Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 31-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
JoesAu

Default GUTTED mY cAT TODAY

My exhaust seems to have quitened down a little since i had it done 2 years(1 muffler 1 hot dog) ago, so i i decided to take off the hI flow cat and rip the insides out. The car sounds better especially on idle its really deep now. It sounded tinny wen i first started it but after a drive its dissapeared. Can definately hear the induction way louder now it sounds great. im gonna get some1 to drive it later so i can hear what it sounds like outside the car.

Old 31-12-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i had to gut the cat on my EB it went quiet and gutless as, wouldn't rev over 3000rpm, i gutted the cat, and the second it fired i knew it was fixed, and it sounded deep as too, and went sooooo much harder.
Old 31-12-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Thats great... thanks for allowing more poisonous fumes into the air to make us all sick.

BTW, the EPA have been known to visit this site and with a thread title like that its going to be interesting to see how long till you get a visit. Especially since it only tool me about 2 minutes to find a picture of your license plates on the forums.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 31-12-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Thats great... thanks for allowing more poisonous fumes into the air to make us all sick.

BTW, the EPA have been known to visit this site and with a thread title like that its going to be interesting to see how long till you get a visit. Especially since it only tool me about 2 minutes to find a picture of your license plates on the forums.

I dont think its good to advertise what they have done but I think old cars (that should be running on leaded) running ULP with VSR lube are far worse. !!

Fellas next time dont advertise this fact.
Old 31-12-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

doesn't worry me, got rid of my EB 6 months ago.
Old 31-12-2006, 02:28 PM   #6
JoesAu

hey didnt think about that i have a spare waiting in the shed to go in anyhow, it was only a experiment gutting the cat cos it was stuffed. Thanks for the heads up casper.
Old 31-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
redef

oh no not the EPA who cares. they are to busy chasing rice burners. it wont sound tinny if you put pipe through the centre of cat shell.
Old 31-12-2006, 04:24 PM   #8
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redef
oh no not the EPA who cares. they are to busy chasing rice burners. it wont sound tinny if you put a pipe through the centre of cat shell.
Nice attitude. Cats were put on cars for a reason. Namely so carcinogenic poisons are reduced so we have air quality slightly better than sitting in an oil refinery smoking cigars.

Old 31-12-2006, 04:29 PM   #9
DanXR6T
Eat more peanuts....

I was thinking the same thing Casper, but you've already said it...

$10k fines anyone?

Formerly owned:
'99 AU Falcon Ute
'88 EA Falcon GL
Old 31-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #10
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'm afraid i'm with casper on this one... without the cat there is some seriously bad stuff coming out your exhaust... you and your family will probably cop the worst of it too... other then health.. there are those massive fines as stated above...

definately not something i'd advertise on a forum.. if i ever have a busted cat.. i'll just buy a new one..
Old 31-12-2006, 04:43 PM   #11
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have fun passing rego next time, it sorta will stick out a bit

Old Rides:
BF MkII 07 XR6 , Seduce in colour.... : Growler Airbox, custom exhaust and other goodies
AUII TE-FORTE
Monsoon Blue,Full Cobra Performance exhaust system, G+D CAI, Crow Cam, Tickford Suspension, TE50 Kit, RDA Slotteds, Ridin on Advanti 18's
Old 31-12-2006, 04:43 PM   #12
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

If it is so bad, then why are older leaded fuel cars allowed to run ULP without cats?
Old 31-12-2006, 04:47 PM   #13
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they don't run on ULP?? not to my knowledge anywayz.. they use lead replacement fuel.. not unleaded...
Old 31-12-2006, 04:51 PM   #14
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Older cars are governed by the emission laws at the time they were built. Its a case of no government was prepared to retrospectively introduce emission laws on these cars as the cost to the population to replace them would be immense and the voter backlash would be equally immense.
On average the Australian car fleet is 10-15 years old. Given that ULP (and cats) were introduced in the XF in around 1987 this means that the VAST amount of cars on the road today are running cats. Every few years the emission controls get stricter and stricter so that, as time goes on, the average road fleet gets cleaner and cleaner.
The older leaded fuel cars are now the exception to the rule and, as a percentage of the road fleet, a fraction of a percent. Its simply not viable to have what is deemed a minor percent of the road fleet to be retrofitted... YET.

