd say it's a fair bat that the 180B could not have sped up being the POS that they are!!!
Old 19-07-2006, 09:41 AM   #4
Bax
Projecting

Yeah that kind of stuff irritates me, when you get a lineup and noone has the balls to overtake, its like they all seem happy to sit behind and do 70 until the next overtaking lane.

It's happened to me before, overtaking a car and a caravan and another caravan in a line, the second caravan decided he wanted to pull out.

And yeah, I'd say all 4 of your reasons could be right, but theres not much you could have done to avoided it.
Old 19-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
LTDHO
The one and only

A car doing 70 in a hundred zone is as likely to cause an accident as a car doing 100 in a 70 zone. Unfortunatly people will never learn and slower doesn't mean safer.

The driver of the 180B should have gone an alternative route that suits his speed.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 19-07-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cut a bit of slack for cars that struggle to reach that speed or are carrying a heavy load, but there is no excuse for brand new cars traveling 70 in a 100 zone in dry straight roads.
However, this happens all the time when I go to work in Barwon Heads (Friggen tourists "OOOoo look there is the new 13th beach golf resort lets drop down to 70", mind you there are at least 6 cars behind them, and 30+ over summer)
Last year I passed 12 cars in one go, it doesn't take long to pass when they are all goin 70!
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4
Old 19-07-2006, 12:10 PM   #7
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
A car doing 70 in a hundred zone is as likely to cause an accident as a car doing 100 in a 70 zone. Unfortunatly people will never learn and slower doesn't mean safer.

The driver of the 180B should have gone an alternative route that suits his speed.
Agree 100%...Its highly dangerous driving.

Of course there response would be that they havent had an accident in X long but, The real question is how many have they caused? Not that they would no because they only think that they are they only ones on the road.
Old 19-07-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:

Yes - well put. It may be that this is the best vehicle the driver could afford, perhaps they were inexperienced and werent comfortable doing 100. Whatever the reason - i agree that the driver should have been searching for an alternate route.

I dont know what the law says, but i tolerate people doing, say, 20% under the limit... 80 in a 100... 65 in an 80, 50 in a 60... for whatever their reasons may be. 30%? Too dangerous. Ozjav's story here being a perfect example of what happends when the flow of traffic is impeded too far!
Old 19-07-2006, 02:04 PM   #9
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

I had to double check this in the vicroads book-o-laws.

218. Using headlights on high-beam
(1) The driver of a vehicle must not use the vehicle’s headlights on high-beam, or
allow the vehicle’s headlights to be used on high-beam, if the driver is
driving—
(a) less than 200 metres behind a vehicle travelling in the same direction
as the driver; or
(b) less than 200 metres from an oncoming vehicle.
Penalty: 3 penalty units.
Note High-beam and oncoming vehicle are defined in the dictionary.
(2) However, if the driver is overtaking a vehicle, the driver may briefly switch the
headlights from low-beam to high-beam immediately before the driver begins
to overtake the vehicle.

Note Low-beam and overtake are defined in the dictionary.

So, you flick the high beams on whilst you're changing lanes, hopefully catching the Rodeo's drivers attention before passing safely. It's a funny rule, but a good one. Quite handy when passing trucks as one tried to push me off the Bolte Bridge in Melbourne a few years ago after trying to change lanes and push me under "Fast and Furious Style".
Old 19-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #10
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicklier

So, you flick the high beams on whilst you're changing lanes, hopefully catching the Rodeo's drivers attention before passing safely. It's a funny rule, but a good one. Quite handy when passing trucks as one tried to push me off the Bolte Bridge in Melbourne a few years ago after trying to change lanes and push me under "Fast and Furious Style".
Hey does anyone employ this method? I know the rule has been on the books since day 1, but have never done it myself (people have been shot for flashing high beams lol).

Never read about it in the driver's handbook. Never heard it from an instructor. Never seen anyone do it (apart from trucks etc on freeway who flash to tell each other they're passing and when they're clear etc)
Old 19-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #11
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Hey does anyone employ this method? I know the rule has been on the books since day 1, but have never done it myself (people have been shot for flashing high beams lol).

Never read about it in the driver's handbook. Never heard it from an instructor. Never seen anyone do it (apart from trucks etc on freeway who flash to tell each other they're passing and when they're clear etc)
Ive done this on occasion, but only when passing more then one vehicle, or anyone with a trailer.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 19-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #12
XRchic
Hello

Ive heard of that rule before.

