Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Default NZ Gets Focus Wagon

Currently New Zealand only gets the Hatch, but Ford is now going to offer a Focus wagon, however still no XR5.

From Car.co.nz

Ford New Zealand today announced it is expanding its popular Focus range to include a 1.8 litre turbo diesel wagon and a 2.0 litre petrol wagon.

"We are delighted to confirm that these two new exciting vehicles will be on sale from January 1, 2007 for $35,290," said Richard Matheson, Managing Director of Ford New Zealand.

"Focus has always been recognised as a vehicle offering superb build quality and class leading driving dynamics – it is a quality product that is fun to drive, incredibly comfortable, impeccably safe and unstintingly reliable," he said.

"Like our other European-designed Focus products, the wagon is manufactured at the Saarlouis, plant in Germany.

"Focus sales have increased 21% year-to-date from August 1 2005 which places it fourth in the increasingly competitive compact car segment. We're confident the arrival of Focus wagon will continue this success.

"The Focus wagon is a vehicle that our customers have told us they want – high-mileage fleet operators are excited about the option of the diesel engine.

"Private customers who are looking for a family car will appreciate the small-car handling with the large car capabilities and luggage capacity,"

Powerful yet economical

Power is transferred smoothly from the 1.8 litre Duratorq TDCi diesel engine by the 5 speed manual transmission while the 2.0 litre Duratec petrol wagon is mated to a 4 speed automatic.

The diesel engine produces 85 kW of power at 3700 rpm and 300 Newton metres (Nm) of torque at 1900 rpm while the petrol delivers 107kW at 6000rpm and 185 Nm at 4500rpm.

In line with other 2.0L automatic Focus bodystyles, the fuel economy of the Focus petrol wagon is 8.0 l/100km while the turbo diesel wagon is 5.7l/100km.

"The excellent fuel economy of the diesel wagon and comparatively lower price of diesel at the pump will allow high-mileage fleet operators to quickly recoup the cost of the diesel road user charge.

Exterior design

"In designing the wagon, we wanted to get the graphics as sporting as we could and give it a little Italian flair," said Claudio Messale, then-Chief Designer of Focus.

"Just as with the 5-door model we were able to achieve this because the centreline of the wagon is relatively upright, which not only forms the basis for the exterior sculpture but also allows for a large luggage compartment within the styling of the car, meaning that there was no compromise in what is a functional yet very stylish vehicle," said Messale.

Increased luggage capacity

The Focus wagon will provide customers increased luggage capacity and more flexibility – the loadspace length to the back of the rear seats is 1.04 metres and, when the rear seats are reclined, this increased to 1.67 m.

Safety

The Intelligent Safety System is a key component of every Focus - it includes driver and front passenger airbags, ABS brakes with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution, Beltminder system, crash severity sensor and pyrotechnic seatbelt pretensioners.

"All Focus vehicles in our range feature driver & front passenger, side and side curtain airbags as standard, adding to the already excellent safety levels of the vehicle*."

The Focus range

"As with all of our base-level Focus range, cruise control, front seat side airbags and power exterior mirrors are standard in addition to air-conditioning, ABS and a CD player," said Matheson

Other models in the Focus range are the sporty Zetec hatch which features stylish 17-inch alloy wheels, front fog lamps, a unique sports suspension, stylish body kit, a six-disc in-dash CD player and alarm.

Zetec drivers can choose from a 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission and will also benefit from Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and a 4-spoke steering wheel with cruise control.

The range-topping Ghia comes complete with four-speed automatic transmission with Sequential Sports Shift, six-disc in-dash CD player, six-way power adjustable driver's seat, dual zone climate control air-conditioning, unique 16-inch alloy wheels and alarm.

MODEL PRICE
Ford Focus 2.0L Petrol Manual Hatch $30,990
Ford Focus 2.0L Petrol Automatic Hatch $32,690
Ford Focus 1.8L Diesel Manual Wagon $35,290
Ford Focus 2.0L Petrol Automatic Wagon $35,290
Ford Focus Zetec 2.0L Manual $36,590
Ford Focus Zetec 2.0L Automatic $38,290
Ford Focus Ghia 2.0L Automatic $36,990
* Side curtain airbags can be deleted which reduces the price of the vehicle by $1000

The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Much easier to import a vehicle from NZ than UK
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #3
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist
The diesel engine produces 85 kW of power at 3700 rpm and 300 Newton metres (Nm) of torque at 1900 rpm while the petrol delivers 107kW at 6000rpm and 185 Nm at 4500rpm.

In line with other 2.0L automatic Focus bodystyles, the fuel economy of the Focus petrol wagon is 8.0 l/100km while the turbo diesel wagon is 5.7l/100km.
A staggering 85Kw doesn't sound like much, well thats because it isn't, but 300Nm sounds quite healthy for a small car. Fuel consumption of 5.7l/100km sounds good too - now remind me why people buy the Toyota Prius? Are they Onions?
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 11:40 PM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist
A staggering 85Kw doesn't sound like much, well thats because it isn't, but 300Nm sounds quite healthy for a small car. Fuel consumption of 5.7l/100km sounds good too - now remind me why people buy the Toyota Prius? Are they Onions?
Priuses make me cry so they must have something to do with onions.
Old 19-09-2006, 01:20 PM   #5
Uni

pics?

otherwise, it sounds very good. The lancer wagon here was a great idea, but mitsu could never quite pull it off.

