Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-11-2006, 11:32 PM   #1
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Stuff they try to flog after signing the deal on a new car

Just wondering whats peoples thoughts are when you've finally agreed on a purchase of a new car, with all the options you want, and have negotiated a changeover price with the salesman when...

a lady is called over to try to sell you paint sealants/protectants, interior/upholstery protectants, anti-corrosion stuff etc etc, for quite a price on top of what you've already spent on the deal.

They then try to make you feel guilty if you dont buy it. I bought the paint sealant/interior/anticorrosion package some years ago when I was younger and more naive, but was sure they only put it on the top surfaces and not on the sides further down, also wasnt sure about the upholstery having being effectively protected. You just can't see what they've done. Never again after this.

I now anticipate them, and have the answer ready, but they still persist.

Whats your thoughts on this?

Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 11:35 PM   #2
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Always amusing to sit there listen, agree and seem really interested, and then just say NO.

They gave up after the 3rd time I did that.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
Rob
Living the dream

Its standard fare for most dealerships, the aftermarket person (usually female) has the hardest job - selling useless shit after the deal is done. When I worked at Chrysler, it was always awkward introducing the aftermarket girl, because you knew nobody wanted it anyway.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 11:41 PM   #4
pecker73
Falcon Addict

Its a crock of poop !!

I have owned 5 cars from new, and each time they wheel out the same barrel of crap...

$695 for a window tint... You need paint protection, its crucial !! So your telling me the paint job is that bad it won't last ? Get the ****** out of here...

This time round, i told the sales guy up front... I'll tell you what i want, don't try to pressure me into anything else or I'll walk...

He actually did what I asked, no vist from the after sales bimbo...
She did call a week after delivery though....I said "lady, I'm happy with what i got, have a nice day"...

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 12:15 AM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Haaa thats right this all rings a bell,

I bought the Festiva new, and im no rocket scientist but i understand some basic mechanical pricipals and have fooled around with many a car before the festiva purchase.

The after sales gal warned me that if i didnt get the under body protection the inside of the car would be very noisy as i had "performance sports tyres" (14 inch alloys whoopty doo)

She also told me that the underbody protection was a layer of rubber over an inch thick, that would esentually support the whole car and absorb the shock should i drive over anything that would srape the underside and otherwise cause a dent in the floor.

Oh, and if i had to get the paint protection i could leave my car out all day without a worry that it would fade (car got resprayed anyway 2 years into its life)

OH yeah.... thats right... the fabric protection was meant to be so good that if i spilt a drink on the seat it would actually just pool there as a puddle and i could go get a sponge (or a straw) ans just suck 100% of the fluid straigh back off the seat leaving no stain.

Window tinting was quoted at something over double what i got it for the week i got the car.

etc etc etc... I remember acting all coy and niave when she was speaking to me, making out like i had no idea what she was talking about and taking a genuine interest in all she said... just to see how much BS she would spin....

total price of the after sale mods was around 20%of the cars sales price....

who do these guys think they are kidding?????
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 12:51 AM   #6
kinksta
Luxojet

the woman goes to dad and i after they dropped the car off from having the tint applied (with also a scratch on the mag!) have you changed your mind on the paint protection, and dad said nah she'll be right. the phone rang so he left. as he walked off the chick goes to her buddy she bought along (right in front of me) "oh its such a pity since its a nice looking car. it's really disappointing when you see a great car....blah blah blah" i couldn't believe she said this in front of me. dads wasted his money on this before and didnt want it to happen again. plus anyone who knows me knows that my dad has his cars in immaculate condition. none have faded.... just another way of catching suckers out!
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 10:46 AM   #7
MRJUCY
Fordless

A few times I've had friends telling me about the "great deal" they got on paint, fabric, random astroid or any other protection pack the dealership girl has managed to flog them & it's so hard having to just bite my tongue & nod because I know they've already done their dough so no point making them feel bad about it now.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 11:02 AM   #8
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

All I can say is that there is a lot of profit in dealership aftermarket stuff.

I would never committ to any aftermarket product from a dealership.

Old 17-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #9
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

haha they even did this when i bought my BA second hand from a ford dealer, "your car already has tinted windows and paint protection, would you care for interior care and anti corrosion blah blah blah*

lady, just spent 15g on a car, cant afford no more other shit dag nabit
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 11:47 AM   #10
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The story's sounds exactly like I got sit there & listed be all interested. Then say thanks but NO thanks. (on more than one occasion). I even commented to her at the end I liked her Calvin Klien glasses. The only thing I thought about with any seriousness was window tint. She quoted me $495 for window tint I said that's not even in the ballpark after a bit of a chat said she would do it for $240. I decided not to get it at this stage (but gives you an idea of there markup's)

About 15 years ago when I was very young and green. I bought a new (secondhand) VL Commodore 5 speed for $14500 (60k) from a dealer which I thought was pretty good at the time. But I also bought the aftermarket paint & fabric protection rip off. Plus I bought the NO GO engine immoboliser. Which from memory engine immoboliser's would have been pretty new technology. How that technology has got cheaper the NO GO brand engine imboliser cost $695 dealer fitted. (but never missed a beat) Had mates have some cheaper brand immoboliser's fitted within 12 months or so of this time but they often had a few problems eg NOT being able to start there car. Sold the car three years later with 90k's on clock for $10500.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 12:00 PM   #11
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Depends how cute she is??
Old 17-11-2006, 12:04 PM   #12
BAFalconXT
Sold...

