Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-02-2007, 03:05 AM   #1
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Default Weightloss Gurus.

Hi all, are there any health/weightloss/fitness gurus here?

Heres the deal, At the beginning of the year I promised myself I would lose atleast 40kg... i'm currently about 50kg over ideal weight.

Well 4 weeks ago I drastically changed my diet..... no flavoured milk or soft drink etc, no pasta, limited rice, limited potato, switched to multigrain bread, no butter/margarine, healthy cereal for breakfast, no eating after 8pm etc etc.
I started walking 4km every second night and I drink between 2 & 4 litres of water per day (ya get used to it).

To date I have lost 9kg, 4cm off the chest, 6cm off the stomach and 4cm off the waist.

The problem is that the last couple of times I went walking I've been struggling a bit, not puffing or short of air or anything, but getting weak in the legs and slightly blurry vision.
I never go hungry and always have 3 meals a day and obviously plenty of water. I also take multi vitamins.

Should I be concerned or would this be considered normal for what i'm doing with diet etc ??

Details: I'm 30yrs old, extremely unfit re: lazy, and have a genetic condition rendering me unable to sweat...... I have sweat glands in my hands and feet but thats it... everywhere else completely dry no matter what the conditions. Which is why I go walking at night. (called Ectodermal Displaysia if interested)

If the walking is causing me harm is there something else I can be doing which is more suitable?

eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 03:37 AM   #2
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Firstly, congratulations on making the decision to do something about your health.
You will have a bit of a hard time getting started...When i Push myself to hard running, sometimes I dry reach...it aint nice...I had shin splints last year when I went from No running to running up Hill 3Km's
Give yourself time to adapt...take it slow. Your body will ache and your Heart is probably getting some much needed work.
Keep it up with something like this.
Get an Orbital Tread Mill...It's Low impact and the equivalent to riding a bike standing up and also using your arms to push. Cardiovascular work is the key to losing weight. Weights come later when you want to tone your slimmer self up.

Hot chick not included

The amount of water you drink concerns me...1 to 2 Litres per day is plenty...of course more is better if you are working out.
Your Diet is good...I would look at Low GI Options as you still need a good amount of Carbs through the day like sweet potato and Basmati Rice. Whole grain/meal bread is awesome.
Maybe you should consult your GP or a Dietitian to formulate a Diet that will accommodate your needs.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:02 AM   #3
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Cool thanks for the info.

Concerning the water, I need to drink more in Summer or hot days due to me not sweating and overheating. I always drink atleast 2 litres but sometimes 4.
I used a heart rate monitor the first time I went walking, average was 131 and peaked at 162, i'll use it again soon to monitor differences.
I really only concern myself with calories and keep under 1200 per day.

I dont run due to arthritis in the right ankle (old fracture) but thats not to say I wont when theres not so much weight being placed on it.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:10 AM   #4
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would seriously consider seeing a doctor and mentioning everything to them and just have a really good general check up.

Most places that offer diet information, support etc all generally tell you to have a medical check up before starting any exercise or dieting.
This is so that any changes can be noted and monitored successfully.

Strain on your body can happen in mysterious ways and its far greater to be in contact with a medical professional during your weight loss time especially.

Well done on the loss so far and well done on making the decision and making it happen.

Good luck with the continuing weight loss and from memory there is a thread here on the forum (bar area I think) to do with support and that with weight loss. That might help you or maybe the people within that thread would be a good source of information.

fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 04:18 AM   #5
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Yeah I spose I should go see the doc, I did get my blood pressure done about 2 months ago and it was normal.
The only other thing I can think of is that around xmas 05 I was diagnosed with Glandular Fever..... wouldve thought it'd be gone by now though.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:12 AM   #6
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Thumbs up

I'm not over weight or by any means a guru but one thing I have noticed is my Sister and her husband shred kilos, like 10-12kgs in 5-6 weeks using the Jenny Craig book plus a litte exercise.

That points system rocks. You get like 21 points depending on your size, a big mac is worth say 8 points, water 0, slice of bread 1 etc.....you can still eat what you want as long as you stay within your points for that day. You can add points over to the next day.....I tells ya, it works.