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

I recall reading somewhere where a journo wrote that Ford were considering including the "wonderfull 100kw" Turbo Diesel to the Focus range in 2006. So where does the 85kw engine come from??

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #7
BlackLS

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
Uni

that looks very similar to the V50...

funny that, they're based on the same car. gotta love platform sharing

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 08:04 AM   #9
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Focus wagon is a vehicle that our customers have told us they want – high-mileage fleet operators are excited about the option of the diesel engine.
Tossers !

I told them I wanted an XR5, but do they bring that in... NO !

Nice little wagon, though & finally a diesel.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 11:55 AM   #10
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Notice the UK guys get the LX wheels on their Zetec......
Old 20-09-2006, 02:18 PM   #11
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow 300 Nm
If we could get that engine in the hatch body.. My WRX had something like that from memory.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 02:46 PM   #12
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by More revs
Wow 300 Nm
If we could get that engine in the hatch body.. My WRX had something like that from memory.
Just about to say that. 168kw/300nm for a MY03 and this thing only has 85kw. Sounds pretty good.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 08:08 PM   #13
FRA
Mr Focus

Is this Focus wagon a 7 seater?
What is the towing capacity?
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 09:16 PM   #14
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No to 7 seat capacity....

People above obviously dont understand TDI principle (How it works), or have been living under a rock whilst the Diesel revolution has been happening..............
Old 20-09-2006, 11:21 PM   #15
FRA
Mr Focus

no worries.
Would be cheaper to use diesel over petrol and I wouldn't put in diesel.
Would only cost me $10 to fill the tank.
If you know whats been happening in the diesel revolution of late.
It's bullsh##t how it get's made but it's simple to make.
The OIL companies don't want you to know about it.
It's called bio-diesel.

I'm a petrol head not a slow diesel head....lol
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 07:37 AM   #16
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you will find most diesels are actually a little quicker than an equivilant sized Petrol. EVen if not quicker, a Diesel will have bucket loads more torque... and all from a just above idle...
Old 21-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #17
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i believe deisel is still seen as a pollutant only used by old hilux's and trucks. Diesel has been mis-concieved lately and its true potential may be starting to show. but as i said many people think deisel is dirty, rough and pollutes the most because petrol was marketed and forced into new cars. petrol companies dont want you to know alot of things, especially the true power and potential of Deisel, the fact that cars can run on water and the fact they charge more than they should for petrol (money hungry bastards). i personally am sceptical of putting in deisel from a petrol company due to last 2 time i filled my grandfathers hilux up it broke down due to water in the tank. i do not doubt that Deisel is more efficient and more power can be obtained from it but at the moment no one is doing anything to show the rest of the world about its potential. sure there are TDI's but when was the last time you saw a tv commercial for a TDI car promoting its fuel effeciency.

just my couple of cence anyway.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #18
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shhh you'll get flamed....
Old 21-09-2006, 12:22 PM   #19
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
i believe deisel is still seen as a pollutant only used by old hilux's and trucks. Diesel has been mis-concieved lately and its true potential may be starting to show. but as i said many people think deisel is dirty, rough and pollutes the most because petrol was marketed and forced into new cars. petrol companies dont want you to know alot of things, especially the true power and potential of Deisel, the fact that cars can run on water and the fact they charge more than they should for petrol (money hungry bastards). i personally am sceptical of putting in deisel from a petrol company due to last 2 time i filled my grandfathers hilux up it broke down due to water in the tank. i do not doubt that Deisel is more efficient and more power can be obtained from it but at the moment no one is doing anything to show the rest of the world about its potential. sure there are TDI's but when was the last time you saw a tv commercial for a TDI car promoting its fuel effeciency.

just my couple of cence anyway.
The main problem to why modern diesels have only been recently introduced in Australia is because only in 2003 Australia's diesel was refined enough to be able to run on the new euro-high-tech diesel engines. It had to have less than a something like 50microuns of sulfur per litre?

Diesel is only now starting to take off in Australia, Peugeot's 407 "over 1000km per tank" advertisement is a perfect example of pulling people towards diesel.

Personally I wouldn't mind the TDCI engine in my Focus

cence = cents?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 12:30 PM   #20
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS

cence = cents?
neva mind lol

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 12:55 PM   #21
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

If I could have bought a Focus Zetec in diesel instead of my XR5 I would have.

If I could have bought an XR6 in diesel I would have chosen it over both of them.

Radically different cars all three, but Ford need to understand that significant fuel cost savings will sway even a speed junkie like myself!
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 03:56 PM   #22
whippet_zetec
Supes

If Ford Australia imported the Focus TDCi Wagon I'd be the first to buy one!
Old 21-09-2006, 07:05 PM   #23
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet_zetec
If Ford Australia imported the Focus TDCi Wagon I'd be the first to buy one!
After me
Old 22-09-2006, 12:40 PM   #24
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mmm I love the smell of diesel in the morning...