It took me longer going through that cr@p than signing the papers to buy a car. Its like Dominos, $4 for garlic bread or a 1.25 coke when you pay $5 for the pizza, its where their profit is. They even do it when you buy a second hand car from Holden. Next time I buy a new car, I will tell them I will only buy it if I dont have to talk to their "ripoff" sales department.
Old 17-11-2006, 12:18 PM   #13
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it was market price, fair enough. But its marked up 1000%. They cann't be that stupid not to realise its waaaaay over priced ? When I bought the Fairlane I got the protection package at market price. Window tint for $250 instead of $695 from same place. You just gotta negotiate.......
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #14
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Depends how cute she is??
Very good point. And the lass at City Ford in Crown Street Sydney is a great sort. And if your reading, hi, its Adam................... :
Old 17-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #15
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

yeah, they tried to sell me tint for $700 odd - dreaming really. And the paint and fabric protection is a waste of time, it does nothing. My best mate worked for a toyota dealer a few years back. And one thing he always told me was NEVER to buy anything aftermarket from a dealer, not even headlight protectors. If you can get them thrown in then great. But don't buy their over priced crap !!
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #16
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Always amusing to sit there listen, agree and seem really interested, and then just say NO.
I did the same as Laminge.

When I bought the F6 I let the girl tell me mall about how all this stuff was going to add value to my car ... and it ONLY cost $2195!! When I said thanks but no thanks, she gave me an explanation DVD to take home. Out of curiosity I loaded it and the damn thing froze my computer!

I purchased $50 worth of Meguires polishing products and Mothers leather protector, took it home and in half a day the job was done properly inside and out.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 01:12 PM   #17
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This happened to me when i brought the ghia. I kindly informed her that I know about these products and who sells them to her. :P She shut up after that.

I also got hit with, Do you want window tinting ? Also a polite No. !!

But i all i wanted was to go out and drive my new car. but i had to listen to the spiel for 30mins.
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 01:24 PM   #18
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

A friend bought a 4WD last year.

On the day of pickup, he was offered an alarm and tinted windows for $800 extra. He kindly declined but discovered these were already on the car!

He was pretty pleased he didn't let them charge him for what was already in the purchase price!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 01:28 PM   #19
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
A friend bought a 4WD last year.

On the day of pickup, he was offered an alarm and tinted windows for $800 extra. He kindly declined but discovered these were already on the car!

He was pretty pleased he didn't let them charge him for what was already in the purchase price!

GK
What I want to know is how did he just discoverd the window tinting. What I didnt notice that b4 signing up for the car? :

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 03:02 PM   #20
AUIII

This happened to me buying my second hand AU from a ford dealer, it was embarrassing the misses and I both repeatedly said no no no but continued to be harassed for what seemed like hours, it got quite uncomfortable she would not let up.

We were even followed out to our car when we left with her pointing out various blemishes on cars and advising us the thousands it would take to repair them and how the crap she was selling would save us from this.

But it didn’t end there, then you have to deal with the follow up calls.

I am wise to it now I am going to do what BAfalcon XT said next time and say I will purchase this car only if I do not have to deal with the after sales lady……….
Old 17-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #21
RACINGdork
bf xr6t + 351 xe esp weee

my mrs is a ming mole, has been for 2 weeks.she has been employed to do a job, so she has to do it.it really nice to see her come home crying because shes been told where to go by rude, arrogant customers. like i said its her job.

but i can see where you guys are coming from
RACINGdork is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 03:40 PM   #22
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah its extremley annoying - you say no and they say "just hear me out" - you sit their for half an hour bored out of your brain and daydreaming about running them over while they yap on about anti-rust this and flux-capacitator that ect. ect.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 04:21 PM   #23
Den.
That Canadian guy.

I kinda doubt you guys worry much about rust protection but here it's our biggest scam. Ironically in some cases an aftermarket rustproofing job will VOID the factory warranty! Yet the dealers try to sell it!

And how about delivery and destination charges? Aren't they the same thing? If you offer to pick it up elsewhere, could it be dropped. Such rip offs!
Old 17-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #24
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACINGdork
my mrs is a ming mole,
Lol, is that the informal term for this role? Classic.

Geez it must be a difficult job for someone who is upset by rude customers. But hey, only 2 weeks in. Im sure her skin will thicken a bit. Like you said - no need to be rude to these people. I dont see that "f--- off" would achieve much more than a simple "no thanks".

But i guess somone who just slapped down 30 something grand on the table probably feels like the most important person in the world!!!
Old 17-11-2006, 05:04 PM   #25
RACINGdork
bf xr6t + 351 xe esp weee

id doubt id give her another 2 weeks. hehe she actually left telstra to do this job, and she was on really good money and was 12-8pm
RACINGdork is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #26
AUSGTI
Das Auto Bitches!

Yea i got sucked in for the Leather Proctection pack saying how it would do this and that. I picked the car up and all i could smell was Armorol...... And the clear coat protection pack, well it looks like its on there...
Old 17-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #27
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Ming mole! That's a crack up! :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 17-11-2006, 06:09 PM   #28
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
What I want to know is how did he just discoverd the window tinting. What I didnt notice that b4 signing up for the car? :
It may have been their stuff up that they were trying to cover perhaps. In any case, he got some extra value. Beats paying for it! LOL!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 17-11-2006, 10:10 PM   #29
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Yeh I got a great looking girl to give me the usual story on car care products, paint protection, tint etc etc...but she actually told me not to bother with the electronic rust protection and that she thought it was a scam!!

I ended up getting the paint protection ($495) not really sure if they are effective or not, told her I'll do the window tint another time thank you.

Next time I'll skip the after sales people, I know how to take care of my car

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2006, 10:27 AM   #30
Nappa
Impressive...

to you guys it may all seem pointless, but there are plenty of people who will sign up for paint, leather under body protection.