Its not that these older cars are not emissions nightmares (they are and everyone knows it), its that they no longer make up a significant proportion of the road fleet (and are disappearing fast) to justify retrospective emissions controls on them.

Old 31-12-2006, 04:57 PM   #15
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

talk about being a disgrace... use your head...just for a marginal increase in your auditory pleasure you have decided to give several young children cancer..

Last edited by Casper; 31-12-2006 at 04:59 PM. Reason: no need for name calling
Old 31-12-2006, 04:59 PM   #16
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

My boss has a XL falcon with a 302w same exhaust as mine but is twice as loud and he has no cats, but that said it sounds nice but when its idling you cant stand behind it without getting watery eyes and a funny nose feeling.

ill stick with my cats fitted and working.

Shaun.

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
Old 31-12-2006, 05:53 PM   #17
redef

pot calling the kettle black. so you all have standard cars with no mods or after market computers. anyone changed there cam shaft. does running a cat make you feel better. suppose you dont do burnout as well dont preach 2 me.
Old 31-12-2006, 05:57 PM   #18
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Quote:
pot calling the kettle black. so you all have standard cars with no mods or after market computers. anyone changed there cam shaft. does running a cat make you feel better. suppose you dont do burnout as well dont preach 2 me.
English?

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
Old 31-12-2006, 06:00 PM   #19
amisupposed2b

Besides all the arguement, I must admit. Taking off you cat, may sound great. BUT it isn't a cool move to the environment, because if the environment suffers, we suffer, it may not even be your generation, but maybe you kids generation.
Old 31-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #20
JoesAu

my cat is'nt off and it still has a bit of honeycomb in there. Bloody helll iwont say anything next time ive started world war 3 over a bloody cat convertor.
Old 31-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #21
redef

Quote:
Originally Posted by neishaxr8
English?
If your car has performance mods chances are it is worse 4 the environment. if you guys are so worried should go buy a hybrid car.
Old 31-12-2006, 06:34 PM   #22
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Without entering in too any debate or starting WW3 besides being against the law breaking EPA emissions etc are you possible doing any damage to your car at all by gutting your cat?

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
Old 31-12-2006, 06:39 PM   #23
redef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
Without entering in too any debate or starting WW3 besides being against the law breaking EPA emissions etc are you possible doing any damage to your car at all by gutting your cat?
none at all you would be surprised how many cars have wrecked cats or none. im a mechanic by trade
Old 31-12-2006, 06:57 PM   #24
JoesAu

EXACTLY RITE. i know that many people who have gutted their cats rite out its nnot funny. by the way the car goees heaps better.
Old 31-12-2006, 07:00 PM   #25
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

End of the day rules are rules...
Old 31-12-2006, 07:02 PM   #26
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
That has got to be the STUPIDEST argument I have ever heard. You are equating the change of a number of components to better performing ones as equal to removing what is probably the most environmentally significant piece of equipment on the car?
As a mechanic by trade you are obviously aware that, in most performance setups, cars are actually tuned to run leaner and burn more efficiently.. in essence that is effectively what an edit, unichip, chiptorqe, etc are designed to do, increase efficiency. The same applies to larger exhausts, bigger cams etc. They are all designed to use the avaliable fuel, air and spark to their most efficient means. That is the basis of any performance gain.

As for burnouts.. no, I personally don't do them on the street at all. However, in the big picture, the burning of small amounts of rubber (and yes, the fumes and smoke is noxious) on an irregular basis is absolutely nothing compared to a car running no cats for any extended period of time.

Now argue, preach, assert and whine all you like, you will find VERY FEW on this forum that would advocate the removal of cat converters from any car running ULP.
Its people like you that end up giving car modders a bad image.

Closed Thread