For me, I eat everything - In moderation. Stop when you're full. Eating extra is like taking your car to red line, in most cases it's a waste, you don't gain energy (most cars make their peak hp well below red line)......just wastes your engine aka health. :
Old 03-02-2007, 08:28 AM   #7
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First of all well done on getting out there and deciding to do something about your weight. I recently lost 69 kg's over a year and have been maintaining it for about 3 months now. I used the weight watchers program which is what i asume TS50 is talking about as i thought they were the only one with a point system??? But yeah What your doing diet wise sounds good just watch your serving sizes on your breakfast cereal as they can be quiet deceptive, don't be concerned with the amount of water your drinking the more the better. i can easily go through 4 - 5 l a day as well. As far as the exercise when i first started i was very unfit and started of just walking, then as i lost weight over time i was able to job for a little bit then walk, the jog a bit longer until i now run for 7 - 10 km when I go for a run. I think i have experienced something similar to what your talking about when i was jogging and took it as a sign my body was telling me i was overdoing it. I was doing 2, 7 km runs a day at the time. I backed of and it stopped happening. I would go a see a doctor just to be on the safe side, also wouldn't hurt to get a complete check up any way it will give you a good comparison base for later on down the track as you loose the weight. So good luck with it, stay motivated and remember YOU CAN DO IT.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 09:30 AM   #8
dan.76
always reading posts

get a comlete check up from your gp, and tell them whats going on. at the very least you will have a record of how much you have improved to feel proud of.
dan.76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #9
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

Well done on losing weight. You have made a great start. The light headed symptom COULD be down to the fact that your heart may be struggling to get the blood to your brain. This will come as your fitness improves. However, as others have said, see a doctor first. Good luck.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
bonk182
BonK182

Yes, congratulations on the weightloss program and your progress. Youll find at the end of it, a healthy lifestyle will be a fantastic way of living and you will get so much more out of life. Firstly, lets talk about your calorie intake - 1200, is pretty low for someone what is just moving into exercise. remember you simply cant have a calorie/kilojoule deficit too high. in otherwords, dont stress your body out by now having enough energy, it will have an extremely hard time trying to metabolize the fat that it has never had to worry about before. Depending on size and height, an average man would use approximately 10,000 kilojoules a day at rest. which is equivalent to about 2350 calories-ish. your intake is about 1200, plus the calories your burning doing your walks at night - is putting your body in quite a harsh deficit.

I usually go to the gym 3 times a week - monday, wednesday, friday, for about an hour to an hour and a half, and cardio on tuesday, thursday and saturdays, which is usually a 1.5km swim (under 30mins) or a 5km run (under 20mins). but i do a small carbo load before i attempt each. if you can try and walk everyday, or if you get sore legs - because i assume you walk on the road/bitumen then try along the beach, or park. I have troubles with my knees on occasions and did suffer from shin splints for a little while during football season, which i why i started to swim. swimming is fantastic low impact exercise, just try a couple of hundred meters to begin with.

Waterwise, because you cannot sweat - do you urinate alot more? If so, alot of that water is probably going straight out of you and should not impact your performance at all. Im not familiar with your condition so im not going to comment definitely. But i would assume that your water intake is doing more good than it would bad.

So try increase the amount you eat (maybe a few slices of bread or a biut of rice) a few hours before you exercise, and move your walks down to the beach or park, away from the bitumen. and remember its a slow process - dont rush your body, or you wont be able to maintain your program, keep your deficit shallow.

Oh, and by the way - Goodluck

James
bonk182 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 11:16 AM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Great work on the current weight loss.

Just take the walking easy. Because you can't sweat much, you could be overheating when walking. I'm not a doctor or anything, but I know that when I have a shower in summer and it's a little too hot, especially after working outside, I feel a little faint.

I agree with the previous advice about consulting your doctor. Find one that is supporting and see him/her once a month. Get them to measure you and keep track of your progress.

That may be a another great motivating factor, clearly you are motivated and have already done so well.

Maybe cut down the length of the walk by a km and see if that helps. You can always work up to the 4km distance again.

Keep up the great work, all the best.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #12
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Depending on size and height, an average man would use approximately 10,000 kilojoules a day at rest. which is equivalent to about 2350 calories-ish. your intake is about 1200, plus the calories your burning doing your walks at night - is putting your body in quite a harsh deficit
Definately. 1200 calories a day sounds like hardly anything. Plus factor in the fact that you're burning energy too.

As a comparison, I (was) about 20kg's over my ideal weight (now only 10kg) and my calorie limit for the day is 1900. I found this site here with it's online food calculator, recipes and info really good www.calorieking.com.au

There's also a sticky thread in the bar section about weight loss too. Check that out.

