Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-11-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default /rant re: turning; lanes

Hello.

Thought I'd crack the fizzles and state an annoyance this morning as I was driving.
Ok. I was turning out of a street with traffic lights that turned out on to Burwood Highway. I was turning right from the left lane (as is allowed).

The road rules state that when turning, you turn into the corresponding lane. If you are in the 2nd lane from the middle of the road, you maintain your line and turn into the same lane that corresponds to you current position.

So! Here's my rant.

A stupid moronic lady decides to break these laws and cause a potential accident. At the lights, she was in the right turning lane and as we entered Burwood Highway (to a set of lights almost instantly), she goes from the right lane into my lane, being the left with no indication.

Had we had an accident, she'd be to blame.

Bah, can't stand such selfish attitudes.

So to put this productively, be careful out there as it seems people don't know wtf they are doing out there. Driving is complicated only because there are people out there who don't know what they are doing.

So make it safe for yourself, and make sure you know what you're doing.

uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
So make it safe for yourself, and make sure you know what you're doing.
Also, be aware of what people around you are doing!

I have encountered this as well, on Monday night. Similar situation where there were two right turning lanes at the lights. Got around the corner and the guy in the Commondore in the right hand lane comes half way across in to my lane before realising what he had done and then proceeded back in to his own lane. Thankfully I was back a bit so there was never any chance of a collision, but he got a shake of the head from me anyway.
Old 22-11-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
pb02
inconceivable!

I've had this problem a few times. Had one just the other day actually. It's usually followed up by a toot of the horn and the usual head shake from me, and the suspect has a dumbfounded look on his or her face and blankly stares at you as if to say.. "wha... there are other people on my road?!?!?! how did this happen???"

Sheer ignorance and stupidity along with no respect towards other road users.
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
LTDHO
The one and only

Mate that is one of the many laws that are no enforced unless she was speed or hooning.

I see it everyday at Russell anf Flinders Street, Melbourne.

Most people to not know the road laws and the laws are not advertised. Accidents still happen!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 11:42 AM   #5
jason71
google is my friend

Quote:
I've had this problem a few times. Had one just the other day actually. It's usually followed up by a toot of the horn and the usual head shake from me, and the suspect has a dumbfounded look on his or her face and blankly stares at you as if to say.. "wha... there are other people on my road?!?!?! how did this happen???"
I don’t know what makes me angrier, the lane swap or them not realizing that they did anything wrong!!
jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #6
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When there is only one right-turn lane I think (in NSW anyway) you can choose which lane to turn into (you can't when turing left). I'd like to see it that you *always* turn into the same lane. it might save confusion in cases like yours.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 12:27 PM   #7
MarkAW

hey Guys
Its all very well when you got 2 tonnes of steel and plastic around you. Occassionally I choose my other transport - see avatar - You very quickly learn to have a spacial awareness at all times and treat every other driver as a potential ****head even before he/she proves it.

Bikers who can't develop this spacial awareness usually end up as a statistic. Maybe everbody should spend some of their driving life on two wheels as not only will it give many a new skill to improve their driving but may eliminate all of those who should never have been given a license in the first place.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 12:32 PM   #8
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Just be wary of others and GET OVER IT!!!
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 12:35 PM   #9
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trust no one, assumption is the mother of all ****ups!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 01:31 PM   #10
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

So she made a mistake,life goes on, get over it..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 01:44 PM   #11
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Mate, I had the same thing this morn, except I was on a motorbike, just get through a traffic light, and this knob, cuts me off and changes into my lane - locked the rear wheel cause I was slowing so much - pulled up next to him (his window was down) and said "USE YOUR MIRRORS NEXT TIME, TOOL!" - he just looked behind him, then at me and said - "Ok, sorry"....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 02:38 PM   #12
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This comes from the same sort of driver vagueness and lack of awareness (including not using rear vision mirror) as with people who stay in the RH lane, drive through school crossings etc. And sorry nugget378 such drivers are not often just making a 'mistake', they are actually not paying attention while driving and thus cause accidents. Driver eduction needs radical improvement.

And such behaviours need to be the focus of state attention rather than the mindless enforcement of speed limits. Sure speeding is a cause of accidents but it is inappropriate speed in the circumstances that causes them, not necessarily related to the posted limit. Most of these behaviours (drifting across lanes, sitting in RH lane, ploughing through school crossings etc.) occur within the posted limit - but as far as the pollies are concerned that seems to be OK because it is not 'speeding'.
Old 22-11-2006, 03:24 PM   #13
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Uranium, I feel for you! I got so ****ed off when driving home last night because I got tailgated by an idiot in a gold EA or EB Falcon with aftermarket driving lights. He came up so fast behind me as I did the limit that I thought he might have smashed into me, then he stayed so close to me that I couldn't see his headlights. He had plenty of time and room to go around but he stayed there for about 90 seconds.