Which state was the 180B in? I wouldnt have thought that old Dattos would get through roadworthies in Vic or NSW???

There is no reason why that car, in decent condition, shouldnt be able to do 100kmh anyway. I would say that, unless it was a complete POS and dying, it was the driver with the problem.

In which case they would be either too old and timid, too young/inexperienced and timid or just one of those personalities which are just timid. These sorts of people annoy me as they should not be on the road, and this is why. I dont abuse them, I just try and be patient and overtake them when possible. But they annoy me nonetheless.

I think especially young people need more training on their Ls on how to drive at those kinds of speeds - including overtaking, keeping left in multi lanes and maintaining those kinds of speeds safely. And significant hours doing it too.

: Cobra :
Old 19-07-2006, 04:30 PM   #13
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

I've heard of a little old lady calling the police to make a report because someone flashed their high beams before passing and it "intimidated her."
Old 19-07-2006, 07:28 PM   #14
HOON69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax
Yeah that kind of stuff irritates me, when you get a lineup and noone has the balls to overtake, its like they all seem happy to sit behind and do 70 until the next overtaking lane.

It's happened to me before, overtaking a car and a caravan and another caravan in a line, the second caravan decided he wanted to pull out.

And yeah, I'd say all 4 of your reasons could be right, but theres not much you could have done to avoided it.
never a truer word spoken.
they do do 100 (downhills)
:
Old 19-07-2006, 08:42 PM   #15
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

is 100km/hr the min speed limit or the max speed limit?
Old 19-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #16
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Now hang on a minute, I know it may be annoying for driver's to sit on a lower speed than indicated but we don't know their posistion and reasoning for it, and really 70klm is allright, it's up to the driver's behind to wait PATIENTLY for a safe overtaking period, there is no law that state's a driver can not drive at 70klm in a 100klm zone, and I know it is annoying but we just have to learn to be patient, and Rod did you give the guy in the rodeo enough time to pass himself or did you just blast pass him, because really he had the right off way to pass the vehicle infront 1st, if you had off collided, I wouldn't like to be you trying to explain it to the cop's, with all the witness's there I think they would be looking at you causing the incident if it happened, we just have to learn to slow down and wait, and this seem's to be a bad road or time off day that you travel on because this is the 2nd or so bad post you've made about going to work.
Old 19-07-2006, 08:52 PM   #17
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:

And what would the alternative route be to suit their speed if they are all 100klm limited road's into town,????????.
Old 19-07-2006, 08:54 PM   #18
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And P-platers are forced to go 80km/h, the same thing can happen.
Old 19-07-2006, 09:00 PM   #19
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura

I do it routinely when overtaking " out bush ". A lot of it comes down to reading the situation when you are caught in one of those slow moving " will I won't I dear " lines of traffic. I tend to chew up a couple of cars at a time rather than do a hero run. Having said that, it still stuns me when manifestly inadequate vehicles try a balls out manouver that I wouldn't even contemplate in the T with premium brakes etc. For those old farts on the list , the quote from Hill Street Blues comes to mind " Be careful out there people "

Steve
Old 19-07-2006, 09:12 PM   #20
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo
well said.
Old 19-07-2006, 09:16 PM   #21
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
And what would the alternative route be to suit their speed if they are all 100klm limited road's into town,????????.
What town would that be?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 19-07-2006, 09:46 PM   #22
goXF
Now AU powered

Quote:
What town would that be?

Bendigo I believe.

Current Car: 2002 AU3 Falcon Forte sedan, 51,000Km when purchased - NOW: 81,000Km.
Old 19-07-2006, 10:10 PM   #23
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I didnt see a mention of a horn being used. If you're next to a car you're passing and it starts to pull into your lane, why didnt you use your horn? To get the appropriate response, the horn should be used instinctively as soon as you see it start to move over.

Part of defensive driving is to keep an eye always on the traffic being passed, to make sure that you can do something to avoid a collision when you can see it starting to happen. Jamming on the brakes is not a good idea in this situation, if theres traffic behind.