Quote:
The problem is that the last couple of times I went walking I've been struggling a bit, not puffing or short of air or anything, but getting weak in the legs and slightly blurry vision.
This could be your body not used to taking in all the fresh air you're getting into you (lungs working harder from the exercise), but as I have been advised in the past, if you're concerned see a doctor for a professional opinion.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #13
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Ok cool, excellent advice thanks.

My usual diet is:

Brekky - 3/4 cup of Just Right with Lite White milk.
Lunch - Salad in a bowl, ham/salad s/wich on multigrain (or chicken/salad).
Dinner - Steak or Chicken Schnitzel and salad (sometimes stir fry).

Every 3 weeks or so i'll have a splurge like having chips with my meat or maybe even KFC or something.

I do get hot when i'm walking obviously due to limited sweat glands so i'll have a shower immediately after walking.
I still feel really good when i'm walking and its getting easier everytime I do it, its just those couple of things that were a bit worrying.

I might change my routine to a 30mins walk every night instead.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #14
big_pete
Sublime

ive been trying to lose weight lately aswell, and have lost a decent amount (havent weighed myself though, but ive dropped atleast a shirt size.
and ive found that doing weight training 3 times a week really helps me, especially if you used to feel 'fat and lazy' so to speak.

you can see and feel the results and building up muscle helps burn more fat/calories aswell.
thats my tip anyways
Old 03-02-2007, 12:51 PM   #15
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_5litre
Ok cool, excellent advice thanks.

My usual diet is:

Brekky - 3/4 cup of Just Right with Lite White milk.
Lunch - Salad in a bowl, ham/salad s/wich on multigrain (or chicken/salad).
Dinner - Steak or Chicken Schnitzel and salad (sometimes stir fry).

Every 3 weeks or so i'll have a splurge like having chips with my meat or maybe even KFC or something.

I do get hot when i'm walking obviously due to limited sweat glands so i'll have a shower immediately after walking.
I still feel really good when i'm walking and its getting easier everytime I do it, its just those couple of things that were a bit worrying.

I might change my routine to a 30mins walk every night instead.

Thanks guys.
Try to walk for 45mins and that is no more otherwise you go into muscle gain stage(like taking the 4pot out of a mini and dropping a 440 in there)
No less other wise you don't loose the wieght as much and no more cause you won't loose any... Don't eat within 2 hours of walking walk at a constant speed (don't try and kill you self) do what ever speed you can keep up for 45mins then eventually you will get quicker and then sometime you will be able to run home on the last 5mins of your walk...
trust me I did this with the mum-inlaw(something to do) Exept we did it early in the morning (4-6) is the best time and you don't eat or drink anything befor you go...

but good to here that you are giving it ago...(I am very thin and never had to worry about anything like this..)But good onya mate I admire your efforts...

NC Fairlane GHIA
Series II
I6.
Mods. 2.5" cat back
Clarion HU
Soundstream speakers amp and subs
Lowered
DL LTD rims
: thats it!
For the moment... :
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 04:06 PM   #16
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First on all, congrats on having a go, its the most difficult thing to get the motivation to have a go.

It sounds like you guys are leading him in the right direction, but i have lost about 20kg in the last 15 months or so, and did so, by going cold turkey cutting carbs out after lunch. No Breads/Pasta/potato after lunch for me, continuned my previous exercise routine, and everything just fell into place. Before lunch it open season on anything i felt like eating, and i did.

After a while, i realised that having a biggish pasta meal for lunch was the best bet. and then having a steak sandwich for dinner on wholemeal bread.

I have only 10kg to go, until i hit my school fighting weight, and I will share with you, the last 10 is going to be the hardest, as i need to up the cardio activity side of things.... dont need any more muscle... lol

Best of luck to you.

Cheers
Marty
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 10:40 PM   #17
nobbystang

Awesome effort, glad to hear your dropping weight and sticking to it. Definately would get a gp or dietitian to check you're getting the right amount of nutrients out of your diet. I've downloaded calorie king as well and found its alot of work but once setup, can be a very beneficial tool. Was surprised just how much fat and little protein was in my diet!!

I found this on the Biggest Loser website, you might find the diet interesting to compare to what you're eating.

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 12:24 AM   #18
XR8GRL