After he turned off behind me, I pulled over and took a breather. I was so disgusted by this idiot. Does anyone know him on here? This was in the western suburbs of Melbourne. Sheesh.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 05:43 PM   #14
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My theory of driving upholds though.

Over time a lot of people lose the finer points of driving. My old man criticises me when I drive because I refuse to drive 30m/h under the limit, but he never indicates.
My mother didn't know the turning thing until I told her.

Funny.

I think there should be re-testing. You will find A LOT of adults will be denied licenses. They'll expect a cakewalk, but a lot will go in overconfident and self-righteous when in reality, they're a liability to those who do the correct thing.

But in the case of "get over it", yeah. Thank heavens this wasn't a dangerous situation, but my point is that people need to be aware of others and themselves.
It really gives me the peanuts when people aren't aware of themselves, nor give a flying fruitbat about those around them.

And Jason, you're dead right. She didn't think she was doing anything wrong. If she had, she wouldn't have done it.

Play it safe.
Old 22-11-2006, 06:52 PM   #15
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

the one that ****es me off is ****** in the head soccer mums in landcruisers, patrols, pajeros, etc, who go to do a U-turn from the turning lane, and because the incompentent whores dont know how to handle something that size, the swing back to the left by anything up to a whole ******* lane just so they can do the u-turn......

i swear i'll smack the next silly ***** who tries that stunt, and i dont give a **** who's around
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 08:22 PM   #16
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
the one that ****es me off is ****** in the head soccer mums in landcruisers, patrols, pajeros, etc, who go to do a U-turn from the turning lane, and because the incompentent whores dont know how to handle something that size, the swing back to the left by anything up to a whole ******* lane just so they can do the u-turn......

i swear i'll smack the next silly ***** who tries that stunt, and i dont give a **** who's around
Yeah I've encountered that too.

The other thing I hate about said soccer mums is when I'm on their right... overtaking them on a multi-lane road and just when my A pillar is next to their rear bar, THEY DECIDE TO CHANGE LANES!!!! **** me dead, how can you not check to see if someone is there or not? Its not like I creep up to them either!

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 09:00 PM   #17
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

My friend does it constantly. She's just not aware of what she's doing, and is a very scared, nervous driver.

I don't know how she passed her dricing test.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 09:13 PM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
I don't know how she passed her dricing test.
Probably the same teacher that passed your spelling! LOL.

My pet hate is people who STOP to give way at a roundabout. They think they can only look when it's their turn to go and have not even checked prior to that moment. So if the roundabout's clear, they still have to stop to check, I've nearly been rear ended twice this week because of this - obviously the cars behind me thought they would be going soon.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 09:16 PM   #19
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This has happened to me quite a few times, and luckily i was alert enough to avoid these twats...
Biggest culprits are 4WD's, especially when you are driving a ute, these buggers cannot see utes.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 12:52 AM   #20
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
The other thing I hate about said soccer mums is when I'm on their right... overtaking them on a multi-lane road and just when my A pillar is next to their rear bar, THEY DECIDE TO CHANGE LANES!!!! **** me dead, how can you not check to see if someone is there or not? Its not like I creep up to them either!
Ever heard of a blind spot? They won't see you in their peripheral vision, and quite possibly not in the rear view mirror either - of course a simple head check (huh, what's that?) would solve the problem. It's not a good idea to drive in this position near another car for a prolonged distance though.

All the situations described make a good case for defensive driving!

The best one I have seen was at a left-turn slip lane - car 2 was looking at gap in the traffic and decided to drive off without checking car 1 had actually gone first!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 02:26 AM   #21
havoc19
Banned

i dont wanna alienate a certain minority of driver but im a fully licensed driver and number of times p-platers have almost killed me 0 number of times old ppl have almost killed me 5
havoc19 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 12:36 PM   #22
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc19
i dont wanna alienate a certain minority of driver but im a fully licensed driver and number of times p-platers have almost killed me 0 number of times old ppl have almost killed me 5
What annoys me is that people think that 18-24 year olds are involved in the most accidents.

No, that is not correct.

18-24 year olds are killed most often on the road...yes.
BUT, people aged 65+ are involved in the most accidents. They don't die though because when you're driving at 20km/h, it's hard to put a major dent in your car.

And that is tongue-in-cheek