I remember many years ago when I was doing my licence test, a dog walked across the road just near the police station that I was heading at the end of the test. I used the brakes to slow down so I wouldnt run over it. The tester took strips off me for not using my horn. (I passed anyway)

Unfortunately these days if you use your horn, some think its road rage, and others just ignore it. Why is it compulsory to have a working horn when getting a RWC?

Personally I wouldnt blame the 180B driver if there was a prang, I would blame the Rodeo for pulling out:

1. Without looking properly before pulling out, and
2. Not indicating for sufficient time before pulling out. How many times you see a car pull out, then indicate?

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 19-07-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old 19-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #24
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
What town would that be?
Could be any town really, you tell me a town that doesn't have 100klm limited road's leading into it, you said the driver should have found another route that more suited their speed, you tell me a town that has 70 klmh road's leading into it????????.
Old 19-07-2006, 10:19 PM   #25
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Another thing to note here is I know which part of town Rod (the thread starter) lives, he is out in a rural area out off town, and the time of day we are talking about here is very early in the morning, which I might add is not the best time to be on the road in a roo infested area, so would you still blame someone for doing 70klm at dawn???????.
Old 20-07-2006, 12:18 AM   #26
ck11

I dont see why it is a problem. You come across all types on the road, just get onto the other side and overtake. I am sure people have the judgement and skills to overtake safely. People dont have enough experience overtaking in single lane roads hence the problems.

I was born and travel on holidays to a country where suicidal driving/ overtaking is the norm and downright dangerous (near misses within inches are expected), so the conditions here are pretty timid.
Old 20-07-2006, 01:18 AM   #27
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Good luck making it the Rodeo's fault

On Vic Roads it is illegal to pass more than one vehicle at the one time, you passed two - sorry but you would of caused the accident

Insurance and Vic Roads would agree...........

Of course if it was more than one lane then you can pass as many vehicle's as you like..........this does not mean two lanes one each way it means more than one lane for the direction you are travelling

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 20-07-2006, 01:35 AM   #28
jim1606
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo
how fast is that in MPH?
Old 20-07-2006, 03:53 AM   #29
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
On way to work this morning came up behind two cars following a 180B doing 70km/h in 100km/h zone. First car behind (VR Commode) rounded him up first opportunity and went around .. bit too close to oncoming cars for my liking, but got thru OK. This left 180B, followed by 90s Rodeo, followed by me (SV8), followed by 80s Honda Accord

At the next passing opportunity, I checked Accord behind me, indicated, pulled out and punched the SV8. The guy in the Rodeo decided to pull out just as I approached the side of his ute. When I saw him move, I hit the brakes (I wasn't half way up his side), but the guy in the Accord behind me was so far up my clacker he almost hit me as I braked. Anyway the Rodeo driver realised I was beside him, weaved back in, so off I went .. with the Accord driver caning hell out of it to pass me too ..

All in all a bit scarey. Could have been 4-car pileup because:
1. Someone in a clapped out 180B won't do 100km/h in that speed zone on a dry, straight road.
2. Someone in a Rodeo won't look in rear vision mirrors before changing lanes
3. Someone in a Accord won't leave enough room between them and the car infront
4. Someone(?!) in an SV8 likes to punch the accelerator to pass people, who may not be aware he is one the move ..
This can happen to anyone as usually does it's really bad that someone won't overtake when they get the chance and then only do it when someone else does.
Happen to my brother nephew and i coming home from Bathurst last year, One truck was doing 65 in a 100 zone with about 30 cars behind him and growing, We in the Territory were passing cars as we got closer to the truck, With the guy behind him in a Ute sitting there for a good 10min with what we thought was good clear traffic at times, Enough to pass. By the time we got to him he pulled out on us and then got pretty ****ty, For about the next 20min he was right behind us doing 110.
Old 20-07-2006, 05:08 AM   #30
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Might have been a clapped out 180B , but this happened to me years ago in my XD wagon , going back to Sydney from Bathurst via "Bells Line of road", 1am in the morning , pouring rain , and next thing I knew I couldn't get more than 60k's up hill (those who don't know the road , it isn't good) apparently the points had moved . Next thing I knew there was a line of cars behind me , and I pulled over whenever I could , but some places there's no where to go . Cars were passing in "crazy places" and some passing 3-4 cars at a time . Sometimes a little patience is needed , cos not all the time people drive slow intentionally .

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
Closed Thread